Military Families

NH Camp Lej. -vacs

So with my son, I just  went with the standard...whatever the hospital recommended. This second time around I've done some more research and am hoping to be a little more selective.... namely skipping out on the vit K injection, immediate hep B vac, eye goo... Anyone ever have success being a little more natural at a naval hospital? Lejeune's reaction would be even more helpful :-) Curious to know what I'll be up against.

TIA!

Re: NH Camp Lej. -vacs

• LhztihLhztih member
    At Balboa in San Diego I remember them asking both my husband and me about the hep B, but I do not remember them asking about the others.
  • Hopefully you'll be up against MDs whose research consists of medical school, peer reviewed medical research, etc. not the internet.
    I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.
  • Loading the player...
  • Bexx24Bexx24 member

I'm not entirely certain what you're trying to say there, but it sure sounds rather judgy. Thanks?

• Yeah, it was supposed to. I judge people who think they're smarter than the entire medical community.
    I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.
  • Yeah, it was supposed to. I judge people who think they're smarter than the entire medical community.
    :::applause:::

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Well the entire medical community cannot agree on anything. You always have different perspectives and positives and negatives to weigh with each decision we make. Especially regarding our children. A+ for her trying to educate herself on what the "medical community" is recommending and what it all means for her child and shame on anyone who judges anyone else for trying to make the informed decision, whatever that may be. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I wonder if her doctors got A+s in immunology? More likely than getting an A+ in internet vaccine research. 
  • Web MD should be banned from public use...from one medical provider to another...oh, wait, you're not one. I would ask your primary care DOCTOR/PA/NP what he/she recommends for your little one.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Riiiiiiight, that's true, I did get all my info from the online shaman at my hippy commune. How did you know. After all, there isn't a single other reliable source in the world available. I better just go blindedly on the word of doctors who's medical training could date 20+ years.

I'm sorry, so you take everything anyone says at just face value and go for it just because they have official looking papers and a nice title, some letters behind their name? Good for you. I tend to look into the things that get injected into my kid's body first.

The United States has one the highest infant mortality rates of any of the modern industrialized country. Didn't even make the top FIVE best countries to have a baby in list. Yeah, When that number goes down a bit I'll consider the medical community the gods you folks do.

Until then, less with the judgey please. you go your way and I'll go mine.

• Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    edited August 2013
    I take what a doctor says seriously because they are well trained and required to complete new and updated training in their specialty every time they renew their license. In most states that is every 2 years. Besides that, you are going to find random crap on the Internet to support or refute your stance that could, worst case scenario get your kid killed. If you look hard enough you can find evidence to support your claim or tell you it's totally bogus. Are you using medical journals? I'm not even going to ask if your expert research spelled out how these deaths were occurring because you need to realize over 90% of the infant deaths I've seen we're shaken baby, sexual abuse, congenital defects, etc., not dying suddenly because some vaccine killed them. In the end the answer is, you can refuse whatever you want but, just because you think you've done perfect research, that's not necessarily the case. Research can get you just as fouled up as taking a doctor's word for it. Do just as stupid as you think we are...

ETA: May I also point out how judgey you are being? Pot calling the kettle black much? I'll stop judging when you do. Thanks
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • from a nurse's point of view (not one at the naval hospital though)

the "eye goo" is standard for every baby born---its my understanding that it is law that we give them that

vitamin K you don't have to have consent from the parents to give, but hep b you do have to have consent and as a parent you can refuse hep b

• I refused the hep B. We went aheD with the vitamin K. We delayed the eye goo for a couple of hours mostly so that our son wasn't seeing this new world in a blur. We didn't have any problems having our wishes carried out.
  • I delivered both of my children at CLNH. One being the biggest baby born there in 2009. IMO, they are not "hippie" friendly. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"