Blended Families

FFFC

It's Friday!!!!!!
"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." ~ Lao Tzu

Re: FFFC

• We haven't seen SS in 3 weeks, and while I miss seeing him, it has been so incredible to not have to deal with crazy BM drama for almost an entire month. It makes me think that life would be so much easier if BM wasn't in it, even if it is minimal. Then I have to keep reminding myself that DH wouldn't be the man he is today without his experiences and of course we wouldn't have SS. I'm so looking forward to the day where we rarely if ever have to communicate with BM.
    "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." ~ Lao Tzu
  • FFFC - I may leave work an hour early and go directly home, allowing DH to pick up both kids when he gets off. (We typically each pick up one).

I am NOT gonna feel guilty since I get myself and both SKs out the door every morning alone and to their two separate Summer Camps. 

• Loading the player...
  • I have two:

I'm secrety glad that DH is going to get a beer with his friend after work, and I will be taking DS to meet his dad by myself. It must be pregnancy  hormones but that man is driving me insance and I'm hoping he stays out late so I can have some time to myself tonight.

Also, when DH loads the dishwasher I rearrange it before I start it. Its not that he has things organized in a way that they won't get clean, they are just not organized at all. So I redo it.

BabyFetus Ticker

• I am very frustrated that DH is back in "induldent dad" mode.  He bought SD an iPhone at her demand, so she is coming over this weekend.  He stayed the course for 8 months then caved.  Not sure what lesson that teaches her - if you emotionally blackmail someone long enough, they give in?

I am also not enthused that he cannot seem to tell BM No.  DH does not support SS "going away to college".  He is moving 4 hours away with his friends to go to community college while they attend a four year university.  SS has to take all remedial, non-credit classes based on placement tests, and he did not pass most core classes in high school on the first try.  So BM is demanding money for all of these expenses, and we do not have that budgeted because DH told SS and BM he was against SS moving away until he proves himself at a local community college.  But apparently, he needs to say it again - and not fund this disaster.  I am worried about how I will feel about my husband if he throws money at the problem instead of parenting.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm doing NutriSystem, and I'm SOOOOO hungry! I just want to quit and eat ice cream and burgers and crap food. But I need to lose this baby weight. So I will push through. Wahh  :((
  • 2chatter said:

I am very frustrated that DH is back in "induldent dad" mode.  He bought SD an iPhone at her demand, so she is coming over this weekend.  He stayed the course for 8 months then caved.  Not sure what lesson that teaches her - if you emotionally blackmail someone long enough, they give in?

I am also not enthused that he cannot seem to tell BM No.  DH does not support SS "going away to college".  He is moving 4 hours away with his friends to go to community college while they attend a four year university.  SS has to take all remedial, non-credit classes based on placement tests, and he did not pass most core classes in high school on the first try.  So BM is demanding money for all of these expenses, and we do not have that budgeted because DH told SS and BM he was against SS moving away until he proves himself at a local community college.  But apparently, he needs to say it again - and not fund this disaster.  I am worried about how I will feel about my husband if he throws money at the problem instead of parenting.

What community college if you don't mind me asking?  And I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to pay.  He should stay local and get a job while going to school to help pay since he has to take classes that won't even count for credit!

