July 2012 Moms
Options

Car Seat

Has anyone turned their LO to face forward in the car yet? The law in CA is one year and 20 pounds. DS is much heavier than 20 pounds, so we are clear on that front. But I know that it is safer to keep him facing the back as long as possible. Here is my issue - the car seat is MUCH more stable when it faces forward, because that position allows for a third anchor point. I feel like I am not sure which is the better situation...

Re: Car Seat

• Options
    zyaszyas member
    I was seriously thinking about turning it around cause our carseat is a PITA rear facing. However Ava isn't even 20 pounds yet and my H thinks we need to leave it rear facing as long as possible. So we probably won't move it until she's 2.
  • Options
    pinkangelmoonpinkangelmoon member
    edited July 2013
    Depending on the carseat you have you may be able to use a tether with a rear-facing seat.  Check out this link:

https://carseatblog.com/12749/how-to-use-a-rear-facing-tether/

ETA: always double check your manual for car seat specific instructions. There may be other suggestions on how to get a tighter fit, like an angle adjuster, pool noodle, or towel. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MissMusic said:

Hi.

No.  Its much safer to be RF and therefore I will keep her RF as long as possible as you said.  Have your seat inspected if you think its not stable.  The issue (I believe) is not as much seat stability as internal decapitation in the case of a serious accident.
    ETA: at our 1 yr appt, my pedi was firm about keeping the kid RF until age 2 regardless of the law.

This exactly. We'll be rear facing until 2.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always.
    As long as I'm living,
    my baby you'll be."
  • Options
    jnoone said:
    I'm in CA, too, but I have no plans to turn it around.  He never puts up a fight in his carseat, so unless it becomes a serious issue, it's not a consideration for me until at least 2.  LO's on the smaller end, so even at 2, we may have plenty more time to keep it RFing.

Definitely get your seat inspected if you feel it's unstable!
    This exactly!  We are keeping her in her baby seat as long as possible because it is so much more convenient too with the snap in on my stroller.
    Visit The Nest
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    You can tether it to your front seat rail slider thing. We plan on keeping Coop RF for as long as possible.
    "Parenting is a constant struggle between making your kid's live better and ruining your own." Willie Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty'
    Anniversary IMAG1763 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"