January 2013 Moms

Mirena IUD Question

I know I'm late in the game with starting BC again. It looks like I'll be getting the Mirena IUD inserted next week. I used the Paraguard IUD pre-baby and it hurt like a MF upon insertion. For those who got the Mirena IUD inserted post-baby, did it hurt? Were you incapacitated with cramps for the night? DH is out of town, so I want to plan to have a friend with me if I need to.

Thank you!

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Mirena IUD Question

• I've only had Paragard placed, but I'm guessing it will be a little easier because your cervix is different (it's always slightly dilated) once you've had a baby.  I think it's probably still a little soft.  I'm trying to think of how long it takes for it to totally go back to normal and I'm pretty sure it stays softer for up to a full year after having a baby.  These things should all aid in the process.  It might still be uncomfortable though (it's different for everyone) and I'm *guessing* your body will likely react similarly with cramping, but it's hard to say.

I hope it goes smoothly for you!
  • edited July 2013
    Thank you both! That makes me feel better.

• Loading the player...
  • I had some mild cramps during insertion, but it was over almost immediately. However, I did have cramping and bleeding for about 3 weeks off and on. Not anything incapacitating, but it was annoying.
  • ==N====N== member
    My body completely hated it when it was put in. I almost passed out, my blood pressure dropped to 70/20, I had to stay at the office for 2 hours until it went back up then call for a ride home. Even after that I had it in for 2 years but it gave me migraines.

On the plus side I never had a period on it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • The insertion itself wasn't bad and I had mild cramping/bleeding. I did get my first period a week after having it put in, this was 2 months ago and haven't had one since.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was nervous for the insertion and I literally couldn't feel anything. I was only 2 mo PP so my cervix was still quite soft apparently.  I had a little cramping for a couple days and a little bleeding for a few weeks. I don't think it was a real period, just Mirena side effects. I'm still bfing and no period since. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have my consultation to have an IUD put in Friday, so i'm behind the curve too. Though these answers have made me feel a lot better. 

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

• I used Mirena before I had a baby and I agree, the insertion was a nightmare.  Had I known, I would have gotten drunk before I went in or something :).  I am planning to use Mirena again at some point soon, so glad to hear that it's better for people post-baby!
  • I used Mirena before I had a baby and I agree, the insertion was a nightmare.  Had I known, I would have gotten drunk before I went in or something :).  I am planning to use Mirena again at some point soon, so glad to hear that it's better for people post-baby!
    Did you experience any side effects like acne on Mirena? I've heard that there is less cramping on Mirena than with Paraguard.

• I felt nothing when I had the paragard put in post baby.

Jacob, 1/14/13
    Did you experience any side effects like acne on Mirena? I've heard that there is less cramping on Mirena than with Paraguard.
    I had some pretty serious initial cramping for about 3 months with Mirena. Plus I was hospitalized for a burst ovarian cyst that resulted in internal hemorrhaging (which eventually stopped without surgery).  This may or may not have been a result of the IUD, it was never determined.  While that stuff was no fun, I lost a ton of weight after the hospitalization (LOL) and after the three months I had no side effects and no period for 5 years. I was pretty happy with it, becuase I've had really bad experiences with the pill and estrogen-based birth control.  I didn't notice any unusual outbreaks or acne at all.
  • When I had mine out in I could barely feel anything. It was wonderful! I had some mild cramping a couple days after nothing painful. I did have off and on bleeding for about a month it seems, but for the past 4 months I have not had a period so far.
  • Well my mirena perforated my uterus and ended up somewhere between my liver and colon and had to be surgically removed so I am a little anti Iud.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • spainy17 said:
    Well my mirena perforated my uterus and ended up somewhere between my liver and colon and had to be surgically removed so I am a little anti Iud.
    Your response sounds reasonable!

• spainy17 said:
    Well my mirena perforated my uterus and ended up somewhere between my liver and colon and had to be surgically removed so I am a little anti Iud.

O_O

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"