@jobalchak Good for you!  You deserve it!  Let the girls out and have some fun!
    =D>
  • He's going to Blinn.  He was in the bottom 10 people of a class of 900 or so - so he's clearly not Blinn Team.  The "plan" is for him to transfer to ATM, but he will need a 3.8 to do so.  Apparently I am the only person who sees issues with this.  Sometimes I wonder if I live in reality, or not.
  • My SS lost his phone and Xbox for the day so he has been out here in the living room all freaking day. I really want to give it back to him.
    utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Getting Pregnant">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sunday924 said:
    My SS lost his phone and Xbox for the day so he has been out here in the living room all freaking day. I really want to give it back to him.
    Ah yes, the best advice the ped ever gave me was, "don't choose punishments that punish you".  That is when I figured out that I could absolutely control DD by removing her ability to wear uniform jumpers to school, in favor of the dreaded pants.  If she had to wear pants, the world would simply end.  Figure out what makes SS tick that doesn't punish you.  And on the upside, there's a secret delight in the punishment TRULY getting to them and YOU being unaffected, personally, by it.  Maybe make him write a research paper on his infraction, in his room. 
  • 2chatter said:
    He's going to Blinn.  He was in the bottom 10 people of a class of 900 or so - so he's clearly not Blinn Team.  The "plan" is for him to transfer to ATM, but he will need a 3.8 to do so.  Apparently I am the only person who sees issues with this.  Sometimes I wonder if I live in reality, or not.
    I went to Blinndergarten for a little while.  Honestly if that is his plan he better try really really hard because even though they say it's easy to transfer but I had a friend that tried it and even though she had a 4.0 at Blinn still couldn't get into A&M.  It is a very hard school to get into.  I was in the top 10% and still got wait listed because there were so many other students that had higher test scores than me.  Plus the atmosphere in College Station can be a party scene if you find the right crowd and if he is already doing bad at school he will not focus on school.  Northgate can be very bad!  I know from personal experience :)  Tell your DH you know someone that said don't pay for it because it will be a big waste of money and all he'll be paying for is for SS to party!  I did that to my parents since I had to take classes at both A&M and Blinn since I got registered so late and couldn't find enough classes to be full time. 
  • Dana I so appreciate that!  It is what I keep telling DH. SS is moving there with an older party crowd.  I don't think that DH gets that I see this as setting SS up for a monumental failure from which he might not ever recover.  His SAT scores were in the bottom 25% of the US overall.  I tried to show SS how to do flash cards and he wrote the word and definition on the same side of the card.  I showed him again, and he did the same thing.  He did not get it.  BM and SS' attitude is, they decided this is happening so DH better pay for it.  It's just....alarming all around.  I really hope SS blossoms magically, but no one sees the risk that EVEN IF he does, there's a STRONG chance he still will not be able to transfer.  The back up plan is to transfer as an education major with a 3.2.  But SS doesn't want to be an educator, and thinks he can cheat the system and enroll in the B school.  The entitlement is insane.
  • I am bidding in my room right now becuase I don't want to deal with SS. I made plans to take him to the beach. Last night DH comes home and asks him to go fishing (DH would leave work early). SS didn't give our plans one single thogpught as thye walked out to the garage to get their rods&reels ready. So I made other plans and left the house at 11. Come to find out DH cannot get out of work. Guess who called and TOLD ME that he wanted to still go to the beach or be dropped off at the pier becuase he was now home and had nothing to do. Yeah, my FFFC is that I am only hiding so he doesn't wake DD up from her nap...I couldn't care less that he is bored. HE rudely choose to go with the funner activity and now he gets to feel the consequences.
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • He wants to get into A&M Business School?  GOOD LUCK!  He should have started making plans in high school to get into that.  It is damn near impossible to get into.  I know, I watched my cousin and roommates both try.  My cousin got in after he got his GPA to a 3.9 and my roommate finally gave up and went to International Studies (which worked out since she met her DH) but she had a 3.8 or 3.9 and had a 4.0 in HS and was in the top 10 people in her graduating class in HS.  And I was in the Education program.  It's not that easy either.  I think my Children's Lit class was one of the hardest classes I had to take because the Prof was such a hard a!  Also something else to think about, most of the remedial classes at Blinn (when I was there 10 years ago) started before 8 am so if he isn't a morning person he won't make it.  Plus if he plans on living in CS with his buddies he really won't make it.  I remember having to leave my dorm almost an hour early to get to class because of the trafffic of students getting to A&M, the train, then parking at Blinn.  It sucked and if you have to be there before 8 it is even worse!  I seriously hope you tell DH all this and then smack him for me if he still even thinks about paying a dime or encouraging SS!
  • MelRC117 said:
    twister22 said:
    I'm doing NutriSystem, and I'm SOOOOO hungry! I just want to quit and eat ice cream and burgers and crap food. But I need to lose this baby weight. So I will push through. Wahh  :(

I can't type outside the gray box?!?!
    Anyways...how bad does the food taste?

I need to jump start my weight loss again and I just can't seem to get into it and buckle down.  I lose weight, gain it back during the weekend, work during the week to lose it and then gain it back.  I was looking at doing the Nurtisystem or picking it up from Wal Mart and doing it for 2 weeks. 
    Sadly I'm only two days in lol. The food is okay - not amazing, but not awful. I'm not sure it's worth the cost though. I paid I think $308 for 28 days of food (breakfast, lunch, dinner, & dessert), and I did the "upgraded" version that has the frozen meals too. So I got 18 days of the dry food and 10 days of the frozen food. 
    On top of the food they give you they want you to eat 2 SmartCarbs, 2 PowerFuels, and 4 servings of vegetables a day - so these are things you have to buy from the grocery yourself on top of the $308 cost.

