Looking for suggestions........7th IUI=BFN — The Bump
Trouble TTC

Looking for suggestions........7th IUI=BFN

You can see from my signature we completed 7 IUIs this year under 2 different protocols. All have been BFN. 
AF began today and am confused on what my next step should be. The RE wants me to move to injectables (1 dose on day 7) while staying on Femara. I am at a lost because I am tired of shelling out money and not receiving anything in return. If we do injectables, I am thinking of waiting until the first of the year when I go back on my husband's insurance.
I want to request additional testing before completing another cycle but I am not sure what to ask for. I had bloodwork done last summer which the RE looked at prior to treatment. I had a HSG which showed both tubes open. 
I am waiting to call the nurse until tomorrow. I would like suggestions on what questions I should ask on the phone and any requests I should make.
TIA

Re: Looking for suggestions........7th IUI=BFN

  • Sorry not sure what happened to my signature but here is my info: 
    Married since April 2010. TTC #1 since November 2010
    Me:25 Diagnosed with Hypothyroid and PCOS November 2011.
    DH:39. SA:Normal HSG:both tubes open
    Cycle #1-3: 50 mg. Clomid with TI through OB/GYN(Stupid, I know:()
    Took break for new job.
    January 2013
    Cycles #4-6(Jan-March 2013):Clomid+Metformin+Trigger+IUI=all BFNs
    Cycles #7-10(April-July 2013): Femara+Metformin-Ovidrel+IUI=all BFNs
  • I had any where from 1-3 mature follicles for the 4 cycles I was on Femara.
    One of the things I was going to ask was what injectable he was thinking so I could gauge the cost. I know for sure we are sitting out this cycle because we are on vacation next week and I don't want to worry about anything other than to enjoy our time away.
  • Loading the player...
  • rox825rox825
    2500 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Second Anniversary
    member
    Honestly, if I had done 7 IUIs, had ovulated and had a good sperm sample each time, and all were BFNs, I would move to IVF. There are diminishing returns once you get past 3 IUIs, so if you've never had a positive, unfortunately it seems like it might not the best treatment option for you. If IVF isn't an option then you could try an injects cycle, but if it were me, I'd move on from IUI. As far as questions and requests, I would ask what your chance of success is after 7 failed attempts, and you could request new CD3 bloodwork and US to see if anything has changed. You could also ask about a lap to check for endo. I hope that you find a treatment protocol that will work!!

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

    GermanGirl2007
  • rox825 said:

    Honestly, if I had done 7 IUIs, had ovulated and had a good sperm sample each time, and all were BFNs, I would move to IVF. There are diminishing returns once you get past 3 IUIs, so if you've never had a positive, unfortunately it seems like it might not the best treatment option for you. If IVF isn't an option then you could try an injects cycle, but if it were me, I'd move on from IUI. As far as questions and requests, I would ask what your chance of success is after 7 failed attempts, and you could request new CD3 bloodwork and US to see if anything has changed. You could also ask about a lap to check for endo. I hope that you find a treatment protocol that will work!!

    This. Good luck moving forward

    Me: 37, DH: 35 :: TCC since 2/11 SA: Perfect! CD3  HSG = Blocked Right Tube
    April- Femara 2.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN   May- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN
    June- Femara 7.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN  August- Lap & Hysteroscopy = Blocked & Partially Blocked Tubes
    September- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN  October- 100mg Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    IVF # 1: Stims 11/30 ER 12/12/12! (10R, 10M, 8F, 2T, 6 F) :: Beta #1- 176  c/p @ 4w4d
    FET #1 February 26th :: Lost 4 to Thaw, Transferred 2 = BFFN
    IVF # 2 Stims 5/10 ER 5/21 (15R, 13M, 13F, 2T, 7F- 6d3 & 1d5) :: Beta # 1- 15 c/p @ 4w
    FET #2 Cancelled, Right Tube Developed a Hydro  8/28 Hydro & Scar Tissue Removed  Cleared for FET
    FET #2.2 Scheduled for September 20th
    2 Thawed, 2 Transferred! Beta #1- 96, Beta #2 906! :: EDD June 10th
    2015- 2 failed FET. We are done
    SURPRISE! BFP 8/8/16   EDD 4/1/17

     
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Pregnancy Ticker
  • rox825 said:
    Honestly, if I had done 7 IUIs, had ovulated and had a good sperm sample each time, and all were BFNs, I would move to IVF. There are diminishing returns once you get past 3 IUIs, so if you've never had a positive, unfortunately it seems like it might not the best treatment option for you. If IVF isn't an option then you could try an injects cycle, but if it were me, I'd move on from IUI. As far as questions and requests, I would ask what your chance of success is after 7 failed attempts, and you could request new CD3 bloodwork and US to see if anything has changed. You could also ask about a lap to check for endo. I hope that you find a treatment protocol that will work!!
    This.  After our 4th IUI, my RE recommended thinking about either moving on to IVF or a lap to check for endo.  We opted to move on to IVF. 

    imageimageimageimageimage

     

    image

    TTC #1 since August 2011

    My Blog

    September 2012: Start IF testing

    DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

    October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

    November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

    January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

    April 2015: FET #2.1


    PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

  • vpinevpine
    1000 Comments 250 Love Its Fourth Anniversary Photogenic
    member
    edited July 2013
    I wouldn't have done so many on clomid in 1st place, I suggest trying 3 inject cycles and then moving to IVF.
    As for cost, I used Bravelle 75iu which was $49.99/each injection (I used 9 each cycle and 1 Ovidrel): http://freedomfertility.com/fertility-medications/medications-and-pricing.aspx
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

    14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
    [Deleted User]
  • I'm sorry you're having so much trouble and seem to be at a stand still
    :(
    I don't have any experience with IUI, so I don't have anything to compare it to.  But from some of the posts and other blogs that I've read, I'm surprised they haven't suggested IVF.  From what I've seen, it looks like most try IUI 3-4 times and then start thinking about a different approach.  Have you asked about IVF as a next option?  Good luck with whatever comes next for you!
    Me 31 ~ DH 30
    IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
    <3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
    DX - PCOS 2004
    FET #2 - scheduled for 11/24/15
  • What about getting a second opinion? 
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR




    GermanGirl2007
  • Honestly, if I had done 7 IUIs, had ovulated and had a good sperm sample each time, and all were BFNs, I would move to IVF. There are diminishing returns once you get past 3 IUIs, so if you've never had a positive, unfortunately it seems like it might not the best treatment option for you. If IVF isn't an option then you could try an injects cycle, but if it were me, I'd move on from IUI. As far as questions and requests, I would ask what your chance of success is after 7 failed attempts, and you could request new CD3 bloodwork and US to see if anything has changed. You could also ask about a lap to check for endo. I hope that you find a treatment protocol that will work!!
    This. Good luck moving forward
    I also agree with all of this. After 4 IUI's, we moved on to IVF. The success rates with IUI's are fairly low anyways, but lower significantly after 3 attempts. I wouldn't waste time or money on more of the same if it's an option for you to move on. I also agree on getting a second opinion. I am sorry that you are feeling so stuck. :(

    ** After  2 1/2 years of Unexplained IF, 2 failed medicated cycles, and 4 failed IUI's - our baby girl came to us through the miracle of Mini IVF! **

     image
    image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards