September 2013 Moms
Options

BFAR...Breastfeeding after Reduction

I was just wondering if there are any ladies out there who have had a breast reduction and intend to breast feed. I have done research on the matter but what I have read it can go either way on the success scale. I want to breastfeed my child but I am worried that I will not be able to because I have yet to have any "leakage" I know some women do not get their milk in until right before or after the birth ( I am hoping this is my case), I still have nipple sensation which is a good sign.

Re: BFAR...Breastfeeding after Reduction

• Options
    Leakage isn't a sign of whether or not you will be able to breastfeed.  I haven't had any breast surgery and am still not leaking.  But I'm not concerned that the lack of leaking will have any impact on my ability to breastfeed.  Some lucky women never leak at all, before or after birth.
  • Options
    elm005elm005 member
    I did not have a reduction but I did have a lumpectomy and radiation on my right breast about 7 years ago.  I do have a tiny bit of crusting on my left nipple (which also had a biopsy) but nothing from the left.  The radiation most likely damaged all ducts that were left on the left side though.  I asked my dr and did a lot of research.  It is very possible that I will be able to breastfeed normally from my left side but even if I have milk in the radiated breast it will probably be thicker/saltier.  I know that my situation is different from yours but the moral of this story is.... I was told that if there are ducts left it is very possible that you will be able to feed normally.  Although depending on the amount of ducts, the supply may be affected and you may have to supplement.  But some is always better than none.  And if you can't for some reason, just know you are still doing everything you can to make sure your LO has what it needs.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a breast reduction about 8 years ago and being able to breast feed is my biggest fear right now. My doctor took the least invasive method, left all the ducts intact, but did remove some cysts. He estimated that I'd have a 75-85% chance of having no problems breast feeding. But, that was an estimate and I'm worried now!
    I have had a little bit of crust a couple of times, but that's it. I know that doesn't mean anything but it made me a little hopeful!
  • Options
    This is me :) I had a reduction 10 years ago. I've been reading and researching a lot because I want to BF. There's a great book by Diane West called "Defining Your Own Success: Breastfeeding After Breast Reduction Surgery." You can find it on Amazon, B&N, etc. There is also a website www.bfar.org. They have a forum section that I signed up for, but there doesn't seem to be anyone on it.

From what I've read so far, your success rate increases by the type of surgery you had, as well as how long ago your surgery was. If you have sensation in your nipples, that's great. It means your nerves are working. There is also a thing called "recanalization" and "reinnervation." From the FAQs on the website:

"Recanalization is the process during which previously severed ducts reconnect or new ductal pathways develop.  The most extensive instances of recanalization have been seen in direct response to lactation.  Any duration of lactation seems to prompt the mammary system to reestablish new ducts."

"...nerves can regenerate and reconnect through a process called reinnervation."

From the book, it's also a good sign if your boobs have reacted to your pregnancy, as in being sensitive in the 1st Tri and getting larger throughout the pregnancy.

I hope that I don't sound like a commercial for the book and website, but I'm excited about the prospect of being able to BF, especially with all the things I've read. I am also realistic about it, knowing that I may need to supplement if I don't produce all the milk that LO needs.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    @redfallon thanks for all of that info and those resources! That was enormously reassuring! :)
  • Options

@redfallon great to know it has been about 9 years since the reduction...I have been on the bfar website and I have been reading that glimmer of hope is still there, so I am just hoping and praying that this goes the way we want it to!

I am just in the hurry up and wait mode!

• Options
    You're welcome! It's also nice to connect with others who've gone through this. It's really hard to find a lot of info on this, since a lot of doctors, lactation consultants, etc, don't have extensive info about how it all works. I think I'm going to be lucky with the lactation consultant that's at the hospital where I'm delivering. She taught our BF class and brought up info on BFAR. I am pretty confident that she'll be able to work with me on it if I have any issues.

Another thing on the recanalization is that since it reacts directly to lactation, if you don't have great success on your first kid, you can have better success with your second. All the baby's nursing can help to regenerate those ducts.

Jamie

• Options
    I had a reduction 6 years ago. I had similar concerns with DS. I hoped for the best, but was open minded. I successfully EBF for 13 months. He weaned himself when I was 14 weeks pregnant. My best advice, find a lactation consult! I attribute my success to our LC.
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had a reduction 6 years ago. I had similar concerns with DS. I hoped for the best, but was open minded. I successfully EBF for 13 months. He weaned himself when I was 14 weeks pregnant. My best advice, find a lactation consult! I attribute my success to our LC.
    @a2003tiger This is the type of thing that really helps me to keep positive. I love to hear stories of BFAR moms who've been able to successfully EBF. I think that having an open mind is key, too.

Jamie

• Options
    auroraloo said:
    A few women on s12 BF after reduction, you could ask this there.

good idea! thank you @auroraloo!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"