January 2013 Moms
Options

Pumping on the plane

I have 5.5 hour roundtrip direct flights next weekend without DS. The airport is 90 min away from my house, and I think I'll have no choice but to pump on the plane itself. Anyone have experience with this and tips they can share? I have window seats for both flights but I think I'd much prefer pumping in the bathroom... I'm flying alone so not like I'll have DH to sit in the middle seat as a buffer. Do I give the flight attendants a heads-up? How has it gone for you?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Pumping on the plane

• Options
    kat9erkat9er member
    I pumped on a plane two weeks ago and I gave the flight attendants a heads up. I kept picturing that they'd be concerned that I was in there too long and knock on the door to see if I was ok! Lol... I didn't want to have to explain what I was doing through the bathroom door while I was pumping - so I opted to just tell them what I'd be up to. The flight attendants were two women and they were very understanding. I told them I'd try to only be 15 minutes. It was a little challenging with limited space, but it helped that I had everything set up in my bag and just had to pull it out.
  • Options
    Do you have a battery pack? I do not, and I was unable to pump on the plane when I needed to (smaller aircraft, no outlet in the restroom).  But when I asked the attendant, she apologized that there was no outlet, but her demeanor when I asked was very understanding, like I doubt I was the first person to ever ask her about pumping on the plane.  (My flights were less than 2 hours, so I was okay, it just would have been nice to knock it out during the down-time mid air)
    Family restrooms in airports were my friend, though they are not always easy to find, and never close to my gate.  

a friend of a friend has a blog about her pumping while traveling, she kept it up for a year with her very frequent air time for her job. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks all.

I could try to pump in the airport right before and after, but I guess I'm nervous about missing my flight by cutting it too close. Plus, I figure I at least get more privacy in the plane bathroom than a public restroom at the airport.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I BFed in the bathroom and was in there for like 15 minutes on one of my flights, it was NBD. I would let them know though if you go in to pump though just because the sound of the pump might be alarming if they aren't expecting noise.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"