December 2013 Moms
Options

snowsuits.

Zulily has snowsuits on their site today and I am contemplating ordering one. What do you ladies think? Do we need snowsuits for our December babies? I have a carseat cover on my registry so far, but that's it.

Re: snowsuits.

• Options
    You can't use a snowsuit in a carseat, so I'd say no.
  • Options
    You're not supposed to put babies/kids in the their car seats with bulking clothing such as snow suits or winter coats.  In the even of an accident they can compress and cause the child to come out of the seat.  I will pass on the winter coat and snow suit until they are able to walk and play outside.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it depends - do you have other kids who will be playing outside when this one is little?  Or do you plan on walking around your neighborhood with the little one in it's stroller?  Basically, if the baby is going to be outside a lot, then it might be a good idea to get one.  If, on the other hand, you plan on basically having the baby outside only as long as it takes to get from front door to car, then no, you should probably skip it. 
    http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_bird2&T=t_b11&D=20131129&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Teddy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green
  • Options
    I bought one at a garage sale for 3$. We will use it if we feel the need to. I wouldn't say it's really a snow suit though. It's a fleece sack with a hood.
    Pregnancy Ticker image image
  • Options
    KateVAKateVA member
    I think so - not for the car but for stroller walks and playing outside. All depends on where you live and your lifestyle
  • Options
    swirl25swirl25 member
    edited July 2013
    My mother insisted on buying me a really nice North Face ss for DD -- she can't get it through her head that it is not safe to wear it in the carseat and thinks I try to freeze my kids. Whatever...I used it a few times when the worst of winter passed and we went for walks with the stroller, but it was still pretty chilly out. I will use it again the same way this time.

So, with that said, it is not worth the $ to buy an expensive snowsuit since you likely won't use it all that much. Getting one cheap on Zulily or similar is the way to go if you really feel you need one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We never used one for DS & he was born Dec 2011. We just used blankets & a cover & an additional blanket on top of the carrier.  Some people like to get those Columbia Fleece suits, but we never did & all was well with out it.

My 2 December boys

• Options
    Ya I'm not getting one either. Just bundling them up in the carseat to go outside and a blanket on top of it.

My sweet girl Lilijana Jane 12/16/13
    View Full Size Image 
  • Options
    I live in a city where I walk everywhere so I'll be getting either a snowsuit or a footmuff that is sold as an accessory to strollers (know Bugaboo and Uppababy have them).  I've heard the footmuffs are amazing.  I think if you plan on walking outside a lot, then get something to keep LO warm, just remember to take it off when it's time to load them into the car.

• Options
    I purchased a bundle me for my son carseat and a thick Ralph Lauren sweater..I plan to do the same for this baby.....buying a snowsuit was not safe and a waste of money especially since the he was going straight to the car.....
  • Options
    We used a Columbia Fleece suit for my daughter. It was perfect because it was thin enough to be worn in a car seat. She wore it allllllll the time. She was 9 months when we got it, so she wasn't growing so fast. She ended up wearing it until she was 13 months and luckily was just about to grow out of it. Since this LO will be born in the beginning of Winter, it's likely that she'll need one until she is 5 months. I will buy a few sizes. It's worth it IMO. If you're going to get a suit, I would definitely buy a Columbia fleece suit, they're thin enough for the car seat, but nice and warm. It also covers all the paws(hands and feet).

imageimage

BFP #1 July 4, 2011 Baby girl born Feb 22, 2012!!
    BFP #2 December 17, 2012 MMC January 24, 2013
    BFP #3 April 7, 2013 Baby girl born December 11, 2013!!
    Amelia has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She has had 3 open heart surgeries, 1 g-tube surgery, and one tracheostomy. She is the strongest, most precious little fighter. 
    You can follow her at. Www.ameliafaithsheart.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I live in AK and it gets very cold here. I will most likely buy a snowsuit for in cases such as an accident where we have to get out of the car in the cold or going outside to play a bit. I don't want to lock my DD in all winter.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I live in Wisconsin and have two other winter babies (January).  Neither had a snowsuit.  If we were outside, they were bundled up and carried in a Moby or other carrier.  If they were in the stroller, I just threw blankets over them and then use a cover over the top of the carseat.  If you're frugal, you can totally skip the snowsuit.
    About to be outnumbered... baby #3 is on the way!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"