Baby Names
Options

Need advice

We are expecting our third in a couple of weeks and are team green this time around. We had agreed on a girl name of Ava Lea. Lea is after DH's mom who passed away last year.  My mom has been fighting cancer for the past 18 months and we just found out a couple of weeks ago that it has returned. She is starting on chemo and radiation but the doctors aren't very confident the treatment will work. I am really close with my mom and I know it would mean the world to her if we used her name as the middle name. I haven't said anything to DH about wanting to change the name.Do you think that would be awful of me to ask if we could change it to Ava Elizabeth. I just know how much it would mean to my mom as she is going through this awful process.

Re: Need advice

• Options
    I am not usually a fan of two mns, but I would use both, or change the first name before taking his mother's name out of the equation.

Lea Elizabeth
    Ava Elizabeth Lea or Ava Lea Elizabeth

or you could do Avonlea Elizabeth, and nn her Ava. Plus it has a literary connection.
    Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Options
    First and foremost, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this and I'll keep your mom in my thoughts.  I'm not trying to be indecisive, but would you ever use 2 middle names?  Ava Lea Elizabeth?  It's a mouthful, but maybe an option.  If not, I would at least ask your husband how he feels about it.  I can't imagine he wouldn't understand where you're coming from and why you'd ask.  Not to be cold, but your mom is here and will know the baby was named for her, whereas his mom has already passed.  FWIW, I like Ava Elizabeth better anyway 

Good luck!!!  
    :D
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I kind of like a double FN, Ava Lea, and Elizabeth as a MN? I think it is very sweet to want to use both mothers' names. If you are set against using both names, maybe wait on Lea and save it for another possible daughter? I am so sorry you are going though this.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am so sorry your mom and your family is going through this!  What about using Elizabeth Lea?  Elizabeth is a beautiful name with a ton of nicknames so you could call her by something else on a daily basis if you wanted to, and you would still be able to honor both of your moms.
  • Options
    Very sorry about everything going on with your mom, and I understand why you would want to honor her by naming your daughter after her. My DH's mom passed away too, and we are planning on giving a potential daughter his mom's FN as her MN as well. I know it would absolutely crush him if I wanted to do otherwise.

That said, how attached are you to Ava? Ella has a similar sound and is a less literal way of naming your daughter after mom...how about Ella Lea?

TTC 17 months, Dx: MFI (morph = 1,) Endo. Surprise BFP after HSG!
  • Options

I'm so sorry for what your mom and your family are going through.

I really like using a double mn, Ava Lea Elizabeth.

• Options
    I am sorry you are going through this, I hope that your mother recovers and is around to enjoy this little one.

I like the Idea of Ava Elizabeth Lea
  • Options
    I am sorry to read of what your family is going through.

I think it would be hard to "take away" his recently deceased mom's name you agreed to, although I fully understand your motives.

I dislike double middle names, but if there was a time it was appropriate, this would be it. Or you could drop the Ava. In other words, I suggest Ava Lea Elizabeth or Elizabeth Lea as PPs suggested.
  • Options

I know a little girl DD's age that is Ava Lee (double first name) and I think it's cute, so I vote Ava Lea Elizabeth or Elizabeth Lea.

• Options
    queenbonequeenbone member
    edited July 2013
    If his mother has already passed away and he wants to use her name I would not suggest changing to something else ever. I have never been emotionally ready to use my deceased father's name, but I'd be super pissed at my DH if he suggested changing to something else if he had already agreed to using it. She's already dead, don't kill her name for him all over again.

I hate cancer. I hope your mom kicks cancer's mother effing ass.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    katyb507 said:
    First and foremost, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this and I'll keep your mom in my thoughts.  I'm not trying to be indecisive, but would you ever use 2 middle names?  Ava Lea Elizabeth?  It's a mouthful, but maybe an option.  If not, I would at least ask your husband how he feels about it.  I can't imagine he wouldn't understand where you're coming from and why you'd ask.  Not to be cold, but your mom is here and will know the baby was named for her, whereas his mom has already passed.  FWIW, I like Ava Elizabeth better anyway 

Good luck!!!  
    Damn, that IS some cold hearted s___! I'm going to assume that you don't have much perspective on grief, and for that you should consider yourself very grateful. His mother has very recently passed and I imagine the grief is still very fresh for him. I cannot imagine any scenario where telling someone his mother doesn't count because she's already dead and won't know the difference. That is some seriously effed up logic you have. Shameful.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear and like PP I agree that you should consider using both. I also like Ava Lea as a double first name and Elizabeth as a mn.

I think it would be beautiful to include both names xx
  • Options
    Hi Ladies,
    Thank you so much for all your kind words about my mom.. It has been a really rough year for our family and the thought of our kids losing both grandmothers in one year is just heartbreaking. I am not a fan of double middle names either but I think I might suggest it and see if he likes the idea.
  • Options
    I love names that come from family members, using his mother's name and your mother's name is very important. I was named after two of my mother's aunts... "Meg" and "Ann"... therefore, Megan. Best of luck with choosing a name and I'll definitely keep your family in my thoughts. 
  • Options
    queenbone said:
    katyb507 said:

Good luck!!!  
    Damn, that IS some cold hearted s___! I'm going to assume that you don't have much perspective on grief, and for that you should consider yourself very grateful. His mother has very recently passed and I imagine the grief is still very fresh for him. I cannot imagine any scenario where telling someone his mother doesn't count because she's already dead and won't know the difference. That is some seriously effed up logic you have. Shameful.
    I'm going to put this simply - don't be a bitch.  I wasn't trying to be mean and you're only trying to stir up sh*t.  If you want to reply to this, send me a PM and I'll be happy to engage this conversation privately. 
  • Options
    What about Eliza Lea? Or ava lea beth? Or Elizabeth lea and save ava for another.
    imageimageimage
    Funny Anniversary Ecard: I love being married to my best friend. I can tell him anything because half the time he doesn't hear me.
    TTC Sine June 2013
    BFP #1 August 6, 2013  MC August 10, 2013
    Started temping January 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"