Working Moms
Options

perspective on this "I have a DH problem"?

My relationship between DH’s best friend and friend’s wife is extremely strained. There is a long history here dating back about 5 years.  Things became irreconcilable when DH and I purchased our current home 1.5 years ago and didn’t use the wife as our relator.  DH’s friend gave him a tremendous guilt trip and the wife completely stopped speaking to me, walking past me as if I were a ghost.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

This past weekend we had a small party and DH’s friend showed up to our door, I opened the door and he breezed past me, barely acknowledging my presence.  This was in MY home!

I have had many discussions with DH about how he tolerates their treatment of me and how were the tables turned I would NEVER permit my friends to treat him poorly.  I have laid out to DH how inappropriate it is of them to think they get to control our decisions, and then when things don’t go their way the husband guilts DH as if he has done anything wrong.  DH didn’t disagree with me. Where is the “friendship” that comes is the shape of being happy for someone even though you don’t personally gain anything from it? 

DH has been friends with them for 15+ years.  He has always overlooked their shortcomings; fair enough, no one is perfect.  But they are miserable people who take satisfaction in putting others down. 

Ultimately I told DH that I just disappointed that I am married to someone who doesn’t have my back.  Harsh?  Yes.  But I had no choice but to accept that DH will continue to be friends with this guy.  I really thought I could just go on accepting that DH won’t stand up for me, or himself for that matter!  But, as it turns out, I don’t think I can.  I no longer want him or the wife in my home.  WHY should I welcome someone in to my home who treats me like crap? Unfortunately we have a circle of mutual friends. SO that does mean it’ll be impossible for me to never see them anyway.

I have no idea where to go from here.  Counseling is an option, yes, but I’m not sure what the objective would even be?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: perspective on this &quot;I have a DH problem&quot;?

• Options

I would say people that come into your home and disrespect you there should not be surprised they're taken off the guest list int he future.  Tell DH he can hang out with them individually, but that you should not have to be treated that way in your safe haven, and that in the future in mixed company you hope he would have your back.

DH has a friend that is a jerk, and I am happy to say she was and will never be invited to anything because DH sees her toxicity for what it is. I am fine with them talking, although because of how she's been to me in the past, he's not interested in staying in close contact with her. Furthermore, I think he takes pride in being the "man" in the relationship and would not allow anyone to ever treat me badly in his presence.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    AZ123AZ123 member

I don't know if there's much that you can do since your DH is fine with the way the situation is. It is your DH's home too so for you to not want them in your home and your DH does...well....  The big question is this the hill you want to die on with your husband? How often do you see this friend? If it is here and there, I'd let it go and focus your energy on the friends who are amazing and ignore this couple.

Dumb realtors. I have heard of this happening to way too many friends. There seems to be an expectation amongst majority realtors that if you're friends that you should use them. However, I've learned that a lot of people don't like to use friends for business transactions. Goes both ways, I guess, but the wife realtor shouldn't have been offended. However, your DH or you should have told her in advance that you were buying and weren't going to use her.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I sympathize a lot, but I think speaking directly with your DH about how his reaction makes you feel would be the first step. Saying that you're disappointed to be married to some one like this or saying you don't ever want them in your home again doesn't really give your DH a chance to catch up with where you are. He may honestly have not noticed how serious the situation was or how it was affecting you, so if you have to give him a chance to (1) recognize it and (2) decide what he's going to do with that information. If you demand he react in a certain way, it will probably make him feel really defensive. 

We also had a mutual friend who suddenly decided to write me off. While it's fine and normal for married people to have their own set of friends, I don't think it's practical for one to keep friends who actively dislike or refuse to acknowledge your spouse. My friends don't have to love hanging out with my hubs, but if they can't support my marriage, then they're not really my friend. I think it takes time for people to mature into understanding what it really means to prioritize your marriage.

Edit: I think it's fair for you to say you're not going to host them in your home until they're able to be respectful towards you & the whole fam. If DH is invited somewhere by these people, I hope he would reply with "I'm happy to attend with my wife."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Why did they show up for the party? Did your DH invite them?

If you have to be in mixed company with them, I would simply ignore them. But if they show up unannounced to your house,  and they won't speak to you...honestly I think I would walk up to them and tell them hello and if they refused to answer you then I would tell them to leave to their face, and your DH should back you up. This may be dramatic but who acts like that?

