Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Terribly gassy baby

My son is 5 weeks old and has terrible (loud and smelly!) gas. He is mostly breastfed, but he also occasionally gets formula, mostly to help him take his acid reflux medicine better. I'm not sure if it's something dietary, or if he is just gassy. Sometimes it makes him fussy, but not always. Anyone else have this experience? 

Re: Terribly gassy baby

• Options
    Yep, my DD is VERY gassy as well. She was EBF for the first month and she's now weaned and EFF. Either way she's gassy. As long as it's not making them uncomfortable than it's not a problem. I've actually tried Enfamil Gentlease and Gerber Good Start Soothe to see if it cuts down on it...and found it makes it worse! So sticking with regular formula.

"No one will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimageimage

Anniversary

• Options
    edited July 2013
    My DD is very gassy/fussy all the time and will not let me lay her down most of the day. She screams at the top of her lungs if I do. She is EBF. Sometimes I can get her to take a short nap on her tummy but she doesn't even like to be in the swing. I've started giving her gas drops by the doctor's recommendation but still have to carry her around most of the time to get things done.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS is 5 wks too, and very gassy.  He is EBF.  I also believe he is developing reflux. :(  I've experimented with cutting certain foods from my diet or at least cutting back.  I'm trying to avoid milk and cheese and ice cream.  But it's very hard for me! We use gas drops and keep him upright after feedings.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Our baby is gassy as well and she's now 3 months. After hearing her scream, despite gas drops, we tried something different. It's called Colic Calm. It is for colic as well as other digestive issues such as gas. 100% all natural. I recommend it. We bought it at Walgreens. After a dose, our little girl seems to be at ease.
  • Options
    costa2011 - we have the same problem... different formulas just seem to make it worse. Does your LO grunt and moan a lot? Mine never cries (during the grunting) but the grunting is terrible and makes it impossible for me to sleep. I think tonight I will try colic calm to see if that helps him. Anyone else have a super grunty baby that doesn't cry because of the gas?
  • Options
    HZ2012HZ2012 member
    We had this issue at about 5 weeks. Making sure to burp LO really good after each feeding, and keeping LO upright for at least 20 minutes helped my LO. We also used gas drops and dr browns bottles (but we EFF).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"