February 2013 Moms
Options

NBR - open door policy?

My SO and I are having a large disagreement about this right now so I was curious if this is typical in your household.

We live very close to her whole family (like all members are less than 10 minutes away).  Many of her family members have an open door policy where anyone is allowed to come and go from your house whenever they please.  I've never grown up like this, but it's normal to her.  My compromise is that her family just gives a heads up that they are on their way.  She believes that this makes everyone feel unwelcome in our home. 

So my question is... what's your policy for family members stopping over?  Is it normal for family members to stop over unannounced?  How often are you seeing family members?

Re: NBR - open door policy?

• Options
    We don't live within "stopping by" distance of any of our relatives, but if we did, I would appreciate a call just because with LOs, it isn't always a good time. Besides, we have a dog that goes crazy with the doorbell and will wake sleeping kids if we don't do a preemptive strike.
  • Options
    We do live withing "stopping by" distance. DH's parents are less than a mile away and my parents are about 15 minutes away.

My parents would never stop by unannounced, but DH's parents do on occasion, which drives me kind of nuts, since like Justinlove we have an excitable dog. And most of the time, even when they do give us notice, it's like half an hour, max. Does not sit well with my borderline Aspergian [is that a word?? It is now!] need to have my day planned out. Last minute changes tend to create more than a little inner turmoil, though I've gotten better at concealing it.

Although at least the in-laws do ASK if it's a good time when they call ahead, rather than just informing us that they're coming over. It's just that I feel funny about telling them no unless we're actually not home, so even when it ISN'T a particularly good time, I say yes and then try to act like I'm not completely thrown off by the change o plans.

A lot of times I will just pass DD off to them and take advantage of the time to go clean or something. I get to accomplish something, and making my surroundings more organized helps make the panic go away. [Ha. Anyone remember the last FFFC when I mentioned my OCD? This is a prime example of it in action. At least my compulsions are productive!!]

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Say what? I need an hour min to get my house looking presentable.  I think your compromise is totally reasonable.  Couldn't you just explain to the in laws you need a heads up in case you are in the shower or taking a nap?  I get that keeping the family peace is important but in my experience once you set boundaries people get over it eventually.
  • Options
    ShabutieShabutie member
    edited July 2013
    My husband's mother and stepfather live literally right next to us. Fully separate houses, but we share a driveway, so their door is like, 100 feet from ours... Anyways, we have keys to their house and they to ours(but we keep our doors unlocked during the day). MIL just walks in whenever she likes, within reasonable hours. Likewise, we just walk into their house whenever we want. If there is a time during the day where I don't want her stopping by, I will "accidentally" lock the front door. She understands, and will just go away. If she mentions it later, it is only to tell me the reason why, e.g., she needed to borrow some sugar or something.
    Personally, I love this setup. If I need a moment without the baby to run errands or whatnot, I just go up there and plop baby in her lap, lol. It helps that she is head-over-heels in love with the baby :P
    Now, my stepfather-in-law is another story. He mostly keeps to himself, and has literally never held baby even once. He always knocks/asks if he can come inside our house for any reason. He won't even come inside if we aren't home to ask. If he just walked in like MIL, I would be very upset about it and honestly don't know how I'd handle that one. Maybe just politely ask him to knock next time.
    I hope you find something that works, I hate it when families have disagreements, especially about levels of personal comfort. That is difficult. (I, personally, think it is ridiculous that asking them to knock would make them feel unwelcome)

