Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Traveling w Inlaws -FTM advice please

Good morning!
(XP in May moms)

Tomorrow I'm about to make a 5 hour trip with my 9 week EBF son and my in laws. Im assuming the trip will probably be more along the lines of 7 hours with stopping to stretch/breastfeed. I'm also assuming LO will get fussy (fingers crossed but I'm trying to be realistic!)

Just looking for any tips, tricks or advice. I'm pretty nervous but really hopeful I can make this trip. My mom it at our destination and I cannot wait for her and my brother to see LO!

Any and all advice for travel is greatly welcomed and appreciated!!

TIA and kindest regards!

Re: Traveling w Inlaws -FTM advice please

• Options
    All I can say is GOOD LUCK!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MrsWindyCityMrsWindyCity member
    edited July 2013
    Honestly, this is the best time to take a road trip because your DS will probably sleep through  most of it. :) At least, that was our experience with DS1.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did this when DS1 was 8 weeks old.  I rode in the backseat with him.  I may get flamed for this, but there were times when I would take him out of his seat while going down the road.  But, it would literally be for five minutes, at the most.  It was usually to try burping him again.  Make sure you have a clear space either in the trunk or the back seat to change his diaper.  Take some plastic grocery bags to keep in the back as trash bags, and use them for dirty wipes and diapers.  Also, a sunshade on his window is very helpful.  Keep a change of clothes nearby for LO, as well.  DS1 got a little car sick and spit up all in his seat right before we got to our destination.  Fun!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

Schedule the time you are going to leave (if possible) right before his typical longest stretch of sleep and feed him right before you leave.  So for example, my DS typically sleeps 4-6 hours starting at about 9pm.  So that is when I would leave. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We just did five hours this weekend. We stopped twice on the way there. DD usually cluster feeds in the evening and woke up the second time when we had to stop for DS to pee. I'm pretty sure without that stop she would have slept the whole second half. We only stopped once on the way home.

For the most part, expect the baby to just sleep. So easy compared to a bored 3 year old!
  • Options

Honestly, this is the best time to take a road trip because your DS will probably sleep through  most of it. :) At least, that was our experience with DS1.

Totally agree. We do 5 hour trips regularly and the more awake they are but unable to entertain themselves, the harder it is.

• Options
    I made a 5 hour trip when G was 5 weeks and it went great. My biggest problem was that when he wasn't in the car G was nursing almost constantly, so to keep my supply
    Up I pumped in the front seat with a car adaptor. Then for one of his feedings I sat in the backseat and have him a pumped bottle. It worked out great!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"