Parenting

what would you eat?

I have a little bit of time (a week or two) to get my shit together.  I found out yesterday that both P & I have food intolerances to wheat, gluten, dairy, and eggs.  I will need to cut these things completely out of our diets, but I know we will both feel so much better. 

ANYway, what would you eat on your last week of food that you love but have to give up?  It can't be chocolate though, because DS gets the banshee screams if I eat it. 

GO!!

Re: what would you eat?

• Some really good ice cream.  The really high butterfat kind like Haagan Dazs.  You'll never get that flavor and texture out of non-dairy ice cream.  Just don't eat it before bed.
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • piffle42 said:
    Bread. I lurve me some bread! I think there are gluten free kinds though (or at least gluten free flour)
    Yum!  Maybe I will make a nice loaf of bread!  Eat it with plenty of butter.  Mmmmm
  • Loading the player...
  • Bread, cheese, and eggs. Like a mcmuffin but better.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• a really decadent cheese fondue and a black olive tapenade with crusty bread. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage

• Mexican food. All day. Every day.

Taco, enchiladas, burritos, chimichangas, mexican beer, carne asade....
    “I’d marry again if I found a man who had $15 million and would sign over half of it to me before the marriage and guarantee he’d be dead in a year.” - Bette Davis
  • Speaking from the other side: 

Bread.  Good, good bread.  Fresh loaves of French bread that are crusty on the outside and oh so warm and slighty chewy on the inside.  Restaurant bread bowls.  Fluffy white bread that doesn't cost $5 a tiny loaf. 

Omelets. With cheese.  Cheesy omelets. 

Take out.  Order every meal you can this week, and get it delivered.  Delivery flies out the door when you cut those things out.  Chinese food with lots of gluteny soy sauce and egg noodles.  Pizza with extra cheese. 

Pastries.  Yummy little bites of sugary goodness that all have either gluten, dairy or egg in them. 

In all seriousness, if you want tips, PM me.  I am currently gf, as is DD.  I have been both dairy and egg free in the past.  It's not hard once you get used to it.  It's not even all that sad once you realize how much better you feel, but there is a learning curve. 

French bread.  Fresh.  (I do have a recipe and make my own, but it's so not the same as just being able to buy that shit).

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Not that you can tell what I miss most from my post up there. 

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Nachos, mashed potatoes, gravy, bacon, pasta, cheese, carbs carbs and more fucking carbs.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• mbenit4 said:
    You are so strong. I couldn't do it. 
    Well, I kind of don't have a choice.  It's not like I'm trying out a new fad diet, ya know?
  • When I had to go dairy and soy free the things I missed most were cheese and any eating out. You're pretty much fucked in the restaurant dept so I would get your fav take out right meow!

image   image

• The only thing on your list of foods to give up that I eat is eggs, so I feel your pain.  :(
    Biscuits.  OMG I miss biscuits.  They are just not the same when gluten free.  Also diner pancakes.  And a maple bar.  Also falafel sandwiches.  Maybe a calzone?  Also bagels.

This may be an overwhelming amount of food, but these are the ones I miss and have a hard time replicating.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Eggs benedict for a four in one hit.
  • The only thing on your list of foods to give up that I eat is eggs, so I feel your pain.  :(
    Biscuits.  OMG I miss biscuits.  They are just not the same when gluten free.  Also diner pancakes.  And a maple bar.  Also falafel sandwiches.  Maybe a calzone?  Also bagels.

This may be an overwhelming amount of food, but these are the ones I miss and have a hard time replicating.
    I have an awesome recipe for biscuits...do you bake? 

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Just as an FYI you should slowly eliminate foods (gluten anyway, not too sure about the others) or you can get withdrawal effects and feel lousy. To answer our original question eggs Benedict for sure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I never got withdrawal symptoms and I quit all of those cold turkey.  This is the second time I've heard of the withdrawal aspect, I need to go google :).

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Definitely pizza. When I had to be dairy free, I would just craaaaaave pizza. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I do!  Thanks!
  • KC_13 said:
    Just as an FYI you should slowly eliminate foods (gluten anyway, not too sure about the others) or you can get withdrawal effects and feel lousy. To answer our original question eggs Benedict for sure.
    Yeah, I'm supposed to start with that will be the easiest.  That will be dairy. 

Hey, did you do this for your kid?  How did it affect her?  I mean, if you don't mind me asking.  Like mood, bowels, etc. 
  • Yeah, the bread substitutes will be fine/easy-ish.  The no cheese will be a bitch long term because I love it so.  But no goat or soy as a substitute, so it blows. 
  • One of my nanny kids is gluten free and has a dairy intolerance as well. There are some surprisingly delicious alternatives out there. The GF bread is expensive but really quite yummy. They make some great GF beers (for you, obviously). And the dark chocolate SILK milk is delicious. They even make it in little juice box-like containers.
  • I'm really sorry about no cheese.  That sucks dude.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KC_13 said:
    Just as an FYI you should slowly eliminate foods (gluten anyway, not too sure about the others) or you can get withdrawal effects and feel lousy. To answer our original question eggs Benedict for sure.
    Yeah, I'm supposed to start with that will be the easiest.  That will be dairy. 

Hey, did you do this for your kid?  How did it affect her?  I mean, if you don't mind me asking.  Like mood, bowels, etc. 

Yes, we found out my dd has celiac too. Luckily my son doesn't and he eats gluten. It was pretty easy. She wasn't eating a terribly large amount of gluten containing foods-she's always been a predominantly fruit, veggie and cheese eater so it only involved switching her crackers and pasta. She was struggling with chronic constipation and it went away after taking away gluten. She also made a number of gains developmentally as well. Good luck!

I do!  Thanks!

I'll try to remember to PM you the recipe tonight after C goes to bed.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"