Breastfeeding

Beyond Stressed with Pumping

I'm only in my third week back to work and my pumping results are getting worse and worse. My 9 week old drinks 13-14.5 oz of bm at daycare and I am just barely squeezing by. Lately I can't even get that much with 4 pumping sessions a day. I'm currently eating oatmeal every morning, drinking tons of water, adding in electrolytes through gatorade and coconut water, and a day and a half ago I started More Milk Plus. I would love down tons of Fenugreek but it completely tears up my sons stomach. I'm beyond stressed at this point and at a complete loss on how to up my pumping results. I'm using an Ameda double electric pump and using compression at every session. Results are decreasing down to barely 3 oz a session. Help I don't want to have to supplement! Adding in another pump doesn't seem to work because then I don't have enough left to breastfeed him when we are home. I never imagined pumping would be like this. :( Any advice on what might help? I'm considering Reglan even at this point....

Re: Beyond Stressed with Pumping

• Are you keeping busy while you pump? I had a decrease when I went back but it was because I watched the pump and how little came out as I sat worried. Make sure you have your cell or magazines while you pump to help relax. Hang in there you are doing great!
  • I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Calcium/magnesium/zinc pills seemed to really help me out taken 3 times a day. Mother's Milk tea also helped. Good luck. Hang in there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imagethe-dude-with-a-white-russian
  • Loading the player...
  • Domperidone is the only thing that helps me pump enough for LO. I order from inhousepharmacy.biz. HTH!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • How long are you pumping?  Do you get multiple let downs?  I found that I needed to pump for 30 minutes instead of the recommended 20 because my second letdown happens around 20 minutes.

Have you tried lactation cookies?  I found that the brewer's yeast helped me get an extra ounce or so over the course of the day.  I like the "Major Milk Making Cookies" recipe here:  https://www.drmomma.org/2010/08/lactation-cookies-recipe-increasing.html  I eventually just moved to putting a tablespoon of brewer's yeast in my OJ or yogurt each morning, but some people really don't like the flavor of brewer's yeast, so the cookies are a good option
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you for the support and advice ladies! I'm picking up the ingredients for the cookies today as I have not tried those yet. If all else fails I would rather try the domperidone than the reglan.
  • Ditto letting it go longer. I usually work while I'm pumping and I'll get caught up with work and end up letting it go for 1/2 an hour or more at times. When that happens, I get quite a bit out.

I'd never be able to make it if I didn't pump after DD eats in the morning. She drains one side and I pump the other - getting anywhere from 5-7oz daily. I'll pump 3 times during the day and get probably another 12-15 depending on my schedule. Right now she's eating 15/day so that gives me more than enough.

I also eat oatmeal and drink the mother's milk tea (so far, only 1/day). The tea helped quite a bit with DS.
  • have you tried powerpumping? i found that this helped my supply, but I'm an EPer so I dont know if that makes a difference.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DottyBlue said:
    How long are you pumping?  Do you get multiple let downs?  I found that I needed to pump for 30 minutes instead of the recommended 20 because my second letdown happens around 20 minutes.

Have you tried lactation cookies?  I found that the brewer's yeast helped me get an extra ounce or so over the course of the day.  I like the "Major Milk Making Cookies" recipe here:  https://www.drmomma.org/2010/08/lactation-cookies-recipe-increasing.html  I eventually just moved to putting a tablespoon of brewer's yeast in my OJ or yogurt each morning, but some people really don't like the flavor of brewer's yeast, so the cookies are a good option
    This. I was only pumping for 15 minutes and found that I needed to pump for AT LEAST 20 minutes. Also, it took my supply about a month or more to get back to normal. It's stress. Seriously, you're worried about it and I'm sure being back to work is stressful too. Try to relax and look at pictures and watch videos of your LO. Also, lose track of time. After I look a pictures/watch videos I play games or Bump to pass time. 

Also, add almonds to your diet.

Are you sleeping okay? I notice a direct link to sleep and supply. It's hard to get rest with a new baby but if possible, try to get a little extra sleep. Just keep at it and it will get better. 

Lastly, seems like your LO is taking a lot of milk. How many hours are you gone? Typically they only need about 1-1.5 ounces per hour you are away. Lots of times DC workers are used to formula fed babies and don't know how to properly feed a BF baby. Check out Kellymom.com for tips on how to bottle feed a BF baby and how much they should be taking (an average of course as every baby is different). Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"