Food & Nutrition
Options

Can we talk about kale?

Do you eat a lot of it?  What do you do with it?  Can you eat it raw, like in salads?  Do you make kale chips?  Do they actually come out good?  Do your kids eat it?  Do they like it?  How is it in smoothies, and if it's good, you put it in raw, I assume? 

I'm not necessarily serious with all of these questions, I'm just looking for more ideas.

We got a whole bunch of kale in our CSA basket last week.  I just finished devouring my second bowl of DH's Portuguese kale soup (dinner last night and lunch today), which is completely killer.  He also attempted kale chips over the weekend, and they were not so good.  They didn't crisp up the way I thought they would, and they were way too salty for me.  I wish I had brought more of this soup to work with me, though!  Anyway, I know there is more kale coming in this week's basket, so I'm looking for some other ideas to try.  Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can we talk about kale?

• Options
    RseedRseed member

Kale is delicious in salad! It's crunchy! Many people told me to massage the dressing/oil into the kale leaves, but I like to leave them a little firmer. They hold a lot of dressing because they are so ... "curly" I guess. 

For kale chips - check out the blog "Undressed Skeleton"... She has a great recipe for kale chips!! 

• Options

I put it in smoothies. I blend it raw with bananas and other fruits; tastes wonderful.

I also love a good kale salad.

Apropos chips, I've made kale chips, with Lacinato kale (aka Dinasour kale). They were okay, a bit underwhelming, so I haven't made them again.   

You can saut? kale as well, I do this in the winter. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you find a good kale chip recipe...those are amazing! Great for if you have a nice stock of kale you need to use 

image image  image  image

• Options

imagesecondaryPULSE:
    My understanding with kale is that is must be heated to make the vitamins more bio available. We just saute it with garlic and butter. In the last minute we squeeze a little fresh lemon or lime juice into it. Tonight we sauteed it with zucchini and a little bit of Moroccan seasoning mix. It was delish. I've never made kale chips.

That sounds good!  I'm pretty sure we'll be getting more zucchini from the farm this week too.  DH really dislikes the texture of sauteed spinach, so I fear that he wouldn't like sauteed kale, either.   Tongue Tied

Thanks for all the ideas and tips, everyone!

• Options
    mgm84mgm84 member
    I like to steam it or bake it.  I like to use some salt, pepper, ginger, soy sauce, and a drop of oil.  Be careful not to overcook it.  I am shocked some people mentioned butter - I would never do that!  However, tonight, I tried a tahini and carrot kale salad and it was pretty good.  Kale is so good for you and yummy; I've loved it since before it was cool! ;)

Lilypie - (eoyh)

• Options

I adore kale.  I probably use it once a week.  My thoughts are that it can be used for anything you would use spinach in, so soups, pasta, salads, etc.

We had a massaged kale Greek salad for dinner last week with grilled chicken.  I've cooked it with beans and garlic and served it in tacos.  I've caramelized it with onions and tossed it with penne.

My husband eats it no problem, but my son isn't a big fan of leafy vegetables right now.  The two ways he will eat kale is in quiche or cooked onto pizza.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I actually like kale better than spinach. Like PP, saut?ed with butter and a little garlic. Saut?ed with onions and summer squash and topped with fried eggs for breakfast. Add it to taco meat.

If you are doing kale chips, I have found that they turn out much better if I use the dehydrator. Just use very little salt, it doesn't take much (and I like salt).  Also, they don't keep we'll, so only make as much as you can eat then. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemgm84:
    I like to steam it or bake it.  I like to use some salt, pepper, ginger, soy sauce, and a drop of oil.  Be careful not to overcook it.  I am shocked some people mentioned butter - I would never do that!  However, tonight, I tried a tahini and carrot kale salad and it was pretty good.  Kale is so good for you and yummy; I've loved it since before it was cool! ;)

why no butter? 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If the chips didn't crisp up really well, try using less olive oil. I spritz it on with an oil mister, apply seasonings, and bake 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees. Also, kale is wonderful with white beans! This is the recipe I've used the most:

https://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/white-beans-greans.php

Prior to pregnancy, I would add a splash of balsamic vinegar to the pan at the end. Delicious!

• Options
    imagejlmckenzie:

Prior to pregnancy, I would add a splash of balsamic vinegar to the pan at the end. Delicious!

Why only prior to pregnancy?  What's wrong with balsamic?  Or do you just have an aversion to it?

I'm also curious about the no butter thing.

Thank you guys for all of these ideas!  We actually did not get any more kale in our CSA basket this week, but I'm definitely going to be buying it more often now that I have all these great options for it!  And now that I know DH has such an awesome kale soup recipe!

• Options

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
    BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
    BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

• Options
    jlmckenziejlmckenzie member
    edited July 2013
    image jlmckenzie:

Why only prior to pregnancy?  What's wrong with balsamic?  Or do you just have an aversion to it?

Thank you guys for all of these ideas!  We actually did not get any more kale in our CSA basket this week, but I'm definitely going to be buying it more often now that I have all these great options for it!  And now that I know DH has such an awesome kale soup recipe!

Sorry, I disappeared for like a week & missed your question.. Some balsamic vinegar contains lead, and as they don't disclose it on the label - I'm just eliminating it from my diet along with the wine, sushi and everything else lovely in this world, lol.

https://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/news/lead-in-vinegar

• Options
    image jlmckenzie:

Sorry, I disappeared for like a week & missed your question.. Some balsamic vinegar contains lead, and as they don't disclose it on the label - I'm just eliminating it from my diet along with the wine, sushi and everything else lovely in this world, lol.

https://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/news/lead-in-vinegar

Wow, I never knew that!  Thanks for sharing.  Luckily, I buy cheap balsamics, so I should be good.  LOL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"