October 2013 Moms
Options

Newborn Attending Bridal Shower

I am helping plan my future SIL's bridal shower this weekend. Yesterday a final head count e-mail was sent out. Today I received an e-mail saying there will be one more guest attending. Thoughts?

Re: Newborn Attending Bridal Shower

• Options
    ohkayohkay member
    Forgot to upload e-mail :)
  • Options
    AjoydAjoyd member
    One of my friends brought her new baby to my shower, which was totally fine. Although she was more than 4 days old! I would not bring a baby that small anywhere, let alone a shower with a room full of people.

Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. DS born 10-16-13.
    TTC #2 in December 2014. BFP 12-31-14. Expecting a September baby!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If the host, bride to be, and mother are all fine with it, then I think it's fine.
  • Options
    If the mother and the bride-to-be are comfortable with it I don't really see a problem. Those are the only two people who should really have a say so IMO.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ohkayohkay member
    I doubt anyone will have an issue with the new mama and baby coming. I'm sure everyone will be excited to see baby Brooklyn.
  • Options
    i am not getting why this would be a big deal?  in those early weeks if i have to go somewhere my son is coming with me, i have to bf, so wtf?

• Options
    It's not like she's bringing a toddler that will be running around and being a distraction. I don't see the issue.
  • Options
    dh13 said:
    I'm just wondering how she really thinks that this baby will be EXACTLY on time (unless she has a scheduled C sec, which in that case, she would be still healing by 4 days PP) lol. I mean, whatever floats your boat, but I don't see an issue with the baby coming (if it is in fact on time).
    Well since the shower is this weekend- the mom must have had her today or is in the process of having her??? and is still planing to go to the shower. 

I wouldnt care if someone came with their newborn to my shower- but there would be no way in hell I would be going to a shower 4 days pp! nope- never.

Bison (FCS) beats Big 12 Champs Kansas St (24-21)!!!
    imageimage

• Options
    I agree, it's not a toddler. I had someone bring a 14 month old to mine (We did not know she was coming or would have had toys) and it did not make for a very fun shower. She was into everything, mom was mad (I kid you not) that there was no little person friendly food outside of fruit, then it was "to cold" for her daughter. *sighs*

Unless the Bride to be has an issue, I would not see an infant as an issue unless it turns into a "lets pass the baby around" party and distracts from the actual party. I had to bring my eldest to one because he was on a heart monitor. I kept him with me and kept him happy, quiet, and did my best not to distract from the bride. I did talk to the Bride though. She was the one who insisted I come anyway.
    DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
  • Options
    I just can't figure out why she would want to go.  I'm always looking for excuses not to attend these thing I would think having a 4 day old would be a pretty good one.  

photo 45ad94ec-8f7e-4e11-afa6-d58d009e0ecb_zpse556e368.jpg  image image

• Options
    I personally would not have been ready to go out with a 4 day old. I woulnd't want my kid around all those germs that early either. If this was me, I'd go alone for like 2 hours and then go home.

But if the mom is ok with it and so is the bride-to-be, there's not much you can do.
  • Options
    ohkayohkay member
    dh13 said:

I'm just wondering how she really thinks that this baby will be EXACTLY on time (unless she has a scheduled C sec, which in that case, she would be still healing by 4 days PP) lol. I mean, whatever floats your boat, but I don't see an issue with the baby coming (if it is in fact on time).

She went into labor last night, but do to some complications she had to have a c-section. I think she was born at 9ish last night.
  • Options
    I don't see the issue with a newborn going anywhere mom goes. They aren't mobile and sleep a lot. When they do cry they are usually quieted with a boob or bottle.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • Options
    ohkayohkay member

Hang on a minute, I must have this all wrong here. She had a C-section last night, which means she probably won't get out of the hospital until Friday (earliest) and then she is going to a baby shower the next day?? Good lord that woman is a trooper. 

ETA: Are you sure she wasn't on morphine when she emailed that to you???
    The mother is young. I think she is 17. I know she had another year of high school left. Maybe she is feeling better than most after a c-section.

The mother didn't email me. My future SIL's MIL sent out the email. The girl that just delivered is her niece.

• Options

ohkay said:

The mother is young. I think she is 17. I know she had another year of high school left. Maybe she is feeling better than most after a c-section.

The mother didn't email me. My future SIL's MIL sent out the email. The girl that just delivered is her niece.

Alright, that explains the smiley face in the email then. Back to the original question though. A c-section is a major surgery and whether she is 17 or 47 she will still need to recover from it. I honestly don't think she will come so I don't think you will even need to worry about it.

I'm not worried about it. I was just curious about other bumpies thought. Babies and kiddos don't bother me at events... Unless there is some heavy boozing. My daughter is about to be four and will be attending with me. We are all pretty laid back and the shower isn't super formal. I am a little concerned that she is over doing it. Surely if it becomes too much she will have a family member take her home. She doesn't live that far away from the location.

• Options
    Who cares? It's not like she's messing up the food order. I would guess that if that mom can't bring her baby, then she wouldn't come. I know I wouldn't. It would be different if she was bringing multiple children, but it's a baby. Everyone loves seeing a newborn.
  • Options

ohkay said:
    Hang on a minute, I must have this all wrong here. She had a C-section last night, which means she probably won't get out of the hospital until Friday (earliest) and then she is going to a baby shower the next day?? Good lord that woman is a trooper. 

ETA: Are you sure she wasn't on morphine when she emailed that to you???
    The mother is young. I think she is 17. I know she had another year of high school left. Maybe she is feeling better than most after a c-section. The mother didn't email me. My future SIL's MIL sent out the email. The girl that just delivered is her niece.
    Ok, this explains a LOT! I'm guessing she isn't coming and fSIL's MIL is just being an idiot. The new mom prob wouldn't be so thrilled knowing her plans were being set that way.

If she had been the one to text that, I would say that it's a pretty obnoxious way to bring your newborn. If you want to bring a baby with you, you must ASK not INFORM.

That said, I agree that having a tiny baby there isn't such a big deal since they mostly sleep - but I also think it's strange to bring your newborn unless you are extremely close with the bride and feel like you really, really can't miss the event.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • Options
    Newborns at events have never bothered me because they kind of need to be tethered to mom when they're that little...but as others have said, there's no way I'd be up for a shower in 4 days and there's REALLY no way I'd let my LO around that many people that early.  The fact that she's so young explains why she doesn't realize maybe it's not the best idea.

Keep us posted, I definitely want to know how this one ends!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"