My Smart Carbs of choice are things like light sliced peaches fruit cups, no sugar added apple sauce, Reduced Fat Wheat Thins, half corn on the cob (no butter or salt), brown rice, and grapes.
    While my Power Fuels of choice are light string cheese, light yogurt, skim milk, low salt peanut butter, and an egg.

Each day is supposed to look like this:
    Breakfast - Nutrisystem Breakfast Entree & PowerFuel
    Morning Snack - PowerFuel
    Lunch - Nutrisystem Lunch Entree & PowerFuel
    Afternoon Snack - SmartCarb
    Dinner - Nutrisystem Dinner Entree & SmartCarb
    Dessert - Nutrisystem Dessert Entree
  • my babysitter up and quit with very little notice this week.  honestly, maybe change will be good.  I wish him well but I really hope he experiences the feeling of being let down. 

DH is leaving town tomorrow for 5 days to visit family.  I cannot wait to have the entire bedroom to myself!

DS will begin a new school in the fall that will include all of his psychiatry appointments and I couldn't be happier that I don't have to attend all of these appointments!

DH and I have decided to pursue fertility treatments and I have NO intentions of telling my parents for fear of hearing their their reaction. 
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Dana we have our weekly budget chat tonight, and this will absolutely top my agenda..  SS failed every.single.semester in HS.  He failed even with a personal tutor who came to his house twice a week.  He could never get up for before school tutoring.  I am super, super worried about all of this.  He has a pot smoking, drinking, inappropriate driving history...I think this is a recipe for disaster (I literally mean...disaster).  DH, FIL, BIL and SIL and nephew (same age as SS) are Aggies.  There's a lot - A LOT - of desire on SS' part to "fit in" but ZERO desire to work for it.  I have tried to set a good example and explain how the world works to SS but he discounts it - for example, I had to keep a 4.0 in Baylor's Honors program in order to get money from my parents.  I explained my college budget, and what I had to do when I dropped to a B+ in one class (work 60 hours a week at three jobs, two of which were research).  I gave him all the numbers - rent, auto insurance, food, electricity, phone, water, fun, gas, sorority dues, rugby fees for kit, travel - the usual budget items for a college student.  His response?  "I am working this summer so I have savings."  He has NO IDEA how much his rent is, doesn't know the cost of textbooks, etc.  I am worried about HIM, but also worried about OUR budget.  I refuse to let DH just throw money at this and make our household suffer as a result.  Your experience is soooo appreciated!  It really irks me that he thinks "education will be easy" when he...has no history of succeeding in classes in HS.
  • Good luck!  I really hope DH listens.  I wouldn't waste a penny on him moving down there.  It will all be blown very very quickly on the things he has already done, drugs and alcohol.  I drank all the time underage down there and Northgate is such a party scene.  If he has any friends already out there just kiss any money you send good bye.  Keep me updated please.  Fingers crossed!
  • My FFFC is that I hate bicyclists on the road. Not the concept but the practice. 

I hate the "3 feet" rule. What does that even mean?? Because I cannot give you 3 feet and be in the same lane, so you don't want 3 feet, you want your own lane. Fine. Beyond that, if I am in one lane and you are in another, if you are closer to me than 3 feet, that is YOUR issue, not mine! Where else am I really going to go?

I hate going 3 miles an hour up a mountain because it's a 2-lane roads and two bicyclists are in my way.

I hate the fact that bicyclists all over this city act as though traffic laws do not apply to them. They ignore red lights, go between lanes (illegal here!), and make turns without signaling in any way. 
    my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • 2chatter said:
    Dana we have our weekly budget chat tonight, and this will absolutely top my agenda..  SS failed every.single.semester in HS.  He failed even with a personal tutor who came to his house twice a week.  He could never get up for before school tutoring.  I am super, super worried about all of this.  He has a pot smoking, drinking, inappropriate driving history...I think this is a recipe for disaster (I literally mean...disaster).  DH, FIL, BIL and SIL and nephew (same age as SS) are Aggies.  There's a lot - A LOT - of desire on SS' part to "fit in" but ZERO desire to work for it.  I have tried to set a good example and explain how the world works to SS but he discounts it - for example, I had to keep a 4.0 in Baylor's Honors program in order to get money from my parents.  I explained my college budget, and what I had to do when I dropped to a B+ in one class (work 60 hours a week at three jobs, two of which were research).  I gave him all the numbers - rent, auto insurance, food, electricity, phone, water, fun, gas, sorority dues, rugby fees for kit, travel - the usual budget items for a college student.  His response?  "I am working this summer so I have savings."  He has NO IDEA how much his rent is, doesn't know the cost of textbooks, etc.  I am worried about HIM, but also worried about OUR budget.  I refuse to let DH just throw money at this and make our household suffer as a result.  Your experience is soooo appreciated!  It really irks me that he thinks "education will be easy" when he...has no history of succeeding in classes in HS.
    Welcome to my freaking life. '

DH has refused to allow the kids, SS really to feel penny pinching.  When SS asks for name brand shampoo and body wash he gets it, while DH, Monkey and I are using suave.  When SS runs out of his weekly snackfood by Wed, DH will pick more up for him.  

