December 2013 Moms

braxton hicks

ok so this is my third pregnancy and i should probably know about this but please humor me if anyone is experiencing this as well. i have been feeking bhc sibce about 16 weeks, lately though theyre much more frequent and im curious as to how many are too many in an hour and also if there is any way to lessen them? i have called my drs but if anyone else is seen at a military facility they will understand theyre nit usually helpful. they tell me to go to the er if i think something is wrong. i dont have any bleeding or pain so i dont want to waste my time or a dr at the ers time for nothing. thanks

Re: braxton hicks

• When's your next appt?  With a third pregnancy, I wouldn't go in unless the contractions are: timeable, don't stop if you change position or you have any pain with them.  If they're truly BH, it's common/normal to get them and there's not much you can do to stop them other than change your position.  Make sure you're drinking lots of water, too!
    About to be outnumbered... baby #3 is on the way!
  • I was told to take a warm bath or shower and drink lots of water. The water really helps, I don't know about the water since I am always at work when I get them.
    image  image

Lilypie - (Xzno)
    Lilypie - (WIG0)
  • Loading the player...
  • I was wondering about BH last night. How can you tell when it's BH and when to go to the ER? I'm sure if I experience them, I'll call my doctor, but are there any specific signs that tell you that they're BH instead of something more serious?

• WIgirl32WIgirl32 member
    edited July 2013
    I was wondering about BH last night. How can you tell when it's BH and when to go to the ER? I'm sure if I experience them, I'll call my doctor, but are there any specific signs that tell you that they're BH instead of something more serious?
    They're BH if they don't lead to "real labor".  It's tough to tell sometimes.  The key thing with BH is that they tend to go away if you change position.  Sitting down and feeling them?  Get up and walk around.  If they go away, it's BH.  If not... and they become timeable and more intense, you're looking at "real" labor.
  • WIgirl32 said:

I was wondering about BH last night. How can you tell when it's BH and when to go to the ER? I'm sure if I experience them, I'll call my doctor, but are there any specific signs that tell you that they're BH instead of something more serious?

They're BH if they don't lead to "real labor".  It's tough to tell sometimes.  The key thing with BH is that they tend to go away if you change position.  Sitting down and feeling them?  Get up and walk around.  If they go away, it's BH.  If not... and they become timeable and more intense, you're looking at "real" labor.

Alright I'll keep that in mind! Thanks!

• I was wondering about BH last night. How can you tell when it's BH and when to go to the ER? I'm sure if I experience them, I'll call my doctor, but are there any specific signs that tell you that they're BH instead of something more serious?

IME Braxton hicks are not painful. Sounds weird but they feel like the baby is rolling up in a tight ball...and your belly will feel hard to the touch. Generally BH are not timable either. They're pretty random. But always call your doctor if you're having lots of contractions and are concerned.
  • I don't know anything about BHC but isn't it too early for them?!Sorry for not knowing!
    Depends.  With a first pregnancy, they don't tend to start until later in the pregnancy. But if it's a mom who is a "repeat offender", they usually start earlier with each pregnancy.
  • mine are bh im sure of that. they dont hurt at all just a tightening of my entire stomach. my first pregnancy i didnt feel them at all with my twins i had them a lot but it was closer to 28-29 weeks. and i started dialating early with them probably around 32 weeks. which is why im concerned now. my next appt isnt until aug 15. at my last appt i brought it up and she said drink more water (i swear thats the military's answer for everything) so i will bring it up again and maybe ask her to check down there and make sure my cervix is still completely closed i guess
  • sorry for the poor grammar my tablet doesnt edit for me and im too lazy  lol
  • watercolor5watercolor5 member
    edited July 2013
    I have BH pretty early on in my pregnancies too... I think my ute is just irritable or something.  I would probably ask my doc to make me an appointment if I was getting them in a timeable pattern, like every 8 min, or if I was getting more than 8 in an hour, or if I was getting them intermittently, but for a few hours or more.

I also am seen on a military base, so I understand that you have to tell them what you need when you don't always know what that is.  I'd try to get an appt with my provider before going to the ER, unless they were timeable and getting closer together, but I try to avoid ER trips at all costs...

Is there anything that esp tends to cause them?  I always get them if I exercise too vigorously or when I have sex.  I'd make sure you're drinking water and taking it easy as much as you can too.
  • I kind of have a different question but don't want to start another thread about Braxton hicks. For those of you that have had them in previous pregnancies, does your entire uterus get hard or just a part or can it be different for everyone? I'm only 22 weeks with my first and there are times when I feel a portion of my stomach tighten or get hard but not the whole thing. I tried to explain this to my dr and she said it could be Braxton hicks or it could be baby balling herself up in a certain position. She said if I feel it more than 4 times and hour to call but otherwise not to worry. It's just so hard to know what I'm feeling (gas, baby, bh contraction!!)
  • I've been getting for a few weeks too. At first I thought it was movement, but now that I feel ACTUAL movement I realized what it was. It feels like a roll and then my whole abdomen tighens. I asked by doctor about it at my appt. yesterday, and he did say that it was early for them. He told me to drink lots of water and if they hurt AT ALL or I am getting more than 6 an hour to call. HTH! 
                                                                Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

Met 9/2001
    Engaged 3/15/2006
    Married 5/19/2007
    DD 12/12/13
    DS 6/6/2016

M/C 9/29/18 @ 6w
     BabyFruit Ticker
    Our little tie breaker due 8/1/19!  <3

• thank you... thats what i was looking for how many in an hour is too many. the more active i am the more frequent i get them. im trying my best to take it easy but twin 3yo make it tough for me :) thanks for all the responses
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"