Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

baby has given herself a new bed time.......

My DD just turned 6 months... since she was 6 weeks old she has gone to bed around 11-12. But about two weeks ago she has chosen to nap at that time and go to sleep between 4-5am. Nothing in our day or her schedule has change to give her and reason to stay up so late. My hubby has always worked nights, so staying up late has always been our thing. But it's getting crazy and cutting into the hubby and i's alone time. Any one have any advice.....?????

Re: baby has given herself a new bed time.......

• Options
    Is she overly tired by then? Have you tried putting her to bed earlier? Is she just having a wake up at 4 or 5 to eat now? I'm kind of confused by you saying she's napping at that time instead of going to bed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    =Lee=B=Lee=B member

How long is the 11pm nap?  How much total sleep is baby getting in a 24hr period?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11GHo4keUb2TVJUlSL1kD6HQcEgaNFBmzoQoOzcpcyas/edit?hl=en&authkey=CPXE1bsO&pli=1#

At 6 months he should be getting about 14.5 hrs of sleep total.  I guess if he's getting that much sleep and you don't mind him being up until 4am it's not a problem but if he's not getting that much sleep then I would start to make changes.

My 4.5 month old still goes to bed at 6:30pm (she chose this time 3 months ago) even if she wakes up at 5:45 she goes to bed at 6:30.  If she misses that time she is quickly over tired and very hard to get to sleep...she seems perfectly happy but she is over tired and impossible to get to sleep. She wakes at 6:30am (but wakes for quick feeds in night) she then has a nap after 30-45min of awake time.  My daughter still sleeps 16-17+ hours in a 24hr period. She cries for 20-30minutes total in a 24 hr period on a bad day (5-10min on a good day).

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    =Lee=B=Lee=B member
    By the way...that was a completely random sleep chart I came across...I believe it was from some pediatric sleep study and while I don't really follow it I use it as a brief guideline to make sure my little one is getting enough sleep.

• Options
    As pp said, get a bedtime routine in place and try to move up the time you start it by 15 minutes every few days until bed time is back where it should be. It's weird that this just suddenly happened, but I don't think you can easily revert back to how it used to be. I see it this way - let's say you're on vacation and get in the habit of going to sleep late and waking up late - once it's time to go back to work, you just aren't tired at your usual time. 

GL and I hope this gets fixed soon!

TTC 17 months, Dx: MFI (morph = 1,) Endo. Surprise BFP after HSG!
  • Options
    i think the total sleep time is important to know and what is the largest block of sleep like? like when she went to bed at 11pm what time did she wake up for the day?   for example our LO gets about 11 hours sleep at night then during the day naps 4-5 total hours to equal 16 hours sleep a day.  we put our LO to sleep at 8pm and he doesn't wake up for the day until 6 or 7am (with 1-2 wake ups to feed at 2am & 5am).  even after he wakes up for the day at 7am he goes back down for his first nap at 8:30am and sleeps for another hour.  

bedtime routine is also important.  even if its something really simple like changing them into PJs and putting soothing music on like the same song every night at the same time so that they start to associate it with sleep.  

i agree with the other comments that an over tired baby is harder to put to sleep then a well slept baby.    
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"