July 2013 Moms

Struggling Appetite

I'm really struggling with getting the calories I need to keep up with breastfeeding and life in general it seems. I mean, nothing seems amiss, but I have almost no appetite and when I do start to get hungry, I only eat small amounts of things before I feel completely full and done with food. I really don't think I'm getting everything I need calorie wise. I try to make sure my meals are packed with complex carbs and proteins as well as fiber. I am just struggling. And of course, my energy levels aren't super awesome and I'm sure that this eating issue doesn't help.

Any suggestions for good ways to maybe get my appetite back up or to get the calories and nutrients I need but in smaller meals? I usually eat around 4-5 times a day. Any meal suggestions?
Married 12.20.2010
BFP#1: 11.22.2012 EDD: 7.22.2013 DS Born 7.24.2013
BFP#2: 11.26.2014 EDD: 7.25.2015 *chemical confirmed 12.08.14*
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Struggling Appetite

• Just try to make sure you're getting lots of fluids and protein at each meal.  I was told once that i should be eating a snack each time I nurse but that NEVER happens b/c I'm not usually hungry.  

Just try to make sure the meals you are eating are good choices
    imageimage

image image image 

My Beautiful Boys! 

imageimageimage

PgAL/PAL welcome, always!
  • Ok, thanks ladies :) Glad to know it isn't just me!
    Married 12.20.2010
    BFP#1: 11.22.2012 EDD: 7.22.2013 DS Born 7.24.2013
    BFP#2: 11.26.2014 EDD: 7.25.2015 *chemical confirmed 12.08.14*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm struggling too with this. Does anyone else feel like they're dropping the pregnancy weight quickly too?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• KMSonnKMSonn member

I'm struggling too with this. Does anyone else feel like they're dropping the pregnancy weight quickly too?

I do... I just have a hard time finding time to eat

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was the same... But my appetite is mostly back after almost three weeks, although in smaller proportions. I think it's fairly normal... Just eat when you think about it, and eat fatty foods like avocados and salmon to make sure your milk is staying fatty. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• I'm struggling too with this. Does anyone else feel like they're dropping the pregnancy weight quickly too?
    I was thinking the same thing, but had an OB appointment yesterday and she said I was doing fine. I really had no appetite until just the past day or two. I've started to feel a little more "snacky" and actually noticed my stomach growling for the first time. I lost 30 lbs. my first two weeks home which I was totally not expecting but now that my doctor said it is fine, I'm just happy it came off so easily!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

• I am the same way but only just now at 4w pp am starting to feel hunger grumbles in the afternoon.

I try and make what I eat high calorie since im not eating a lot of volume...aa pp have said, higher healthy fats like nuts etc. I an off dairy for LO's sake so my go to's like Greek yogurt or cottage cheese are no good but you can try that. The little individual cups are quick to grab.

I gained 47lbs and was healthy/fit pre pg, and after two weeks had lost 27lbs without trying, I'm now down about 35lbs and I think because I'm finally plateauing my appetite is coming back.

Good luck!
  • I have the same problem. I'm drinking a lot of whole milk, pretty much with each meal. I think I might start drinking a protein shake thing with my morning pumping session.

My husband is trying to get me to eat all of the time. Sometimes it is cute, like when he made a little buffet on the counter to tempt me, but it does get old.

Exact thing with the milk and the husband. I gained 36 lbs with DS and lost 18 the first week PP. I am 18 away from prepregnancy weight. I don't plan to go back to my prepregnancy weight because I was a little under weight.
    As for the nuts- I was advised to stay away from them while BFing.... Also, why are some moms going dairy free? I feel slightly dumb for asking..
  • Bkuhman said:

Exact ing with the milk and the husband. I gained 36 lbs with DS and lost 18 the first week PP. I am 18 away from prepregnancy weight. I don't plan to go back to my prepregnancy weight because I was a little under weight.
    As for the nuts- I was advised to stay away from them while BFing.... Also, why are some moms going dairy free? I feel slightly dumb for asking..

I have been advised (and also seen written in several articles too) that dairy in mom's diet can affect baby's tummy..
    If your baby suffers from reflux or is especially gassy one thing they suggest is to cut out certain foods, the primary one is dairy.

Our LO does have some reflux and was esp gassy first couple of weeks. Lots of grunts and effort trying to pass gas, he was quite uncomfortable. So I've cut some gassy veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, plus dairy and eggs. I'll slowly add them back in and see if I can tell a difference.
  • Bkuhman said:
    I have the same problem. I'm drinking a lot of whole milk, pretty much with each meal. I think I might start drinking a protein shake thing with my morning pumping session. My husband is trying to get me to eat all of the time. Sometimes it is cute, like when he made a little buffet on the counter to tempt me, but it does get old.
    Exact thing with the milk and the husband. I gained 36 lbs with DS and lost 18 the first week PP. I am 18 away from prepregnancy weight. I don't plan to go back to my prepregnancy weight because I was a little under weight. As for the nuts- I was advised to stay away from them while BFing.... Also, why are some moms going dairy free? I feel slightly dumb for asking..

Sometimes when mom has dairy, it makes baby painfully gassy. Same can happen with wheat and caffeine. You have to quit them and reintroduce really slowly. I ate peanut butter and tree nuts right from the get go with both kids and didn't have a problem... I think you only really have to worry about that if you have nut sensitivities in your family. Hopefully my line breaks show up here... Struggling with the new format. :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"