November 2012 Moms

WATER/AGUA/H2O

How much water does your LO drink in a day?

And for S&G, juice, if any?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WATER/AGUA/H2O

• SurpriseAt39SurpriseAt39 member
    edited July 2013
    I bought LO some straw cups. 
    I could only get them in 9oz size. I fill it to 8oz in the morning. 
    He is offered the cup at every meal. Sometimes it is empty (or almost) when he is done supper. Sometimes it's still got about 2oz left. 

He drinks more of it if the food is dry (like bread, crackers) or it is especially hot out. 

I decided if he empties it consistently that I would try breast milk in it because I would rather he get breast milk than water if he is drinking that much in a day. 
    He drinks the water at room temperature, but BM would be served cold. (I haven't tried him on cold BM yet)

**ETA - no juice yet, and probably not for several more months
  • No juice (don't see the point...it's just sugar water even if it's natural). O gets water if she's eating something that needs to be washed down with water (like pasta or something non-juicy). I don't have DC give her any because I think they'd give her too much and then she wouldn't want milk. I don't send any dry type foods that she'd need it with to DC.

Usually she wants some when she sees me drink it so I'll let her have a sip or two. She drinks out of a straw, no sippy cup. 

A co-worker said her DD went on a nursing strike and she thinks she was giving her too much water at meal time. She cut out the water and her DD started nursing better. So, yea, it makes me nervous to offer too much.

• Loading the player...
  • beane4018 said:
    No juice.. About every other evening I'll give him a sippy cup of water with dinner. I would guess he gets maybe an ounce.. still hasn't really figured out that he needs to tip the cup back.
    Samesies.  He mostly like to chuck it across the dining room, which is nice.

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• He would drink a lot if I let him. I give him his sippy cup at each solid meal and he sips as he likes. I'd say like a quarter cup Max...
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage
  • He doesn't get any consistent amount each day. He has actually become quite good at using his sippy cup. He gets that he needs to tip it up, but still manages to spill a fair amount on himself. He gets more on weekends when we are with him and have him out and about. I would say 2-4oz on the weekend days. Weekdays, sometimes an ounce or two, sometimes none. He hasn't had any juice yet.

• Thanks y'all! I was just curious. I can't really get Cu to drink much/any at meals.

I'm not too worried about it, but I know how much I like to drink something while eating... I just want him to get the best experience. :P

• Thanks y'all! I was just curious. I can't really get Cu to drink much/any at meals. I'm not too worried about it, but I know how much I like to drink something while eating... I just want him to get the best experience. :P
    I don't push him to drink it, but I make sure he has access to a drink because there is NO WAY I could eat a meal without a drink. 

• Nothing consistent but he does have his straw cup accessible most of the day. He loves drinking out of regular cups so he does get more when we do that. Juice, about 3 ounces a week to keep the constipation at bay.

• Doc just said put water in the sippy cup so he can practice using the sippy cup cause if it does spill there is nothing to worry about. I guess at 1 year, we are apparently pulling the plug on the bottle :) and since the formula is mostly water, he gets enough. 

I haven't found a juice he likes yet so no juices. He loves water though. I'll put about 4 ounces in it and he might drink 2 ounces by the end of the day when it's offered. Give him a real cup and a straw or let him drink out of the water bottle though and he'll drink that stuff down. He prefers it ice cold :). We are pretty inconsistent with it at this point. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • No juice. She plays with the sippy but I try to make sure to get a couple sips of water each day especially when it's hot out.
  • We try water with dinner and when it's hot. Sometimes he will drink an ounce or two, and sometimes just a couple sips. He has juice on occasion, but never drinks more than an ounce.

• zmosszmoss member
    LJ gets a sippy about 3x a day. Sometimes just water, sometimes water with a splash of juice. It is often 100+ degrees here in AZ so I feel more comfortable him having it than not. That being said he does drink and then spit most out on his shirt so IDK how much he actually drinks.
    imageimage"Image">image"Image">image
  • None unless it way hot or he's sipping ours

Yup, this,
  • I offer water at every meal except breakfast.  He rarely drinks any.  If he does, he looks at me funny and disgusted.  I make my own apple juice, so I usually give him a taste of that too.  I grew up drinking juice every morning with my breakfast and I still do.  So I have no problem giving him juice.
  • We do water or watered down juice (apple or pear). I give him about 2 oz when I notice his poop is getting hard or pebbly.

Nov 2012 BMB January Siggy Challenge
    Those Presedential Fitness Tests Were Torture

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"