High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Protein Shakes for GD

Hello all, I am 22w and have had GD for about a month now. I am so tired of eating eggs and meat at breakfast I could spit. So I went online looking and saw some suggestions for Muscle Milk....cake batter flavor. I mix it with water so I'm following the no-dairy rule. I guess I'm wondering if this is going to add unnecessary weight? I am not supposed to gain too much this pregnancy because of my being overweight to begin with. But when I looked at the nutritional list it said 6g fat. The amount of protein I get out of one serving to me is worth the fat/calories. Considering an egg is 5g of fat. Anyway, I guess I'm wondering if this should be a once in a while thing I can drink or if once a day is ok. Any thoughts or experiences? TIA
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Protein Shakes for GD

• Options
    Also, today I mixed it with one container of Dannon Light & Fit greek yogurt for extra protein as my late morning snack. It's good but I want to make sure this is a wise choice :)

• Options

I buy MRM's 100% Natural Whey protein powder (chocolate or vanilla) even when I am not pregnant, because it has a nutritious profile AND does not contain fillers or artificial sweetners/preservatives.

For me, protein shakes work great. I have gained 9 lbs so far this pregnancy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am in the same boat. I have had a really bad meat aversion for my entire pregnancy so this diet is miserable for me as I have to force the meat down. I have been doing protein shakes at lunch and they have been working great. I would just be careful that you make sure the stuff you are taking is FDA approved as a lot of supplements can have weird ingredients in them. I also eat a lot of Clif builder bars. I think they have 5 grams of fat but 20 grams of protein so they are a nice break from the meat, cheese, eggs and nuts routine.
  • Options
    I have been having two eggs, shredded cheese and toast for breakfast for the last 3-4 months :-) 

I have gained 4 pounds since GD diagnosis at 24 weeks. I don't count calories or fats, just carbs. I do make sure to have protein and fiber. I eat yogurt a lot (morning snack and lunch). 

Most of the ladies on here will tell you that you really don't gain much on the GD diet. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for the responses. This is my third pregnancy and with the other two I did not have any complications. I was not totally shocked by the GD diagnosis because I knew I was overweight and living in Hawaii I am hot ALL the time. So I do not like going outside during the heat of the day which did not help with my activity level. I have controlled the weight gain thus far very well I believe. I had gained 3lbs up until 16 weeks and since then I've only put on another 2. That is one great thing about this GD diet....I feel healthier and know it will be easier to lose after the baby. Thanks again!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"