January 2013 Moms
Options

Dummy when it comes to breast milk

I started pumping because I'm in a wedding on Saturday. I saw in another post most babies take 5oz bottles, I'm hoping that's the case since that's what the milk bags hold. This will be first time DD will have to take a bottle all day and be away from me (I skipped the bachelorette party I posted about before) the weddings not till 6:30pm but I have to be there at noon and getting my hair done before that. My DH will be bringing DD to the wedding and hopefully i'll have time to nurse her before it starts. My question is I'm pumping and freezing them now, then I'm making the 5hour road trip tomorrow night and the milks not needed till Saturday. Would I just keep the milk in a cooler with ice packs during drive then put them back in freezer where we're staying? I just realized I'm going to need to pump while I'm there since I'll be gone from DD over 6hours...or would it be okay to not pump since I go over 6hours during the night with out feeding her? I don't want to mess up my supply, idk if one day would do that...
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dummy when it comes to breast milk

• Options

Good luck to you!  Have you tried DD on a bottle before at all? Maybe practice a couple of times to make sure that she WILL take the bottle or else she may just hold out on you which will not be pleasant at all :(

I would freeze the milk and allow it to thaw out at room temperature. Travel with the milk in a cooler, and take a bottle warmer or some other thing you can use to safely warm up the milk for her.  Good luck.

• Options

You want the milk to stay frozen. Once it thaws it should be used in 24 hours. so pack it in lots of ice and maybe check it and replenish 1/2 way into your drive

Thanks, I thought I'd read that somewhere. I'd be upset if I lost all this milk
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's best to keep the milk frozen while you drive. Do you have a freezer pack? Those are helpful.

5 ozs should be plenty for a feeding. But you could always freeze some smaller amounts like 2-3 ozs in case she needs topped off at all.

Also, I would pump while you're away. Even though your body can go overnight without nursing during the day you're more than likely going to feel more full than you would at night. Plus I have found if I don't pump during the day my chest doesn't fit as well into bras/tops.

Good luck! I was in a wedding last month and I actually stayed overnight from DD for the first time ever. It was nerve wracking, especially since I EBF too but all was fine and it was nice to have a night away!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Good luck to you!  Have you tried DD on a bottle before at all? Maybe practice a couple of times to make sure that she WILL take the bottle or else she may just hold out on you which will not be pleasant at all :(

I would freeze the milk and allow it to thaw out at room temperature. Travel with the milk in a cooler, and take a bottle warmer or some other thing you can use to safely warm up the milk for her.  Good luck.

Thanks! Thankfully DD will take a bottle, I tried one the other night after not trying one for a month. This girl will take anything lol I won't be needing to warm up any milk for her, my DH will. But he knows how to do that in a bowl of warm water...I hope lol and hopefully no one will mind the matron of honor nursing during the reception if needed :)
  • Options

It's best to keep the milk frozen while you drive. Do you have a freezer pack? Those are helpful.

5 ozs should be plenty for a feeding. But you could always freeze some smaller amounts like 2-3 ozs in case she needs topped off at all.

Also, I would pump while you're away. Even though your body can go overnight without nursing during the day you're more than likely going to feel more full than you would at night. Plus I have found if I don't pump during the day my chest doesn't fit as well into bras/tops.

Good luck! I was in a wedding last month and I actually stayed overnight from DD for the first time ever. It was nerve wracking, especially since I EBF too but all was fine and it was nice to have a night away!

Thanks for the advice! I don't have a freezer pack. Going to target tomorrow, going to check some stuff out. My moms going to take her from the wedding back to her house for the night. So it will also be my first night away.
  • Options

You just want to make sure they are like covered with ice packs on all ends. I would def check on them halfway through to make sure they're still frozen. If not add to.

I LOVE bf but I cannot wait until things like this are not such an ordeal!

I love it too and will be sad when it ends. But stuff like this stresses me out, I'm worrying about everything and still not ready to leave her. Yes I'm still very attached. And props to you moms that pump all the time!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"