Attachment Parenting
Options

Ergo advice

I received a Moby wrap at my shower which both I and my 11.5lb 7 week LO love.  However, with the disgustingly hot and humid summer we've been having, being all wrapped is gross so I haven't been able to BW as much as I would like.  Part of my master plan was always to buy an Ergo for down the road and the Moby isn't so comfy for a larger baby but I am having a hard time justifying the cost to my husband. 

For you Ergo-owners, do you feel the $115-$120 is warranted for what you and LO get out of it?  A friend gave me her Infantino Go Go and I tried it but I don't feel it offers enough support - and LO was not happy in it for the 2 minutes I tried it out, so I really would like the Ergo.  TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ergo advice

• Options
    mb314mb314 member
    I love our Ergo.  When DS got to be about 4 or 5 months, he started to dislike being in the Moby (prior to that he was in the Moby a large chunk of the day).  We then switched to the Ergo and it's great.  It is worth the cost.  When DS and I travel, we leave the stroller at home and just use the Ergo.  It is great in the airport and we used it in NYC, avoiding the hassles of having a stroller on the subway and in stores with small aisles.  It's great for outdoor hiking. 

I don't know if you have dogs, but I am able to use the Ergo and walk the dog at the same time, which would be hard, if not impossible with my spazzy fur baby, if I was using a stroller. 

The Ergo is versatile - it can be used for front or back or hip carrying, and it "grows" with the child.  I find it to be pretty comfortable.

All that said, I didn't try out other carriers, so there may be cheaper ones that meet your needs.  But I don't know what I would do without my Ergo.

• Options
    I love our Ergo, but I didn't want to spend that much on it either - and you don't have to.  The Ergo is often on sites like Babysteals, Mamabargains, Hautelook, etc. for under $100.  I got my Ergo Performance for $65 from Babysteals.  And I recommend the Performance in terms of "heat."  We got it as an alternative to the Pikkolo - which is another SSC, but was too hot for the summer.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We love our Ergo! 
  • Options
    We have an ergo and Becco Butterfly. Both are great!
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Given how much use you get out of a quality carrier - absolutely!!  But there are lots of options out there - some cheaper and just as good.  Different carrier types too.  I would suggest seeing if you can find a babywearing meetup in your area to try out some things.  The Action Baby Carrier is a favorite buckle carrier of mine that runs cheaper than the ergo (and is cooler than the ergo as well).
  • Options
    cpmichcpmich member
    My Ergo Performance was worth every penny. Should be good deals soon at REI and other sites as in September new carrier labeling regulations take effect. Action Baby Carrier is another good option.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I love my ergo! But after I already had it I heard about a different one that I kind of wish I had instead.  It's called a Lillebaby and it's like the ergo but it can also have your baby forward facing.  They have one with mesh (the airflow) that is supposed to be cooler since it is more breathable. It is about the same price as the ergo
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I would definitely vote for an ergo or MaiTai for an older baby then toddler.  I could wear DD1 in the Ergo on my back when she was >2.5yrs (not that I did it often, but all toddlers give up eventually when at an outlet mall!).  Then again, I have never taken a stroller anywhere so if I had spent a bunch of $$$ on a fancy stroller I would have a harder time rationalizing all the $$$.
    5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

• Options
    ObLaDiObLaDi member
    I can't imagine life without my Ergo.
  • Options
    MommyPhoenixMommyPhoenix member
    edited July 2013
    I bought a Moby and an Ergo. It's too hot to wear DD in the Moby right now so the Ergo has been fantastic! Totally worth it and DD loves it both indoors (to keep Mommy company for chores ;) ) and for outings.I got a good deal on my Ergo online at https://baby.steals.com/ for $75 with interchangeable covers. Only caveat is that their deals are pop up deals on different items (twice a day) so you won't be able to purchase one on their site now, but if you keep an eye out for it, you just might be lucky enough to catch it again once it goes on sale. GL

• Options
    I love my Ergo.  Both DH and I wear it.  LO likes it.  I've worn her for several hours and was comfy.  I wore her for 2+ hours while working at a church fundraiser clearing tables and pouring drinks - it was great, since she refused to stay in the nursery!
    my read shelf:
    Erika's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Oct Angel Babies Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    sucredeesucredee member
    edited July 2013
    DD just turned 3 in May and I have been using the Ergo performance since she was 4 months old. I absolutely love it. I have not tried any others (I used a hand me down Baby Bjorn the first 4 months and it was fine but around 13-14 lb it just really killed my back). We stopped traveling with a stroller after our first trip to Europe when she was 4 months old. We went to Rome in March, so DD was almost 3, and we walked everywhere. DD walked a fair amount but also spent a lot of time in the Ergo (and she napped in it too). It has made travel (and grocery shopping) very easy. She has taken a lot of naps in there both while traveling but also while cooking ( I know this is controversial but she was on my back mostly and usually asleep). So IMHO it is totally worth the money especially if you have more kids. I am one and done but I have used it for 3 years. I don't use it much anymore but it still comes in handy for travel (and I still use it for grocery shopping but not for other shopping. I really need to room when grocery shopping plus I can get it done quicker). I used my Ergo much more than the stroller (and I just got rid of the stroller all together since I rarely used it and my friend just had a baby). Whatever good carrier you end up getting it totally worth the money (baby Bjorn would not be included in that)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    MommyPhoenixMommyPhoenix member
    edited July 2013
    Eltar08 - The Ergo is on sale on BabySteals.com right now -Hurry before they run out! ;) GL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"