December 2010 Moms

Those who have had a miscarriage

I have a question for those who have had a miscarriage. I know there is a discussion board on this topic, but I feel comfortable with you all! I went to the doctor for my check-up today to make sure everything was fine. Doctor said everything looked and felt good. As she was getting ready to walk out the door, I asked about trying again. She said to wait until after my next period and for my numbers to go back to 0 (was at 22,000 in the ER, then 670 last Monday, and 68 yesterday). I asked why and she said she wanted to make sure the uterus is back to normal and didn't want to get confused about the numbers since you can't tell when the one pregnancy ends and the other begins. Immediately after meeting with the doctor, I had an ultrasound. The tech said everything looked perfect and completely normal. She also said it was a perfect time to keep trying because you are most fertile after a miscarriage.

Personally, I'm ready to start again. Once because I'm ready for another baby (well, as ready as you can be to take on two kids!) and it would be perfect timing (I'm a teacher). So my question (after the novel I wrote) is whether or not you waited until after your first period after the miscarriage to conceive. Any issues with not waiting until after the period?

TIA!
BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Those who have had a miscarriage

• lrn327lrn327 member
    Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.  Regardless if you're trying again or not, it's still very hard.

I probably mentioned this on your OP about your m/c, but I had my m/c before C on March 2, conceived on March 17, and found out I was pregnant with him on March 29.  Very fast!!! They had told me to wait three months.  When I looked at her like she was crazy, she said okay, a month.  We weren't trying but weren't NOT trying either.  I was terrified to go back not even 4 weeks later and tell them I was pregnant.  They also told me the same about fertility after a m/c.  A difference might have been that my numbers were much lower the whole time, so when I had my final bloodtest a week after, they were already below 5 signifying that I was no longer pregnant. Not encouraging you either direction, just my experience!  All the best!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My doctor never ran any tests and was ready to get everything over with so I could immediately try again. I wasn't ready though and waited 5 months. Do what feels right to you.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married my best friend 01/01/09

BFP#1 05/06/10. Jarebear born 12/29/10.

BFP#2 06/22/12 (DH's birthday). EDD 02/23/13. M/C and D&C 08/09/12

BFP#3 02/04/13. Alaina Beth born 10/09/13.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm definitely ready, but like lrn, I'm afraid to go back too early and say I'm pregnant! I guess I just want to make sure there are no major issues with not waiting (granted, I know there is no guarantee that there won't be issues). If I had just gone to the doctor and she said wait, then I would, but hearing the ultrasound tech say everything looked great, makes me feel like we should give it a try.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• lrn327lrn327 member
    I really thought I get a lecture but they didn't say a thing, not a single thing, other than yes, you are more fertile after an m/c. Some people need that time for the uterus to shrink I guess and others need the time for emotional reasons.  Mine was pretty early and emotionally I felt ready.

Again, just my experience so for lurky loos, follow your doctor's advice! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My doctor said to wait till after I got my period.  So 1 cycle.  That was November.  It took us 4 more months to get pregnant.  I don't know if it was because my body wasn't ready or what but my doctor only said to wait the 1 cycle.

Good luck!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited July 2013
    Initially, I was told to wait until I had a post mc period. After my hcg levels went down to zero though they said I could try right away. I really think it just depends on how your body deals with the mc and each individual dr.

I did read a couple different places though that you are actually more fertile in the 6 months directly after a mc, not just the cycle immediately after. Also, that your chance of another mc in that window drops slightly. I'm not sure how true that is but I did see it in more than one article.

We aren't trying straight away, waiting until sept/oct, but if we were I'd have felt fine trying right after.
    imageimage
  • We waited a while after both, but I would, in retrospect, have been ok with trying right away after the second. 
    MC1 was pretty wonky--fetus stopped growing by 1st ultrasound, but hormone levels were slow to come down, and my body didn't act on its own to rid the tissue after a month or more, so had a D&C. Since that was my first pregnancy, and not textbook mc, and we were surprised, we needed time to regroup.
    MC2 was much easier...we'd been successfully had a baby, already and the mc was more straightforward & natural. I wanted to celebrate my birthday that month with wine, so we waited, but I wouldn't hesitate to ttc in a similar situation.

• I had a mc before we got pregnant with J, doc tiold us to wait, but it never really came back for a few months :/
    <3 Cathrine 24 from Norway - Mommy and Married <3

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersDaisypath Graduation tickers
  • I'm so sorry for your loss.

I was told to wait 3 cycles after my mc. I mc in January at 11 weeks and started trying in March. We got pregnant with J the first time we tried.

I think they recommend 3 months for the emotional reasons as much as health reasons. I definitely was not ready to try right away, but everyone is different. If you are ready, then don't wait. Do what is nest for you.

• They told me to wait a cycle (or two?  Can't remember.) because they like to see a nice, thick lining again.  I also had a D&C, so I don't know if that is part of the reason -- because they are scraping the uterus.   While I read conflicting things about whether or not to wait, we decided to wait because if I had another m/c, I would have totally blamed myself for not waiting as the doctor suggested.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"