This is a huge DH problem. It doesn't sound like he disagrees with you, it just sounds like he's too scared of making a scene to do anything about it.

\image  image

• Options

I would be FURIOUS.  FURIOUS.  Um - you AND DH bought a house, correct?  You AND DH used another realtor, correct? 

So why on earth are you, ALONE, taking their $hit?  Why did your DH get a "get out of jail" free card on this? 

Seriously.  I would be furious.  I don't know what you can "do" to get through your DHs thick head, but I'd have read him the riot act the first time this $hit happened. 

And no- they would not be welcome in my home while they treat me like crap and my DH gets away unscathed.  He's REALLY picking "Friends" like this over you?  Say a LOT about his character.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Have you tried going around DH being responsible for resolving this?  I get that they are "his friends" but this is affecting YOUR life.  I would organize an evening in my home and have a sit down with them.  Invite them for a bottle of wine or coffee, not dinner.  Let them know that you sense the tension, and that as adults, it's time to either move forward or part ways.  Usual platitudes - you value their friendship and history, etc. but that this is a source of stress for you and DH and it either gets resolved or ends.  Lots of fluff - don't be that harsh.  Channel that woman in Fried Green Tomatoes.  You get the idea.  But don't leave this on DH's shoulders - you have tried that for 18 months and nothing has changed, so try something different.
  • Options
    I know this says a lot about DH's character. He lets everything roll off his back and doesn't confront anybody for anything, ever. I on the other hand can be combative when I need to be. But as a mature adult I don't go around fighting, but I don't let people treat me like crap either.

I can't change DH. And I'm not going to leave him over this. He is a great husband in all other ways. We have had numerous conversations over the years which is why I finally resolved myself to the fact that he will never stand up to them onto behalf. It makes me sad and I'm disappointed and i don't respect him for it. I clearly explained all this to him. He wasn't happy to hear it. But I'm not going to suffer silently.

Maybe there is no resolution.

But I suppose I can and should refuse to have them in our home and... Tell DH that if he goes to a group function of theirs to which I wasn't invited that he can sleep elsewhere?

I really believe that my husband is making our lives harder than it needs to be by staying friends with these jerks. Yeah, I'm not happy with this part of his character.
  • Options
    :/ I don't think I could respect my DH if he didn't have my back. I am sorry you're going through this. I hope that even if he chooses to remain friends with these people, that at the very least he will let them know, anywhere you're not invited isn't somewhere he would feel comfortable. (within reason...like go to the bar for happy hour, or to a game or whatever...but anything more than that would not be cool.) That's my opinion anyhow.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    Tell DH that if he goes to a group function of theirs to which I wasn't invited that he can sleep elsewhere?

So, wait.  You don't get invited to stuff they throw and your DH doesn't seem to 'get it' why you dont' want them in your house? 

Oy.  No, this isn't something I could see leaving my DH over either.  BUT - he'd be dealing w/ a b1tch of a wife anytime this issues came up. 

~Benjamin Franklin

• Options
     He lets everything roll off his back and doesn't confront anybody for anything, ever. I on the other hand can be combative when I need to be. 

THis is the other thing too- this isn't an "either/or" issue.  He doesn't need to "confront" them, no one needs to be combative.

This needs to be your DH saying to them "Look- she's my wife.  She AND I chose another realtor.  If you're going to hate her, you have to hate me too.  We're a team. " and when it comes to events in your home and if they "call him out" on not being invited, all it needs to be is a simple statement of "people who don't treat either myself or my wife w/ respect aren't invited to our home".

It's not confrontation.  It's about showing them you're a team and it's about simply stating the truth.

~Benjamin Franklin

• Options

Tell DH that if he goes to a group function of theirs to which I wasn't invited that he can sleep elsewhere?

So, wait.  You don't get invited to stuff they throw and your DH doesn't seem to 'get it' why you dont' want them in your house? 

Oy.  No, this isn't something I could see leaving my DH over either.  BUT - he'd be dealing w/ a b1tch of a wife anytime this issues came up. 

If couples are there, it's really weird that he goes alone. Really weird. I would actually not allow that. What are they doing at those events? Introducing him to her single friends?

Next time that happens, he (or you if you're going to let him off the hook) should call them up and ask if this is a guys thing (where the friend's wife and other wives isn't involved) or if it's a wives and girlfriends thing.  

If they say you aren't invited, then that is the perfect opportunity to talk to them heart to heart and try to clear the air, despite the fact that they don't deserve the consideration.