ETA: My closest family member is over 450 miles away, so they would never imagine not calling first. Though, if any of my family lived next to me like MIL does, I would tell them to call first. I wouldn't do well with my mother randomly running over with a cat asking me to help her wash it, lol...
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Say what? I need an hour min to get my house looking presentable.  I think your compromise is totally reasonable.  Couldn't you just explain to the in laws you need a heads up in case you are in the shower or taking a nap?  I get that keeping the family peace is important but in my experience once you set boundaries people get over it eventually.
    This is exactly what happened last night that started the fight.  I had just gotten out of the shower.  We were watching the Bachelorette (I know it's a stupid show but we are so wrapped up in it!) so I didn't want to miss anything so I was sitting in the living room and wasn't really (tmi) presentable since I ran from the shower when I heard it was back on!  Her dad showed up.  I booked it naked to the bedroom!  Awkward!!
  • Options
    MBush4MBush4 member
    I don't think you're unreasonable. My family is very comfortable with each other and my parents and one of my brothers live within 20 minutes of us. But they'd never just drop by; we always check to make sure it's okay first. In my mind it's just common decency... I mean, I think a mutual understanding as in the case of BNHarris is fine, but since none of our family lives that closely, it's not a thing.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• Options
    Both DH's and my family all live very close. Both sets of parents live within 5 minutes. However, no one ever just stops by without asking. If someone wants to visit, they always call or text first. To me, that's just common courtesy, especially with having a LO. I don't understand how letting someone who has a baby know that you're coming over would make anyone feel unwelcome.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options

All of our family is at least 30 minutes away, so it's not quite the same for us, but when I was little we lived 10 minutes from my grandparents and my mom would bring us by all the time unannounced.  Sort of the opposite of your situation - my grandparents only came to our house for birthdays or holidays.

I think you have to do what you are comfortable with.  I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a quick phone call or text message saying, "Hey, we are going to drop by in 20 minutes, okay?"  If they need a reason, reference what happened last night.  Or you could make it really awkward and say "SO and I like to spend "personal" time together quite often...wouldn't want you to walk in on anything."  ;-) 

• Options
    My family is about 45 mins away and no one stops by unannounced. With everyone's schedules being crazy as they are, we have to schedule our get togethers pretty far in advance. If our schedules weren't as hectic and we all lived closer together, I would still appreciate a phone call before a visit. I'm not a fan of surprise visits at all.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    AuntieMaimeeAuntieMaimee member
    edited July 2013

If someone wants to come by, they just need to call ahead.  I want to be prepared to answer the door.  I don't usually answer it if I'm alone and not expecting anyone.  And I want to be sure that I'm not in the middle of feeding my daughter, or in some ratty old pajamas.  I also grew up in a house where no one just showed up unannounced.  I think it's common courtesy to give a heads up.

Eta: The only person allowed to stop by and let herself in is my Mom, but she only does that during the day when she knows my husband is a work and I usually have an idea that she's on her way.

• Options
    My whole family live within a few minutes of each other. His parents are about 15 minutes away. We always come and go with each other. Sometimes there are phone calls or texts. Not often though. We don't feel the need to have a tidy house for each other. Heck most of the time we don't care about getting out of our sleep clothes for each other. It's just family.
                    Our Blessing From God Through Adoption
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                   Our Blessing After TTC for 6 Years (natural birth!)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                             EBFing, CDing, BWing, SAHM
  • Options

My whole family live within a few minutes of each other. His parents are about 15 minutes away. We always come and go with each other. Sometimes there are phone calls or texts. Not often though. We don't feel the need to have a tidy house for each other. Heck most of the time we don't care about getting out of our sleep clothes for each other. It's just family.
    This is exactly how my SO feels.  It's just so foreign to me that it's incredibly uncomfortable.  It's good to hear that someone else's family operates the same way her's does!
  • Options
    My family lives within stopping by distance and my dad actually works just down the street. It drives me crazy if they just "pop in" because they spend the entire time getting little jabs in about the state of my house. Its always clean, just not as clean as it could be. Or would if they would call before showing up!
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    jbatchjbatch member
    My family doesn't stop by without talking to me.. DH's dad has stopped by without asking a few times.. I was not so happy..

I have a Daughter born 2/26/2013. She is pretty much amazing!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Everyone should at least try and give us a heads up if they are going to stop by. Even if they are already on their way,
    *** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • Options
    No way is that acceptable. she's a grown adult and shares her home with another grown adult. If they feel "unwelcome," then they need to put on big girl panties and grow up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"