March 2014 Moms

Not sure about my dr's office

I don't have insurance until October. At first I thought my dr's office was thinking of me when they didn't schedule me until 12 weeks. But now that I'm getting closer (9w3d) I have called them to see what to expect at my first visit and I'm not sure about their motives. I keep trying to get answers about how much everything will cost so I can plan accordingly, but they wont answer me directly. I don't want them to treat me any differently than any other pregnancy, I just need to know how to save to pay for it. They don't seem to understand this. Even at 12 weeks they aren't going to do an ultrasound. And they talked like they were going to skip or wait on certain tests due to the insurance thing.

How does this sound do you guys? Am I getting jipped?

Re: Not sure about my dr's office

• Most doctors will give you a reduced rate if you don't have insurance and need to pay out of pocket. What tests are they going to wait on? If you are planning on getting the NT scan, that is done between 11 and 13 weeks so you'd need to know. I would just be persistent with them and get someone understanding on the phone. Most first time appointments don't consist of much more than getting your blood pressure, weight, medical history and some info on what to eat and not eat. They also send you for blood tests. I didn't have a proper ultrasound with DD until the anatomy scan at 18-20 weeks so it's not medically necessary. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Our state gives insurance to you when you're pregnant - is that not everywhere?
    1st FET 2/14/2013 Happy Valentines Day! - BFN
    2nd FET 6/14/2013
    - BPF!!! -
    1st Beta:
    1046!!!!! - 2nd Beta: 2754!!!!!
    First u/s 7/11/2013 - TWINS!!! 120 and 124 heartbeats <3
    Second u/s
    7/29/2013 - wiggley babies! 178 and 184 heartbeats!
    Third u/s
    9/9/2013 - 157 and 161 heartbeats ... a BOY and a GIRL!!!! Cervix on the "shorter side" (3-3.3) - going to check again in 2 weeks.
    Fourth u/s 9/23/2013 - Baby A = 157 Baby B = 150 heartbeat. Cervix now 2.3-2.6 ... being referred to a MFM
    MFM Appointment 9/26/2013 = Both babies healthy, cervix now measuring at 4 - Playing tricks on me ... will follow up in 2 weeks.
    Cervical check 10/7 with regular OB - 2.1cm  --- going BACK to the MFM armed with ultrasound pictures from my OB of my cervix. *sigh*
    MFM Appointment 10/8 - confirmed my cervix at 2.1cm - putting me on Progesterone for a week.
    MFM Appointment 10/17 - Cervix unchanged! Keeping me on Progesterone - followup 10/29

photo e8294769.jpgphoto 3a44b450.jpg
    imageimageimageimage"">image

Everett Alan James (3lbs8oz) and Eliana Lee (3lbs7oz) born 12/28/13 at 30w6d!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd keep calling back and ask to talk to someone in billing.  At least at my docs, the people that answer the phones know so little about billing because they are focusing mainly on scheduling.  You may want to compare their services and prices to another provider in the area too.  Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Mcsweets said:
    Our state gives insurance to you when you're pregnant - is that not everywhere?
    Ha.  Definitely not Texas.  Where are you located?

BabyFetus Ticker

• Iowa ... they do everything covered and childcare for the child 2 years ... certain income restrictions I'm sure ...
    2nd FET 6/14/2013
    - BPF!!! -
    1st Beta:
    Second u/s
    Third u/s
    9/9/2013 - 157 and 161 heartbeats ... a BOY and a GIRL!!!! Cervix on the "shorter side" (3-3.3) - going to check again in 2 weeks.
    Fourth u/s 9/23/2013 - Baby A = 157 Baby B = 150 heartbeat. Cervix now 2.3-2.6 ... being referred to a MFM
    MFM Appointment 9/26/2013 = Both babies healthy, cervix now measuring at 4 - Playing tricks on me ... will follow up in 2 weeks.
    Cervical check 10/7 with regular OB - 2.1cm  --- going BACK to the MFM armed with ultrasound pictures from my OB of my cervix. *sigh*
    MFM Appointment 10/8 - confirmed my cervix at 2.1cm - putting me on Progesterone for a week.
    MFM Appointment 10/17 - Cervix unchanged! Keeping me on Progesterone - followup 10/29

• Mcsweets said:
    They do in Texas.  Medicaid.. if you qualify for it though.
    mama to: addison (6) emery (3) oliver (brand new!)
  • katykatykatykatykatykaty member
    edited July 2013
    stefaknee said:
    Mcsweets said:
    They do in Texas.  Medicaid.. if you qualify for it though.

Ahh.  Yeah, I wasn't thinking about Medicaid. 

ETA: I'm bitter because I have a pre-existing condition that made it impossible for me to get private individual insurance, so I've been paying over $500/month for COBRA for the last 13 months. 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Yikes!!! My mom has COBRA too ... not fun.
    2nd FET 6/14/2013
    - BPF!!! -
    1st Beta:
    Second u/s
    Third u/s

• They do offer Medicaid for pregnancy but even when I was working part time I was making "too much" to qualify. I just spoke with a friend who used the same office (and she had Medicaid during her pregnancy) and I guess she had a dating ultrasound about 7 weeks but didn't have another ultrasound til 15 weeks, so I guess that's just how this office does things. I guess I'll just have to talk to them about the tests and everything when I go in.
  • Do you have a pregnancy resource center or anything nearby? Those places will usually do a US and give you info as long as you act a bit ambiguous about whether you are ready to be a parent.  I worked at planned parenthood for a while, and we told low income women to use that resource for a free US a lot!
    Pregnancy Tickerimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"