Georgia Babies
Options

Itchy scalp

Looking for help!  Emma has been complaining (and scratching NONSTOP) of her head and back of her neck itching.  I have checked for everything and I can find absolutely nothing to explain it.  No lice, or evidence of any kind of bug bite, we've checked for bed bugs, I'm using ALL free and clear detergent, she had been using the same soap and shampoo as always but I've also tried a tea tree shampoo to see if that would help.  I've tried Benedryl, hydrocortizone cream and baby powder (thinking maybe it was heat?) but nothing has helped or worked at all.  There is nothing on her scalp, it's not even red.  The only place where it's red are claw marks on the back of her neck where she scratches it in her sleep.  I cannot figure for the life of me what might be going on.  

Should I take her to to doctor?  It seems silly to take her to the pediatrician for an itchy head but I don't really know what else to do??  Any advice?!

Re: Itchy scalp

• Options

Does she blow dry her hair or let it air dry?  When I was young, I had an itchy spot right at the base of my neck on the back of my head.  Drove me crazy.  My mom mentioned it when I was in for a sick visit and the Dr looked but couldn't really see anything.  Asked if I went to bed with wet hair and sure enough, it was usually damp when I went to sleep.  It was actually some sort of fungal infection!  He gave me a prescription cream and it cleared right up.  Since then, I've always made sure that my hair was completely dry before going to sleep.  May be worth a call to your pedi.

• Options
    We had a similar issue--no too much scratching but more like a cradle cap-like rash on her scalp a few months ago and they prescribed an antifungal shampoo that worked like a charm.  I felt silly bringing it up but the pedi immediately said "I can give you something for that" and said that they don't know why but a lot of kid scalp issues have a fungal component.  What she prescribed is a stronger version of Nizoral shampoo that you can get over the counter.  The prescription shampoo was only $5 and it started working from the first shampoo.  Now we only use it as needed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    K&P414K&P414 member

Does she blow dry her hair or let it air dry?  When I was young, I had an itchy spot right at the base of my neck on the back of my head.  Drove me crazy.  My mom mentioned it when I was in for a sick visit and the Dr looked but couldn't really see anything.  Asked if I went to bed with wet hair and sure enough, it was usually damp when I went to sleep.  It was actually some sort of fungal infection!  He gave me a prescription cream and it cleared right up.  Since then, I've always made sure that my hair was completely dry before going to sleep.  May be worth a call to your pedi.

That's actually a great point! She does usually go to bed with damp hair, and I'm sure she did at camp. I think I'm going to take her in. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"