Baby Names

Memphis

I am expecting number 4 in a few months. We're team green and have our girl name picked out.. But DH and I are undecided on a boy name. I am loving the name Memphis but didn't realize it was as popular as it is.. I've seen it used for both boys and girls but I see it as more masculine than feminine. What do you all think? Is Memphis better suited for a boy or girl?

Re: Memphis

• DEFINITELY all boy. I'm not crazy about it though, NMS.
    Dx PCOS 09/12
    Married my best friend 10/12/12
    TTC 1 since 10/12
    NTNP Fall 2013 to focus on a healthier lifestyle
    Anniversary

• It's nms. I don't really like names associated with places. That being said, if you really like it, I think it's unisex.
    DX: Hashimoto's - August 2012

Me:30 / DH: 31

BFP#1 after 15 cycles on 12/1/2013 EDD 8/7/2014

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • All I can think of for most city names like this is that it must be the city where the child was conceived.
    (Wouldn't that be awful to be a teenager and be asked that about your name?)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Wow I have never met/heard of a memphis so don't see it as "popular" at all.  I have no idea if its girl or boy since to me its just a city?    If I had to say though definitely boy as for a girl I'm afraid it would have a bit of a stripper vibe??  sorry..
  • Memphis is popular for a name? on a human?

god, I hope not

• At least it's not Tennessee... (I'm looking at you, Reese Witherspoon)

Anyway, it's not a human name--or a good place name.

If you like place names, may I suggest Savannah, Sydney, Georgia, Charlotte, Adelaide, Alexandria, Cheyenne, Florence, Madison, Virginia
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
  • I also am surprised it is popular. I think it is better suited for a metropolitan area than a human.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I know I'm late, but have you ever been to Memphis? It's slummy and dangerous and not at all a nice place to be named after. A few years ago, it was the homicide capital of the US. More murders than Detroit, NY, LA, Chicago...that's quite a feat. Sure, the Egypt connection is exotic, but few people will think of that and everyone will think of Tennessee.
  • I love Memphis for a boy. It was on our long list. 
  • I have to agree I don't think that is a popular human name...if you are looking for the "is" ending, how about Travis or Curtis. If you like the "Mem" sound, maybe Emmett or Emerson?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I didn't think of it as a popular name. BUT It makes me think of the movie Gone in 60 seconds. The guys name is Memphis Rain. I like that but not sure how I feel about it real life?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love place names- except Memphis. Dallas, Austin, Brooklyn, etc? All great! But Memphis is not a good name. If you must use it then it sounds like a boy name
    <3 Delaney. 4.5.12. <3 <br> Photobucket
  • I agree that the place names are just... not my style at all. 
    If you must, I think it's more masculine. 
  • No...Just no.

photo 444e1a74-1f01-47b5-8489-88b2999f2e54_zpse873dcde.jpg 

Mommy's sweet girls

Kaatje Grace 4.26.2010

Eloise Hope 2.10.2012

• A woman I went to high school with has a 6 year old son named Memphis.

It's definitely not my style, but I would say it's masculine.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"