St. Louis Babies
Options

Pumping

I am wanting to just pump and not breastfeed. What are some thoughts?

Re: Pumping

• Options
    just remember, you have to pump just as frequently as you were to feed in order to get and keep your milk supply going, even in the middle of the night. So it will be double the work when your the one having to feed the baby too. But many moms do it due to latching problems or just personal preference, so it's definitely do-able! Before you decide, you should read this book: "so that's what they're for". I picked it up at Barnes and Noble, and it's great! Very informative but not boring to read!
  • Options
    I will most likely be doing the same this time around simply because my daughter practically knawed (dunno if thats right) on me. OUCH!!! but definitely you will have to pump often and it will still hurt but there are lotions out there to help and of course, cold compress. well worth it in the end not only financially but also because you feel as if you have accomplished something all on your own.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I highly recommend talking to Sierra at Kangaroo Kids...and come out to one of the breastfeeding support groups- 1230 on Thurs or 10am on Sats
  • Options
    Do what you think is best for your situation. I started pumping exclusively when my LO turned 2 months and it is A LOT more work, but having done both, I can tell you.

Breastfeeding is great because - No bottles to clean, no nipples to clean, no random rings to clean, you don't have to buy any of these either, you don't have to heat up milk, you don't have to listen to your little one cry for 3 minutes while the milk heats up, you don't have to refrigerate anything if you're traveling, you will always make enough milk for LO, and you always get that special quiet bonding time.

But... you are the ONLY one who can feed baby, which means you are going to be up all sorts of crazy hours and dad might feel a bit left out. Also if you are going back to work, you are going to have to give them a bottle and pump at some point.

Pumping 
    You know exactly how much food baby is getting, you can sleep a bit more b/c others can share the feeding responsibility.  

But...it might take a few purchases to find a breast shield that fits correctly, you have to clean all of those aforementioned things  multiple times a day, your nipples will be very angry at first.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"