Working Moms
Options

breast pump advice

I want to order my breast pump now that I'm about 2 months away from my EDD, so I'd love some advice from you ladies who have BTDT.  My insurance covers 100% of a Medela Pump in Style Advanced or for $125 I can get a Medela Freestyle.  Any thoughts on one vs the other?

For reference:  I hope to BF/pump until LO is a year old, and I go back to work when the baby is 10-11ish weeks.  I commute to my office by train about an hour each way.  And I will be pumping in my office's conference room (there are outlets in there and couches to sit on).
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: breast pump advice

• Options
    aglennaglenn member
    I used the Freestyle and it was perfect for my needs, but the portability was key for me.  I take a crowded bus to and from work and also have offsite client meetings a lot, so my pump got toted all around to places where I might or might not have power, etc.  If your schedule is more predictable you would probably be fine with the cheaper PISA option.  It's a great pump as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've got the PISA and it came with a battery pack so I have been able to use it on a plane and in the car when necessary.  We're 11 months in and still going.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto the PISA - I've pumped on planes, in bathrooms, in the car - I haven't had any issues with it and it's easy to carry over the shoulder, and fits plenty of stuff in the bag itself.
  • Options
    I have the free style, and I was unhappy with the strength- I ended parenting a hospital pump to use at home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    PISA, all the way.
  • Options
    I use a PISA and love it. I bring it back and forth to work with me everyday and it's not so difficult to carry around - I have the bag with shoulder straps. I haven't had to use the battery pack yet but I like that there is that option. I have used it to pump in the car, but my car has a regular outlet in it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've had both, and I prefer the PISA only because my freestyle lost suction after about 6 months.  I used it to pump 2-4 times per day during the week, and after awhile I noticed I wasn't getting as much milk.  I thought it was my supply, but I pulled out my PISA and my supply went right back up.  I did get the freestyle when it first came out a few years ago, so maybe that has been improved with newer models.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    I was undecided between those two pumps as well. I went with Pisa based on multiple amazon reviews from people who had used both and felt the Pisa had superior suction. I've been very happy. I take the pump out of the giant black bag and put it in a smaller tote when I travel.
    BFP #1: 2/14/11. EDD: 10/20/11. Missed m/c discovered in April at 12 weeks, d&c. BFP #2: 12/27/11. EDD: 9/9/2012.
  • Options
    I have a PISA and a hands-free bra thingy which is pretty much a requirement (holding both there is just a giant PITA).
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    I've got the PISA and it came with a battery pack so I have been able to use it on a plane and in the car when necessary.  We're 11 months in and still going.
    This.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Love my freestyle because I can pump while I do other things like make my lunch and load the dishwasher in the morning before I leave while wearing the pump on my waist band and the strapless pumping bra.  I bought it a year ago and it still works great.  I also love that I can easily use it in the car without worry about losing power or needing the special plug in for power in the car.  I have also pumped at work meetings when there is no outlet available. :)
  • Options
    Love my freestyle because I can pump while I do other things like make my lunch and load the dishwasher in the morning before I leave while wearing the pump on my waist band and the strapless pumping bra.  I bought it a year ago and it still works great.  I also love that I can easily use it in the car without worry about losing power or needing the special plug in for power in the car.  I have also pumped at work meetings when there is no outlet available. :)
    Pretty much the same reasons I loved my Freestyle. Pumped from 8 weeks to 1 year full time w/o any issues. I also loved that it fits into my bike bag (as I commute to work by bike sometimes).
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice!  It's so hard to know when I've never done this before so I appreciate the feedback.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I use a PISA and love it. I bring it back and forth to work with me everyday and it's not so difficult to carry around - I have the bag with shoulder straps. I haven't had to use the battery pack yet but I like that there is that option. I have used it to pump in the car, but my car has a regular outlet in it.
    This. I also bought the adapter to plug into the cig. lighter for my car and pump on the way to work.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"