Cloth Diapering

Rash on bottom?

JJ_13JJ_13 member
edited July 2013 in Cloth Diapering

My LO is developing a strange rash which I haven't seen before. It's a few dime-sized red, slightly raised patches on her bottom - like on the actual butt cheeks, not close to the crack/folds/genitalia. Anyone know what this is and how to treat it?

We use BG 4.0 during the day, and currently use overnight sposies at night (have had trouble with leaks and not wanting to change the sheets in the middle of the night). I have not changed anything in her diapering routine in months. We use CJ's BUTTer with the BGs and Aquaphor with the sposies.

So far, it does not seem to bother her. I will call the pedi too but thought you all might have some thoughts.

ETA: I guess I did change detergent recently - about a month ago, I changed from EcoSprout to Tide Original. I did this because they just weren't getting clean enough. Still, it's been about a month since I made that change so I kind of doubt it's the detergent... I did recently strip them using Dawn per BG's website advice. I wonder if it could be that. Anyway, any advice is welcome.

Re: Rash on bottom?

• bookworm982bookworm982 member
    edited August 2013
    Are you doing a bleach strip every month per BG's recommendations? After about 7-8 months of using BG 4.0s, DD started getting a similar rash. We tried every kind of stripping imaginable, and finally resorted to a 1/4 cup bleach in the wash cycle with a few extra rinses. The rash cleared and DD hasn't had an issue since. We now follow the instructions and bleach once a month even though I was hesitant to do so before.

ETA: We also switched detergents from Country Save to Tide Original. While that didn't solve the issue, I do feel like the diapers get cleaner so we stuck with the switch. :)
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • tjkdlhbtjkdlhb member
    edited August 2013

Allergies can develop over time.

DD was fine with Ecos at first, but then got rashy so we had to switch back to Tiny Bubbles.

ETA:  It sounds more like a yeast rash though. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks all. Very helpful. I talked to the Pedi yesterday and they said to bring her in, Pedi said it didn't look like yeast to her (which is what I originally thought it was as well) and to use cortisone cream twice a day, dry well after cleaning between changes, and moisturize well (using CJ's). I did the baking soda bath last night and it did seem to look a little better this morning. I do the bleach occasionally but probably not once a month. I should probably be more diligent about that. Thanks for the tips... I'm hoping it goes away and is not yeast. Getting rid of yeast is awful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"