July 2013 Moms
Options

Too early to cluster feed?

My LO was born on the 27th and we got the hang of BFing as my milk came in and now he is a crazy eater! It will sometimes take us over an hour to get through a feed because he'll stop on his own, I'll burp him and then he'll be rooting around for more. I'll let him eat as much as he wants, but then he'll often spit up. After doing that he has room for more and I can't deny him when he's doing his hungry cues. I'm guessing he's too young to be cluster feeding, but am thinking he just doesn't know when to cut himself off? Should I be cutting him off at a certain point or just let him eat and puke? I'm seeing my MW tomorrow and will ask her, but just wanted to see if anyone had any advice.
Me: 35  H: 35
Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
that place where you can still remember dreaming?
That's where I will always love you.  
That's where I'll be waiting."
~Peter Pan 

*TW*
BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 

Re: Too early to cluster feed?

• Options
    Give your baby a pacifier. Sounds to me like he's eating too much and just wants to suck:)
  • Options
    My LO spits up a lot as well. I've cut it down a bit by bf in a more upright position and then keeping him in an upright position for a little while after he finishes. He still spits up, but it's not quite so much, although from what I've read it looks like more than it really is. I think he does sometimes just eat too much and has to spit it up, especially earlier in the day when I'm more engorged and he's slept longer. 

Jasper 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Definitely not to early to cluster feed.  My LO cluster fed like crazy the day before my milk came in to stimulate it.  My DS1 also cluster fed around 2 weeks as part of a growth spurt also.  

If your baby is spitting up after each feed it usually means he's getting to much.  Maybe try a pacifier?  I know they say to wait 4 weeks, but we've never had problems with a paci. I will often times go ahead and nurse again BUT its usually b/c LO wants to suckle to sleep and usually he's not getting much milk at all at that point.  

I agree with PP about making sure to keep LO in an upright position after nursing for a bit--I try to put LO on my chest to burp to keep him more upright and its really helped with his spitting.
    imageimage

image image image 

My Beautiful Boys! 

imageimageimage

PgAL/PAL welcome, always!
  • Options
    It can take up to a week for your milk to come in and your LO may still be hungry in the meantime. Frequent feeds early on stimulate your milk production and will ensure you make enough for your baby once your milk comes in. Spitting up can happen for many reasons and is not necessarily a sign that baby is over-eating. My advice is to steer clear of giving a pacifier for now and to continue to feed on demand. I know it's exhausting, but you will be thankful for the time you invested once your milk comes in.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Definitely not too early. If he's spitting up, I recommend nursing with his head in the crook of your elbow and his butt in your lap (sans nursing pillow). My daughter actually burps herself while on the breast, so it helps the gas come out without bringing the milk up with it. Let him nurse as long as possible; especially if you can still hear swallowing. If he's practically asleep on there, then totally break the latch and try a suckie... But let him stimulate supply as much as he needs. Also, my daughter did a growth spurt at 2 weeks, so like PP said, he could be growing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    My lo is 4 weeks today and she's heen doing this for 2 weeks. She pukes less but I just let her eat when she wants. However I did start a pacifier last week and sometimes try that first if she just ate.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"