\image  image

• Options
    My husband's brother used to treat me this way. After both trying to ignore it for a bit, I said I was fed up and enough was enough. DH met with his brother and said if he continued to treat me poorly they would no longer have a relationship. We both still dislike each other (at least I dislike him still) but there is no more treating me like garbage. You said your husband is kind of non-confrontational but it sounds like your husband has very little respect for you. I know that seems harsh but he needs to stand up for you and dump the friend. My husband was willing to cut off his brother because of his wife. This guy is just a friend, not even family.

• Options
    AZ123AZ123 member
    One other thing I wanted to add... I know your husband has been friends with them for a long time but generally speaking it is only a matter of time before they do something rotten and turn on your DH.  I have waited these things out with my DH's friends that I don't like and they'll ultimately do something dumb to DH or where he draws the line and that's the end of that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am in agreement with the others who questioned why the couple cut you off but your DH is in the clear.  Unless they somehow have the impression that you did not want to use the wife's realtor services even though your DH did.  In which case I would be really upset with your DH if I were in your shoes.  If your DH insists on continuing to be friends with these people, then there would be conditions attached - they are no longer welcome in your home and he goes out with them on his own.  I would not under any circumstances subject myself to that sort of behavior.  It would bother me that I would feel like DH did not have my back in this situation and that he would rather have you upset than upset them.  But if you are willing to live w/that then you need to at least set some boundaries.

• Options
    There is a long history dating before the home purchase incident. The wife and I were close friends but she started treating me like her subordinate and puppet. She and I did have it out and I was very clear with her about my feelings. She simply won't accept that she cannot run my life. Her expectations are unreasonable and I refuse to comply. She was upset with me because i didnt boast about her DH to her friend regarding his managing our rental property. I actually answered her friends question directly and property management never came up! it was a short conversation. We also paid her DH very fairly; market rate. Bought them a $200+ thank you gift. thanked him repeadedly and profusely. But nothing is enough for her.

We did try to reconcile but our relationship was always strained after that. As I said, it became irreconcilable after we didn't use her services.

Maybe she is mad that I didn't talk to her directly. Maybe I should have to keep the peace. Realistically she would have found another reason to be mad at me so I felt it wasn't worth my time. And when DH spoke to his friend he gave him all sorts of crap. He even went as far to tell DH that it isn't about the money, it is that he didn't talk to him about it. My point exactly: it is none of his business!!

No, they are not my problem. DH is.
  • Options
    That makes more sense that it is a little more complicated than just not using her as realtor.  But still she sounds like a royal PITA and I would have reacted the same way you did.  I hope that you can work this out with your DH and/or you don't have to deal with this very often.  If he were only getting together with them every once in a while it would be more tolerable than if it is a regular thing.

• Options

I would be FURIOUS.  FURIOUS.  Um - you AND DH bought a house, correct?  You AND DH used another realtor, correct? 

So why on earth are you, ALONE, taking their $hit?  Why did your DH get a "get out of jail" free card on this? 

Seriously.  I would be furious.  I don't know what you can "do" to get through your DHs thick head, but I'd have read him the riot act the first time this $hit happened. 

And no- they would not be welcome in my home while they treat me like crap and my DH gets away unscathed.  He's REALLY picking "Friends" like this over you?  Say a LOT about his character.

All of this.  This would NOT fly with me. 
  • Options
    I have to admit - I skimmed the details here re: why your relationship with everyone is sh!tstorms - but I'm all over the issue with DH not sticking up for you (and actually seeming to have thrown you under the bus, since the friends only hate you). 

Of course you don't want to divorce him over this, so I say: next time you have a party, you and DH discuss who will be invited. The aholes don't have to be invited to every party and reasonable adults should be able to compromise on this. When your DH wants the aholes in attendance, then you make other plans. It's DH's party, so he cooks, he cleans, he shops, he hosts.

If your DH isn't reasonable about occasionally leaving them off the guest list, take any friends you have off the guestlist who are not mutual friends of both your and DH. Then make separate plans with them. If you don't have any of your own friends - find some. You need them in order to stand up for yourself. 

Having a social circle that's too enmeshed seems like a big part of your problem here and in fact, may very well be part of the problem for your DH's inability/unwillingness to stand up to his friends. Depending on how DH reacts to your newfound independence from your group of friends, you both may end up finding some friends, hobbies, activities beyond your current circle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"