August 2013 Moms
Options

Migraine sufferers

I've been a migraine sufferer since my teens. Before pregnancy I was on Neurotin daily for prevention and took a strong neuroleptic when one struck. I stopped meds about 6 months before conception. The first trimester was tough with an increase in frequency but then they got better. However, I've had a ton of migraines just in the last two weeks. Must be surge of hormones. Any natural treatments that you have found to be effective? I look stuff up but not sure what really works and is worth the time (like acupuncture.).

Re: Migraine sufferers

• Options
    Chiropractor! I would say acupuncture would probably work too. However, I've got to the chiropractor and gotten a lot of relief. 

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options
    Nothing natural worked for me. My migraines are the cause of a muscle spasm in the neck which pinches major nerves so before we got prego my nuerolagist injected me with Botox and it was a savior!! Not allowed to do that while prego or breast feeding though :(
    Ice packs on my neck and forehead help with a Tylenol / Vicodin mix
    ~~~Our first little one is due on Aug. 20th 2013~~~
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good to know. I go already but never mentioned my headaches to him. So many other issues to focus on! Thanks! Do you go during a migraine or just for scheduled visits?
  • Options
    Nothing natural works for me either.
    imageimageimageimage

• Options
    I am also a frequent migraine suffer and the docs gave me a medicine safe to take during pregnancy. Its called butalb and is a mixture of stronger dose of tylenol and caffiene. It only works when I feel one coming on and some migraines it doesn't work at all. I know its not much but ask your doc and give it a try.
    image image image image
  • Options
    You've probably already tried this, but I need a hefty dose of caffeine, along with whatever pain reliever I can get my hands on (Tylenol for the last 9 months), and then laying down in a cool, breezy room with a cold, wet washcloth over my eyes until I can function again.  I also have to be sure to lie on whatever side the migraine is least intense.  The caffeine and painkillers are ineffective for me without the washcloth part.
  • Options
    For pp, too lazy to quote, I am on fioricet as well.
    imageimageimageimage

• Options
    You've probably already tried this, but I need a hefty dose of caffeine, along with whatever pain reliever I can get my hands on (Tylenol for the last 9 months), and then laying down in a cool, breezy room with a cold, wet washcloth over my eyes until I can function again.  I also have to be sure to lie on whatever side the migraine is least intense.  The caffeine and painkillers are ineffective for me without the washcloth part.
    I do all of this as well, but I actually use an ice pack on the affected side (mine are very localized). The ice pack really helps a lot. 

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options
    Once I am done with BFing, I'll be doing Botox again. It helped a BUNCH.
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• Options
    Accupuncture for me. Also, eating lots of green apples and staying uber hydrated helped. Do you have any food triggers? 

I found out I have celiac about 2 1/2 years ago. I never had stomach aches or common ailments from celiac. Since eating gluten free my thyroid is back to normal and I have not had 1 migraine. Just an idea to think about the food triggers that may be out there for you! Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    I had ONE migraine during pregnancy and it was so awful. I tried everything natural and tried waiting it out but 7 hours into it I finally took an Excedrin and fell asleep. So so awful. I'm sorry you have to deal with these.

• Options
    Calcium and dark works for me. Otherwise two tylenol and a can of coke is how i coped while pregnant. The closest i can get to excedrin right now is two tylenol two ibiprophen and a can of coke.

But try calcium and a nap in the dark first.
  • Options
    Accupuncture for me. Also, eating lots of green apples and staying uber hydrated helped. Do you have any food triggers? 

I found out I have celiac about 2 1/2 years ago. I never had stomach aches or common ailments from celiac. Since eating gluten free my thyroid is back to normal and I have not had 1 migraine. Just an idea to think about the food triggers that may be out there for you! Good luck!

No food triggers - other triggers that I have found over the years.     I wonder why green apples help? that is interesting.
  • Options

I'm on the Tylenol/caffeine prescription pill that many of you mentioned - but it sucks compared to Maxalt or Frova.  I have done the Botox as well (which hurts like a mother...)

I hate this and hope it isn't a one a day deal until she is born.   Especially still working - I have had to turn off lights in office and grab ice cubes from freezer.  I feel like people who don't get migraines don't understand either (at work) and it makes me feel like a weakling. 

Good luck to you all! I am off to try chiropractic care, acupuncture, and green apples! 

• Options
    lydsyjane said:
    I had ONE migraine during pregnancy and it was so awful. I tried everything natural and tried waiting it out but 7 hours into it I finally took an Excedrin and fell asleep. So so awful. I'm sorry you have to deal with these.
    Thanks! One migraine is one too many!
  • Options
    LHedden said:
    I am also a frequent migraine suffer and the docs gave me a medicine safe to take during pregnancy. Its called butalb and is a mixture of stronger dose of tylenol and caffiene. It only works when I feel one coming on and some migraines it doesn't work at all. I know its not much but ask your doc and give it a try.

Yea, I have that too.  I agree - sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't.  Maxalt was much more effective, but not safe in pregnancy.      the butalb makes my arms feel like jello though - but better than a full fledged mmigraine.

Good luck to you! 

• Options
    jbbolton said:

I'm on the Tylenol/caffeine prescription pill that many of you mentioned - but it sucks compared to Maxalt or Frova.  I have done the Botox as well (which hurts like a mother...)

I hate this and hope it isn't a one a day deal until she is born.   Especially still working - I have had to turn off lights in office and grab ice cubes from freezer.  I feel like people who don't get migraines don't understand either (at work) and it makes me feel like a weakling. 

Good luck to you all! I am off to try chiropractic care, acupuncture, and green apples! 

I tried Maxalt in combination with Cambia and it is non effective for me. I have also tried Imitrex and Zomig but the one constant that seems to work 90% of the time is the Fioricet. I was however on Topamax which worked well and kept me from getting them. It has not so pleasant side effects though and wasn't safe for pregnancy.
    imageimageimageimage

• Options
    jbbolton said:

I tried Maxalt in combination with Cambia and it is non effective for me. I have also tried Imitrex and Zomig but the one constant that seems to work 90% of the time is the Fioricet. I was however on Topamax which worked well and kept me from getting them. It has not so pleasant side effects though and wasn't safe for pregnancy.

to prevent them, I did Depakote first, and than the Neurotin because Depakote can cause serious side effects and problems in pregnancy. Neurotin was okay. I will look into Topamax.  A lot of the seizure meds are effective for prevention. 

• Options
    Kiss carbonated beverages goodbye if you try Topamax. It gives anything carbonated the worst flat digusting taste ever.
    imageimageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"