Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Baby to Toddler....Question.

Lurking from the 6-9 month board. This may sound dumb. I have this awful feeling that C is going to be a terror when she is a toddler. She is 9 months old. She is ALL over the place, from one toy to another in matter of seconds, she pushes me away when I try to snuggle her or comfort her. On the other hand she is very smart. She crawls, knees, stands, takes steps, waves bye bye and claps. I have visions of her being on a leash when we go out. Does anyone have a toddler that WAS like this and became more affectionate/less "crazy all over the place" or does it get worse? lol.
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby to Toddler....Question.

• Options
    I think all toddlers are pretty "crazy all over the place."  It sounds like your LO is getting the hang of standing and walking pretty early, so maybe the exploring stage will start a little earlier for you than for lots of other people, but I'm pretty sure all toddlers are all over the place.  They've just learned how to get around on their own, and now they have stuff to investigate! 

I'm a big fan of letting kids explore whatever they want, as long as it's not dangerous.  In my experience, letting them have the freedom to explore and play and make messes with most things tends to keep tempers in check when you do have to take something away or redirect them away from something dangerous. So that's my advice.
  • Options
    Ya, like she will grab and stand up on anything that she can reach. This includes tables and the TV stand. I let her but i'm wondering if maybe i'm being too laid back and should be redirecting her to her own toys or what not. Hmm. And the fact that she pushes me away makes me sad. Grr.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Your DD sounds like my DD at that age, except she wasn't taking steps quite so early. My DD is very feisty and she does not like being smothered. I can't hug her too tight or shower her with kisses because she will push me away too.

To answer your question, yes- she is still like that at 14 months. I wasn't expecting things to get easier as she got older I just tried to embrace her personality. That was best for us because then we always knew what to expect. I've also learned that she shows affection in her own way (without the bear hugs and smooches) so I've learned to be affectionate in "her" way and everyone is happy.

GL!

Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary

• Options
    DS started walking at 9.5 months. He wasn't affectionate, always into something, and constantly pushing me away. Like a PP, I let him get into whatever he wants as long as it isn't dangerous. His toys seem so uninteresting to him, but digging through a cupboard full of plastic containers will occupy him for at least 15 minutes.

Anyway, he's still the same. He'll give a hug and a kiss when he feels like it, but by no means do we snuggle. Ever. If I sit on the floor to play with him, he will occasionally purposely walk over to me and sit in my lap, which is nice. We have to practice with him to hold my hand and walk beside me everytime we're out. I can't trust him to do that most of the time. If he sees something he wants to explore, he pulls away. If I hang on, he sits down. It's not easy, but we just get through. It's seriously so much fun, though. The walking thing is sucky, but whatever. When he is just miserable from not being able to rip through everything I put him in the cart or we carry him. But I always give him a chance to walk with us first.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone :) She is my only babe so I have nothing to compare her too!
  • Options
    My DD is honestly as perfect as they can get IMO and anyone who knows her. We are very blessed. She doesn't sound all that different from your LO, my LO wasn't as mobile as yours at that age yet though. Your LO is just realizing how exciting everything is and that she can interact with things in a whole new way.

Also my DD is almost two and she is just getting more affectionate, I think it's a bit of a control thing and a bit of they don't have time for cuddles, that would cut into play and exploration time.
    You will never know how much you mean to me my little jelly Bean.
    Mommy loves you Eevee! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    <a href="http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz270/cpali/?action=view
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"