Toddlers: 24 Months+

Birthday parties close together?

We have 3 little ones...our 2 DD's both have a birthday in the same month.  One on the 5th and one on the 11th...Last year they each had their own separate birthday parties.  We've bounced around the idea of letting them share birthday parties, but on "big" birthdays have separate ones...but we are kinda coming back to the fact that it's still their special day, and is it fair to them to have to share their party?  Especially when just a few months before their birthday, they see that their big brother got a party all for himself?

Just curious on your opinions as moms...would you think it fair to YOU to be invited to 2 different parties basically back-to-back?

Re: Birthday parties close together?

• jllmb79jllmb79 member
    edited July 2013
    It might be hard to get friends and relatives to be able to attend two parties so close. Maybe one big party not on their actual bday and a cake and dinner on their individual bday to make them feel special?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited July 2013
    I definitely would not do it since you plan on always giving the older brother his own party.  It is a recipe for disaster in my opinion because one will always be having their own party while they have to share.   

My kids have birthdays a couple of days apart and within a few days of Christmas.  I plan on always having a small family party on their actual birthdays, but then having a combined friend party during the summer when they get a little older.  That way they always have their special day and they get a friend party.  My mother did this with my brother and I when we were younger and we loved it, but we didn't have an additional sibling who was always getting his/her own friend party.  I don't think it will go over well in your situation, unless you combine all three.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • All five of my kids have birthdays in the same month which at times is very fun but other times is incredibly stressful. My three oldest, (12, 10, and 8,) all just have separate birthday parties with their own friends. My two youngest (4 and 2) are born 5 days apart so we celebrate my son's birthday (October 10) on the first weekend of the month and my daughter's (October 15) on the last weekend. That way, the relatives aren't bombarded with toddler parties.
  • I was one of five kids - two had winter birthdays a month apart, 3 of us were late summer/early fall, all within a month. My mom just had two parties a year and it was never a big deal to us. We got our own friend party on milestone birthdays, but the rest of the time it was just joint parties with our families. I am not scarred for life, and now as a mother myself think she was one smart lady ;)

We did get our own special day on our actual birthday. That day we got to plan what was for dinner, pick out cake and ice cream and we opened presents from our parents. That day was all about us, so really, I don't think any of us cared we had to share our parties.

My third is due a few weeks after my oldest daughter's birthday. We haven't decided for sure what we'll do about parties, but it's very likely we'll combine them at least some years because our family all have to travel from out of state to celebrate with us, and I won't ask them to do that twice in just a few weeks. I'm not concerned about #1 and #3 getting upset because #2 will have her own party and they won't since we plan to give them their own special day on their actual birthday still.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • For me, it depends on their age. If they are, for example, 1 year apart,  yes I'd likely do ONE party. If they are like 4-5 years apart, and have their own friends (different people to invite), I'd do separate ones.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I am a firm believer that a birthday party is a special day for the child.  It only comes once a year.  It isn't fair to throw a separate party for the older child and a combined party for the 2 little ones.  I wouldn't treat the kids differently--they will notice.   My children's birthdays are three weeks apart.  They will always have separate parties. 

• XCrissCrossXXCrissCrossX member
    edited August 2013
    If you're talking a party with relatives, I think a joint party is fine. When they get older and want friends, it'll be awkward to have a joint party and they can have separate parties then.

ETA: Definitely still have a special dinner and cake on each's actual b-day
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• My 3 will likely have joint parties for a while, as the birthdays are 2 weeks apart and two are twins. our relatives all live a distance away, so one party it will be. everyone will also have their own day celebrated as well with just us.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"