February 2013 Moms
Options

Formula Prep: How far in Advance?

Hi ladies,

For those of you who FF, how far in advance do you prepare each bottle? We've been mixing a day's worth (using powder) and keeping it ready to pour into bottles in the fridge, but we received a sample can of a different brand that says to serve it within one hour of mixing.  How do you do it?  DS has been FF from the start.

Re: Formula Prep: How far in Advance?

• Options
    Since DD is on a combo of pumped milk and formula, I don't mix formula until we need it.  But she usually gets 3 bottles of pumped milk/day and only 1 bottle of formula.  As I understand it, if you mix formula in advance (those formula pitchers look handy) it's good at room temp for one hour or in the fridge for 24 hours.  So if you mix it in the morning, it's fine all day as long as it's kept cold until LO is ready for a bottle.  What brand do you normally use and what brand is the sample?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks RJM! We have been using Similac Advance because that's what we got in the hospital when DS was born, but my family doctor gave us a bunch of cans of Good Start.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We make all of his bottles the night before and keep them in the fridge. As long as they're refrigerated and they should be good for 24 hours!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Options
    We use good start and I mix all in the morning for throughout the day and then mix two bottles before my lo goes to sleep for night time.
  • Options
    DS is sort of finicky, so we have to make ours on demand because he will only take it warm or room temp. Our bottle warmer, well, sucks, and it takes two attempts to get it to even room temp from our fridge, so it's just easier to make them as he needs them. If we are going out, I just fill the bottle with the desired amount of water or bring a bottle of water in the diaper bag and we have one of those travel containers for formula powder. I agree with PPs, though, I believe the 1 hour rule is only for leaving it out room temp. If it's in the fridge it's good for 24 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"