Breastfeeding
Options

Traveling w frozen breastmilk

Good morning!
I will be traveling by car with my 9 week old son for about 7 hours. The trip is approximately 4.5hrs but I'm accounting for breastfeeding stops and stretching. I'd like to bring some of my frozen milk down for a few reasons. One, We have an event to go to and my mother will need to give him a few bottles. I'm always fearful to not have it as backup ... thinking what if my supply is low that day after travel?(Im paranoid since I do not want to give him formula) Secondly my sister just had a baby too and is unable to produce enough to feed her son. Since I have a decent frozen supply I would like to bring some for her to add to his formula for the health benefits. Soooo my questions is... How can I travel with frozen breastmilk? I live in the sticks but think I may be able to acquire dry ice, other than that, the only option I've been able to find is ice packs which probably wouldn't keep it frozen that long. If I go the ice pack route and it defrosts but is still in a cooler w ice packs can I then put it in the refrigerator for three days?

FTM and FT out breastfeeding. Thank you all in advance for any advice, tips or tricks. It is all greatly appreciated!!

Re: Traveling w frozen breastmilk

• Options
    My understanding is once it is thawed it has to be used within 24 hours. Some people also go with the smell test - as long as it smells ok it's good. I generally stick with 24 hours to be safe.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd for sure try to get some dry ice - that would be your best bet on keeping it frozen longest.  I make a 2.5 hour trip with frozen BM and it's already starting to get a little squishy, so I'm not sure if it would last a full 7 hours with just ice packs :/
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    cltk12cltk12 member
    Pack it in a cooler with some ice and it should be fine.  If you're super concerned, change the ice out half way.

I flew to AZ with approx 75oz of milk in a soft sided cooler with 2 ice packs and threw 2 cups of ice on top after we went through security and it was fine.  When I got to my mom's, I put it in the freezer and it was still rock hard.  It was in the cooler for about 10 hours.  Even if it is thawed a bit, it's still considered frozen.
  • Options
    Crumpled newspapers are a great insulator in addition to dry ice.  Search youtube for ideas.  One I like is THIS ONE.  Advance to around 6:30

my hero wears kevlar Pictures, Images and Photos

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all for your stories and advice! Thinking soft cooler and ice/ice packs. Going to do the best I can! Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    I flew from Europe with frozen BM in a cooler with ice. Total trip was 12 hours, it was still frozen when I got home. Remember to put the cooler inside the car with you, it will be cooler than in the trunk
  • Options
    Good morning!

LO and I made the trip yesterday. I packed the BM in a soft cooler. I placed a number of flat 3-5oz Lano bags on top of each other and tightly wrapped them in newspaper. I placed a freezer bag of ice on the bottom, newspaper w breast milk and multiple ice packs on top. We traveled from 9am to 430 pm and it was still nicely frozen pun our arrival.

Thanks again for all the input!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"