Stay at Home Moms
Options

Random food poll

How many pounds of meat do you need to cook for dinner for your family for one night? I know it probably varies between bone in vs boneless, steak vs chicken, etc but for poll purposes well use boneless chicken.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Random food poll

• Options
    StefibethStefibeth member
    edited July 2013
    Well, I tend to cook a pound of meat most often, but that will serve us for dinner + lunch (leftovers) the next day.  Depending on what it is I might use less meat.  Like more like 1/2-3/4 lb.  
  • Options
    AA0417 said:
    You can stretch chicken (and other meats) further with dishes like stir-fries, fajitas/tacos/similar, and other veggie-heavy meals versus eating a stand-alone meat with side dishes.

I realize this. I was more curious on how much meat the "average" family went through a night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    CnAmom said:
    I use 2-4 boneless skinless breasts per meal depending on what I'm making.
    Me too.  For stir fry or taco/burritos I use 2.  If we're grilling just the breast 4, so DH has lunch for the next day.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't weigh our food but because I just portioned out a big pack of chicken today I did the math and I think I cook roughly 1/2 lb when we do chicken with sides, so approximately 1/4 lb each.  We buy the family packs of boneless skinless chicken breasts and then I cut each one in half because they are way larger than we need for one meal.  
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    Depends...DH is seriously like a bottomless pit because he runs (or maybe has a tapeworm, haha)...so close to a pound per meal,which usually leaves leftovers.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce."
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    CnAmom said:
    I use 2-4 boneless skinless breasts per meal depending on what I'm making.

Yep
  • Options
    If you mean eaten as a baked/grilled chicken breast rather than being put in soup or pasta, about 3/4 pound. DH and I both eat about half a breast and the boys split the other half.
  • Options
    The nights we have meat I'll do 2 whole boneless skinless breasts. One for DH and me, half for the kids and half for DHs lunch the next day. When I do fish I make 4 filets. For turkey burgers I'll do 1 lb and have dinner for us (the girls won't eat it) and two patties left over for a lunch for DH (if it's bunless he needs 2 patties). We don't eat pork or red meat.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Usually 1-2 lbs at a time, but I'll divide that between a couple of meals. Like tonight, I'll do part of the chicken in a stir fry, but I'll go ahead and cook and shred another pound to make chicken salad tomorrow. Or I'll freeze the extra so it's something quick to heat up.
  • Options
    For boneless breasts, I'm usually preparing them whole, so I get three and we each eat one, with leftovers from DD's and sometimes mine depending on what size.
  • Options
    NandaB said:
    If you mean eaten as a baked/grilled chicken breast rather than being put in soup or pasta, about 3/4 pound. DH and I both eat about half a breast and the boys split the other half.
    Wait, are you saying your family splits one chicken breast?
    Do you mean the full breast like they sell at Whole Foods, that's actually two breasts to most people? Or do you really just eat half a breast? 
  • Options
    NandaB said:
    Wait, are you saying your family splits one chicken breast?
    No, hon. Granted, I've been dieting, but I'm not trying to starve all of us to death. :) I meant, 3/4 pound total. So one half of a breast for DH, the other half for me, and then a third half that the kids share. I get two breasts to a 1 pound package, so each half is about four ounces.
    ;);)
  • Options
    Wow, I just went way crazy on the smileys.
  • Options
    ta78ta78 member
    I would guess approx 3/4lb. 2.5 breasts for DH, DS and I.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• Options
     Depending on the size of each piece, H eats one and DS and I share one. DD does not eat any meat.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Boneless chicken I use 1 pack.. it comes 3 in a pack, and I use it all.  Typically the pack is about 1.50-1.75 pounds, sometimes 2.. depends on the sizes of the breasts.

DH is a runner, and burns a crap load of cals.  So he usually eats double (or more) the food I do.  If I'm grilling chicken, for example, he'll get 2 breasts and I'll take 1.  DD doesn't eat much meat. If it's a stir fry or whatever, I still use the whole pack because he eats a ton of it.   But sometimes I do have some leftover for lunch the next day.

E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Options
    edited August 2013

1/2 lb to a lb, depending on what I'm cooking and what is being added to it.  We usually have a night of leftovers too.  We aren't big meat eaters and I tend to cook casseroles or add things (beans, veggies, etc.) to make it stretch.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It depends on what I'm making, but for boneless chicken breast around 2-3 lbs. Feeds 2 adults and 4 kids, and there's usually leftovers for DH's lunch.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"