Cloth Diapering
Options

Looking for help from the experts on STINK issues!

Hi!  I am hoping you guys can help with some advise on what to do here.
First off, I have never had stink issues before.  Nothing changed in my wash routine, except I got a few new diapers!
I use a top load washer, soft water, coldwash/hotwash/coldrinse/coldrinse, often but not always line dry, and I generally use Arm and Hammer Purfume and Dye Free.  Like I said, I have never had stink issues with this routine before.

My only thought is that my little one has been starting to eat some more solids and perhaps I got to complacent with EBF poop and didn't rinse this poop.  There were a few poopy diapers on there and about half of the diapers were brand new.  The new diapers had been prepped with 6 washes and this was the very first time they were worn.  Well I washed them after that first time being worn and all my diapers smelt like poo (all of them, new and old)!  So I washed again a couple of times but with only a touch of soap (like a very little bit!).  When wet, they still stunk so I tried a few hot washes with a regular amount of soap since the less soap hadn't worked.  OH, and the diapers were prepped only using soap in one wash so it really shouldn't have been any buildup on those diapers. After 4 or 5 washes I tried a drying to see if it was just some random wet issue, and they still stink.  I probably cemented the sink into them by drying them!

I suspect it was lack if rinsing the poop that caused this issue, but how do I remedy it?  Do I have to strip? That feels so wrong on new diapers....

What are all your thoughts?!  Anybody have this same experience?

PS, I also washed a brand new wetbag (red) with these new diapers and all my inserts are now pink! Oops!  Good thing I have a girl! :)

Re: Looking for help from the experts on STINK issues!

• Options
    Oh and in case it matters, it is all different kinds of diapers.  Grovia, JC Trade, Bumkins, BabyKicks, Kawaii and more...
  • Options
    Poop smell = diapers aren't clean. All the stripping in the world won't solve this. You are probably right in thinking it was due to not spraying/scraping solid-food-poo diapers.

Try more detergent and/or a stronger detergent (like Tide). I would try doing a hot pre-wash as well.

Also, have a look at the diaper washing post from the people at Abby's Lane. They have a great stink troubleshooting guide: https://www.cloththatcounts.com/?p=997
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks so much!!  You have been very helpful and that article is a great resource as well! I think it may help my sister as well.
    Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"