Working Moms
Options

Daycare sickness, WWYD?

jennyelfjennyelf member
edited July 2013 in Working Moms
LO was sent home from daycare yesterday.
Symptoms:
goopy eye (needed to be wiped more than 3 times), but no redness
tired
not hungry
temp 99.6

The goopy eye was what got LO sent home (suspected pink eye).
Once LO was home, they seemed fine. Eye remained clear for the rest of the day, LO ate dinner, slept well, and no temp this morning, seems in good spirits (running around babbling). No goop, no redness.
Goopy eye could be allergies, both DH and I have pretty bad seasonal allergies. I don't believe it's pink eye given lack of goop/crusties this morning and lack of any redness.
The rest of the symptoms: well LO is 15 months old and all 4 molars are coming in right now (I've felt around the gums and found the little tooth points poking through).

Rules at daycare:
Child either needs to be goopy eye free for 24 hours
or Child needs to seen by a doctor and either be on antibiotics for 24 hours or given a note that states that it's not pink eye / contagious

So we can either take what seems to be a perfectly healthy kid to the doctor, pay $130 for a "your kid is fine note" and be able to send them to daycare for the rest of the day today OR keep the kid home today and send them in tomorrow if nothing appears to be wrong.

So it's either miss half a day of work today and pay $130 to see a doctor or miss a full day of work, not get a note and run the risk of kid being sent home tomorrow if goopy eye returns.

WWYD?

Re: Daycare sickness, WWYD?

• Options
    LoCarbLoCarb member
    edited July 2013
    Assuming your LO is fine through the morning, I would return him to school at lunch time. Taking a 1/2 day of work and keeping him home close to the 24 hr mark.

ETA: How old is LO? Can you ask if his ear bothers him to rule out an EI? Both my kids get conjunctivitis each time they have an EI (no fever). However, the eye discharge is A LOT.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Can't return LO to daycare today unless a doctor clears them. Doctor visit costs $130... LO was sent home at 4:50pm yesterday, so it won't be 24 hours unless they are home all day today.

LO is 15 months and not showing signs of an EI, but on the other hand, LO never has when they have had one, so that's kinda not the most useful thing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Leap08Leap08 member
    What costs less to you - doctor's visit or loss of a day of work? We pay next to nothing to take our girls in for an office visit ($15 co-pay), so for me it would be an easy decision. If we had to pay $130, I'd have to weigh that cost against the loss of a vacation day. I'd don't have very many of those right now, so I'd still probably choose the expensive doctor's visit. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have unlimited sick leave that can be used to care for a child/dependent. DH has 2 weeks sick leave / yr, 1 week of which can be used to care for a child/dependent. His sick leave is use or lose. So this doesn't really cost us anything to stay home.

We decided to go for the doctor visit just in case we're missing something. Individually, the symptoms are fine. As a whole they certainly point to at least mild illness (which if this was a weekend I wouldn't bring him to a doctor or even mention it to daycare). It'd be good to have a note in any case so that daycare doesn't send him home again tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"