August 2012 Moms

Tip Jars

Just curious.  Have you seen a lot of tip jars popping up (it seems) everywhere?

So, do you feel guilted when you see one, and always leave something?

Do you just throw your change in it so you don't have extra change in your purse?

Does it depend on the establishment?

photo judgejudy.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tip Jars

• YES. I just talked to SO about this the other day! I always feel obligated to put something in it, especially if the jar is covered in neons signs that say, "TIPS!" I usually just throw my change, not bills, in there.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• I throw change in, but not usually bills. I figure if the person gave me enough specific attention, I can tip on the bill. If the service was impersonal enough that there is a general tip jar, I don't need to be quite as generous. Does that make me a cheap tipper?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I usually throw change in the bagel shop near me, but it's always the same girls working there, and the one always asks how my baby is.

Last week, I was at a bagel shop that had a tip line on their credit card receipt.  I understand having them if you have a sit down section, but it was just a place to buy bagels!  I'm not tipping you to throw 6 bagels in a bag!

photo judgejudy.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Rhomonk said:

I usually throw change in the bagel shop near me, but it's always the same girls working there, and the one always asks how my baby is.

Last week, I was at a bagel shop that had a tip line on their credit card receipt.  I understand having them if you have a sit down section, but it was just a place to buy bagels!  I'm not tipping you to throw 6 bagels in a bag!

I feel the same way about take-out at my local coney island. Flame away if you must. The cooks box up the orders on the line and just set the take-out container, already full of food, on the counter. All the girls have to do is throw it in a bag. I know for sure the cooks don't get the tips (because they're usually making $10+/hour) at this particular coney island, so why should I tip someone for throwing containers in a bag? I don't tip the cashier at McDonald's for doing the same thing.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• sosophsosoph member
    I tip when the workers do not earn minimum wage. Counter tip jars bother me, especially when I have to pick up and bus my own dishes.
  • I only see tip jars at coffee shops, ice cream shops, and small places like that. Where do you guys see them?

If I pay with cash, I'll throw the extra coin change in the tip jar.
    SeptsiggyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've seen tip jars in some really stupid places, most recently a stand selling jewelry at art fair event. What exactly were they hoping to get tipped for? Sitting on their lawn chairs watching people browse their over priced jewelry? As one can imagine their jar was empty.
    I frequent a local business that is half restaurant half bakery and I will only tip if I'm getting something that takes effort to make. If I'm getting a coffee and a muffin to go I don't tip but if I'm getting hot food and a fancy coffee that takes actual effort to make I'll leave a little. It just depends on my mood sometimes, too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

• Rhomonk said:

I usually throw change in the bagel shop near me, but it's always the same girls working there, and the one always asks how my baby is.

I feel the same way about take-out at my local coney island. Flame away if you must. The cooks box up the orders on the line and just set the take-out container, already full of food, on the counter. All the girls have to do is throw it in a bag. I know for sure the cooks don't get the tips (because they're usually making $10+/hour) at this particular coney island, so why should I tip someone for throwing containers in a bag? I don't tip the cashier at McDonald's for doing the same thing.

For to-go, I tip about 10%. Most of the time the server is doing more than what BBJ described. (I'm not saying you made that up, BBJ, just that other places are usually different depending on the establishment.
    SeptsiggyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I throw in a counter tip at the local coffee shop I LOVE.  They are the only place that will put cayenne and cinnamon in my mocha.  They used to walk back and forth to the kitchen to get it, but now they keep a jar of cayenne with the other coffee flavoring :)  My drink caught on!  They do go the extra mile for their customers, though.  I will throw change in at Starbucks because I just don't order anything off the wall (and they don't have cayenne!).  

I worked at a frozen custard shop in high school and we had a counter tip jar.  Some nights, split between all of us, we'd make an extra $10.  On holiday weekends, we'd each make an extra $20.  We'd do "showy" things like flip scoops and toss sundaes, bring items out to customers if it was taking too long to make, and replace things they just didn't like for free.  

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness."
  • It really bothers me when I see tip jars at events, ie weddings, parties etc for the bartender, valet, etc.  Flame away - but I find that extremely tacky.  At our wedding, we took care of the tip for all the guests.  The reception hall actually had a policy that the employees were not allowed to accept tips if the family had requested that.  In our case, we had no problem with that. In my drinking days, I would tip the bartender so my drink was always ready when I walked up to the bar.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a friend complain that they couldn't tip the bartender at another friends wedding. He worked in the service industry for a long time and liked to grease their palms to get his drinks extra strong, lol! Our place was classy, no tip jar on the counter. If you wanted to tip, you tipped, otherwise, there was no guilting jar on the counter.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We have a big issue here that we have a hard time with. There is an over abundance of counter service restaurants where you pay first then people bring out the food and bus your tables. There's a tip line on your cc receipt and a jar on the counter. How the heck are you supposed to tip, if you haven't seen the service yet? We've been some places that have gone above and beyond, especially with the baby, and others that drop the food and run.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"