Even when we went from $70+k a year to $40k a year.  

SS wanted to go to Georgia Tech (because his mother told him that was the place to go) because SS wants to go into the computer programming field. Except a) he does not ahve the grades and b) he has never programed a computer in his life - EVER.

The other day, while talking about him going to college and my commenting on the fact that we might not be here then (mainly to remind him that we would not be around to fall back on), he looked at me and TOLD ME that we should just let him have the house.  I laughed and said we were never going to give him a house. 

He replied, "No, I meant rent".  I asked him how much he thought our mortgage was.  He replied "What, $600-$700?"  I laughed and told him more than double that. And that did not take into account the property taxes and insurance or utilities"  Then I asked him how much do you think our water bill costs?  He snorted something and changed the subject. 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • bebe11bebe11 member

I am ready for my DS who is 21 to find a new home.  I am done!

• I made a non healthy, easy dinner tonight and I have no remorse. Nausea has hit me full force and I cannot even think about food so fish sticks, tater tots, mac n cheese and I cut up a watermelon for the kids. It's ok.. They loved it. lol
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers                            

My Loves= SD 18 SS 16 SS13 DD13 DS10 SD6 SD5 

• Dana, got the scoop.  He is living on College, has 8 AM classes 5 days a week and is sharing a condo with three guys who are going to ATM while he will be the one at Blinn.  He's quitting his summer job and going down three weeks early to see if he can find work there.  He came over Saturday and was supposed to stay for dinner with the ILs, he left after snooping around the house and letting us in on his college plans; apparently for BM to move him down there he has to buy her new tires for her car, so I think he wants DH to pick up the tab.  NOT going to happen!  I see this all ending very poorly.
  • OH WOW.  He will have to get up early to make it to class on time.  It's only like 5 miles away usually but you have to get passed everyone trying to get to A&M by 8 and then you could hit the train and then you have to get to Blinn and park and get to class.  I would say he would have to be out the door no later than 7:15.  And I'm sure he can find a job but it's probably a little late now, most places have students returning.  I got lucky that I worked at Target at home and just transferred down.  But he can probably find a job or 2 but there won't be many hours so how does he plan on paying for food, gas, and rent?  I want to see how this goes!  What did you DH think about the great plan?
  • DH said he is on the record as opposed to this hair brained scheme.  He's pretty annoyed.  We are going down there in a couple of weeks to "make sure he gets settled and has everything he needs".  The discussion there was, if you don't support this, how much are we spending on top of a trip out there?  DH said he won't have SS going there without what he needs to survive.  I pointed out that he is living in a fully furnished three story condo with three very well off buddies.  If he gets a job he will have everything he needs.  That yielded that SS wants things like a dorm fridge for his room.  Things that are not "survival
    " items but really luxuries.  La La Land, big time.  I just want him to fail out and move back to BM's already.  That sounds horrible, but if that is not the outcome, YAY, can we just get to that point please?

And...can all Blinn students go to ATM football games free?

• No, heck A&M students can't into the games for free.  They have Sports Passes.  They were $150 when I was there but it got me into all sporting events.  As a freshman I wasn't guaranteed a ticket into the football game because there were so many students.  We had to wait in lines to get our tickets.  If you have someone else's Sports Pass you can buy a "friend" tickets for $30 I think and but you have to have the extra Sport's pass.  For the UT/AM game my freshman year people were buying Sport Passes for big bucks since it was sold out.  There is no such thing as a free game at A&M!
  • I thought that sounded INSANE.  I remember making money off ATM tickets when I was at Baylor!  Can Blinn students get an ATM sports pass?  I told DH that all unis have a sports pass, that it's not just "free" to go to all of the games.  Then I questioned if Blinn students (outside Blinn Team) can even get the same deal on a sports pass as ATM students, considering the demand for Aggie football especially.
  • Nope, not that I'm aware off.  A&M games are way to big of a money maker for the campus!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"