Illinois Babies
Options

Live in western suburbs but work in the city

We live in the western suburbs but both work in the city - does anybody have any recommendations for how to handle child care? Is finding a daycare in the suburbs the way to go? Or somewhere downtown? A nanny? Would love to hear what anyone else does. Thanks!

Re: Live in western suburbs but work in the city

• Options
    I am expecting my 1st but a woman I use to work for has a 6year old and a newborn. If you have the money to spend I suggest a au pair. She's a live in babysitter from another country that exclusively is there to help with the children/baby. They usually are paid an hourly or salary wage and live with you. It seems to be the absolute best option. You lay down ground rules for the au pair meaning no friends in the house or here is a daily checklist of what to do for activities with the baby. They usually sign a contract with the agency they work for. It's usually a set amount of time like a year or so then off to the next family for them.
  • Options

I'm a FTM, but my plan, for what we can afford, is daycare in the burbs near our home. There's a Metra stop close to the daycare I've chosen. So, I can drop my son off in the morning, hop on the train to downtown, then pick him up in the afternoon and head home. The daycare is about 10 minutes from my house.

Side note: Daycare is expensive in the burbs - my guess is that it is probably even more expensive in the city.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm in the same situation. I live in Lombard and have a nanny lined up for January, but I'm open to a nanny share opportunity if you're interested. My email is mgarcea1@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the thoughts! We won't need anything until early next summer, so we've got some time to figure it out, but it's great to at least have a few ideas to start with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"