Cloth Diapering
Options

CDs for hospital bag

Hello wise CD Ladies!
I am new to CD (due in Sept) and plan to bring them to the hospital to start LO off in cloth. I am hoping you all can guide me on the best options for this. Around here we are discharged 6-24 hours after birth, assuming all goes well. I know I will need to be changing every couple hours (though I don't know if that's the case the first 24-48 hours), so would a dozen prefolds/fitteds and a couple covers be sufficient? I plan to also bring snappis, coconut oil, a wet bag, spray bottle, and lots of cotton wipes. Critique? Anything else I'm missing? And would you bring some sposies for backup just in case? 
Thanks so much in advance! :)

Re: CDs for hospital bag

• Options
    I don't have a critique, but that gives me an idea of what I will need. :)
    I'm worried about meconium staining my cloth dipes, any thoughts on using disposable liners to catch meconium?
  • Options
    Well I know at the hospitals here they provide disposables so if yours does as well I wouldn't bother bringing any. In fact I've heard that the hospital refills the bin every time they take the baby out to do measurements or check ups or whatnot. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    thellxthellx member
    We are doing cloth, but not starting until we get home. Our hospital provides disposables so we're just going to take advantage of that while we are there, because I think cloth would be a hassle for everyone (us, the nurses, etc...) I worry about our expensive diapers getting thrown out/lost, and I also don't really want to be hauling a bag of dirty diapers home with us. 

That being said, if you do want to do cloth at the hospital, I'd bring enough diapers and supplies to comfortably last you the maximum amount of time that you would expect to be there. So, if their typical stay is 6-24 hours, bring enough for 24 hours. I think it's better to be overprepared than under, and if it's really important to you to do cloth in the hospital, you won't want to run out and be forced to use disposables.
  • Options
    thellx said:

We are doing cloth, but not starting until we get home. Our hospital provides disposables so we're just going to take advantage of that while we are there, because I think cloth would be a hassle for everyone (us, the nurses, etc...) I worry about our expensive diapers getting thrown out/lost, and I also don't really want to be hauling a bag of dirty diapers home with us. 

That being said, if you do want to do cloth at the hospital, I'd bring enough diapers and supplies to comfortably last you the maximum amount of time that you would expect to be there. So, if their typical stay is 6-24 hours, bring enough for 24 hours. I think it's better to be overprepared than under, and if it's really important to you to do cloth in the hospital, you won't want to run out and be forced to use disposables.
    That's basically what I was thinking- hoping a dozen is enough for 24 hours. I may toss a few more in just in case. The hospitals here don't provide any diapers so I figured if I needed to bring my own, they may as well be cloth.
  • Options
    I would bring 24 hours worth of diapers. And from what I have heard from friends, meconium will not stain your diapers. 

We did cloth in the hospital, but we started the day that we knew we were going to go home. DD2 had some severe bruising on her face, due to her quick entrance, and they were really worried that she might have to stay longer for jaundice. But thankfully, we only had to stay 24 hours. Our nurse loved the cloth and asked us lots of questions about them.

Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    We did not CD in the hospital, but as pp said I would bring enough for 24 hours.   Also I think it's a good idea to bring disposables as well.  Hopefully this won't happen, but if your baby ends up needing to be in the special care nursery as my DS did you will probably just want to do disposables, since you might not be the one changing the diapers. 
  • Options
    you guys keep saying to bring enough for 24 hours....are hospital stays not longer than that? Where are you located?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Robi1Robi1 member
    We brought cloth and used it right away with no problems. Meconium is so hyped up but it was not bad at all and washed off fine. We were only there 4 hours before discharge so I brought 6 fitteds and 2 covers. Used 2. I'd say 12 should be fine for up to 24 hours. I did not have any disposables for backup and wouldn't recommend it - no reason to. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • Options

How are all of you being released so soon?!?  4 hours?!?  I was there 5 days after she was born.  Granted there was a little extra time so that they could get my blood pressure under control and because DD needed the bili-bed... but even with a totally regular delivery/totally healthy baby the standard here is 2-3 days pp.

• Options
    Robi1 said:

We brought cloth and used it right away with no problems. Meconium is so hyped up but it was not bad at all and washed off fine. We were only there 4 hours before discharge so I brought 6 fitteds and 2 covers. Used 2. I'd say 12 should be fine for up to 24 hours. I did not have any disposables for backup and wouldn't recommend it - no reason to. 

Great, thanks! A dozen it is.
    Mandmeesh said:

you guys keep saying to bring enough for 24 hours....are hospital stays not longer than that? Where are you located?

I'm in the UK and we are discharged quickly (all medically well) here, hence the 24 hours. Not sure about pp. The nice thing is that the MW makes a house call the next day to check up on you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"