Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

DH vent LONG

I rarely post and not sure if this is the appropriate place but I'm too embarrassed to talk to anyone I know about this and I need to vent. Backstory: I have been planning my daughter's first birthday party for months. I made all the food, cupcakes, favors, decorations and birthday outfit. I probably went overboard but I wanted everything to be really special.Two of my best friends who live out of town and I rarely get to see were coming to the party. We had planned to have a girl's day after the party (it was in the morning) and get a hotel for that evening. I was very excited about this as I haven't done anything like this since my daughter has been born. My DH has known about this plan for months.

Fast forward to Saturday. The party was in the morning and it went really well. I am helping clean up and my MIL tells me to go into my daughter's room to help my DH. I do and see he is so drunk he can barely stand up. I hadn't spent a lot of time with him during the party since I was talking to everyone and when I saw him 45 min earlier he seemed fine so I'm shocked. I tell him to get the f@#$ away from our kid. Obviously, I can't leave my DD with him in this state so I planned to take her with my friends and I. My SIL who watches her often offered to take her so I could still spend time with my friends. We went back and forth but eventually she ended up taking her and I went with my friends.

I confronted my husband about his behavior the next day. He apologized and said he didn't know how strong the bloody Mary's were blah blah...and how this will never happen again. Despite his apology, I am still blinded by rage whenever I look at him. I don't understand how he could have been so irresponsible. He knew he was supposed to watch our DD the rest of the day and evening. WTF?  Before this, I have never not been able to trust him with her. I have only seen him this drunk three other times. Who drinks like that a child's birthday party?!?  I am also upset because I put a lot of time and effort into the party and now all I will remember is that my DH got drunk and ruined it.

I'm sorry this is so long. My DH was fine until he wasn't and then went in our room so no one really knows that this happened outside of the family. His behavior was so inappropriate that it is embarrassing to talk to anyone else I know about. It is still bothering me as I am on the bump at 3 am :) If you have made it this far thanks for listening!!! 

Re: DH vent LONG

• Options
    I can understand that you are upset but maybe those drinks he had where too much for him. I say forgive and forget. He did apologize. Also try not to let that be the way you think of your child's 1st b'day. Think of how happy your LO was and the good time you did have before that incident.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Sept1799Sept1799 member
    edited July 2013
    I agree there should not have been drinking in the morning and at a one year old birthday party. But he did apologize and you said the party went great. You did not know until you were cleaning up. You still have your girls day a d night so it did not really effect you much. Get over it and remember the good times of the day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well if it's not a regular thing then I wouldn't be that upset, i.e. "rage." I mean if SIL hadn't been able to watch LO I would have been, but she was...so I say get over it. He didn't ruin the party if no one knew he was drunk.
  • Options
    I know it sucks when stuff like that happens, but if this isn't something that happens all the time it's just bad timing on his part. At the end of the day what's done is done. He apologized, and as long as it doesn't happen again, then put it in the past and don't let it ruin your day.
  • Options
    Your DH didn't ruin the party; you said yourself you didn't realize he'd even been drinking.  He's never done this before and was clearly remorseful. Let it go.

This may not even be your DH's fault, especially since this is so out of character for him.  Is it possible there's something physically wrong with DH?  Did he take medication that might have made the effect more dramatic?  Common allergy medicines can interact very badly with alcohol. Could someone have spiked the bloody marys, not realizing they were already alcoholic?  
  • Options

Thanks for the replies. I am overreacting. More than about ruining the party, I was upset about his lack of judgment that 1. he would drink that much knowing he was watching her shortly after the party and 2. that he tried to tell me he was fine to watch her when he couldn't even stand up by himself. I will let it go and will make him stop sleeping on the couch :)

• Options
    I know it sucks when stuff like that happens, but if this isn't something that happens all the time it's just bad timing on his part. At the end of the day what's done is done. He apologized, and as long as it doesn't happen again, then put it in the past and don't let it ruin your day.
    +1.  What he did is really crappy, but I would try to forgive him as long as: (1) this is an isolated incident, (2) he's apologized, and (3) he isn't acting irresponsibly and insensitively in other ways.  And it sounds like, aside from DH's indiscretion, that you threw an absolutely WONDERFUL first birthday party for LO.  Be proud and happy and remember all of the things that went so well!!! 
  • Options
    Nel11Nel11 member
    Umm, I kind of disagree in a way with most of the other posters... I would have been pretty livid if my husband got so drunk at his daughter's first birthday party that he couldn't stand up.  That's pretty ridiculous, if you ask me.  Especially since he was responsible for her for the rest of the day... totally irresponsible and inappropriate.  So I understand why you are upset and why it's hard for you to get over... it's a breach of trust and you feel betrayed/embarrassed, etc.  I would too.

However, as others have said, what's done is done, and at this point harping on it isn't going to help anyone, especially if it is truly an isolated incident as you say.  I would sit down with your husband and have a heart to heart... tell him you are having trouble getting over it because you feel like he betrayed you and you can't trust him.  Acknowledge that this isn't typical of him, and once you've talked it out, let it go.  Try not to dwell, forgive him, and move on.  Otherwise it will eat away at you/your relationship.  Good luck!
  • Options

I think everyone has said what is to be said. I mean, you do need to get past it, it's not a marriage ending event by any means and I think you know that.

You are correct that it's a big deal, though. You had a right to be angry about it and he needed to apologize, which he did.

The one thing I wanted to point out is that when someone is drunk, they often don't know exactly how drunk they really are, which is why he would have been insisting that he was sober enough to watch her when he really, obviously wasn't.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"