Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

9 MONTH OLD TABLEFOODS

I am having a bit of trouble with my 9 month old during feedings. When she first began to eat Stage 1 and 2 foods, she ate them great and then when she began Stage 3, she was good in the beginning then after a while, she no longer seemed interested in the foods. Whenever she felt/feels actual pieces of food on her tongue, she would literally stick her tongue out and try to take out the food with her hands. Other than that, if she can't I have her drink water to help the food go down. The doctor recommended going back to Stage 2 (which is my mom recommended also) as she needs to eat and can't only depend on formula as her main source of nutrition. I began to puree foods for her at home. I sometime puree the Gerber Graduate toddler meals and she began to eat these well. Each time I fed her STage 3, she would always turn away and never ate them. I was feeling horrible and frustrated at the same time when she never wanted to eat. But now, I feel like I'm going through this all over again. I puree her foods such as carrots, chicken, banana, potatoes, rice and sometime she will eat it but sometimes she won't. I admit, not all foods get pureed to a smooth texture as some foods get pureed to the point where there are small pieces (small enough for her to swallow) but I think she is just scared of these textured foods feeling the small chunks in her mouth. I just don't know what to do and feel like a bad parent at times. I just would like any suggestions/advice. She is a growing baby and not sure if I am the only one going through this or if anyone else has this same issue or similar. Sometimes when she swallows the tiniest piece of food, she would begin to cough and gag (but she doesn't throw up). 

Also, is it ok to start feeding her eggs and yogurt? She hasn't had no allergies with anything I have given her so far. It's usually a struggle when it comes to feeding time. Sometimes she will eat all her food and sometimes she won't and then I would proceed to give her desert, (which she usually would finish). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: 9 MONTH OLD TABLEFOODS

• Options
    At 9 months, my LO couldn't eat stage 3 foods either and he wasn't eating much table food at all then.  He was just doing all stage 2 foods and fruits.  I started doing more and more table foods, like small bits of whatever we're having for dinner, between 10 to 12 months.  He's only just now eating stage 3 foods no problem.  It sounds like you are right on track.  Just go slow and if she's not interested in something, try again another time.

At my LO's 9 month appointment, his doc said he could have anything except honey and whole milk.  Yogurt is definitely fine.  Eggs are usually fine but you might ask at the doc at your next appointment.  My LO has had eggs no problem. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Dee719Dee719 member
    Thank you so much for your prompt reply and glad to know I am not the only one going through this. I have tried going back to Stage 2, hoping this would work, but she wasn't going for it. This is when I began to think that maybe she was tired of the flavors (as Stage 3 foods usually taste similar to each other). When she didn't want to try Stage 2 again, I began to puree her foods at home, adding a bit of seasoning for flavor, which sometimes helps. Now, I'm glad she's eating something as she wasn't interested in nothing at all before. She just won't much. Sometimes she will eat it all and sometimes she will half or less than half, just depends. I still give her desert afterward. I am not sure if your baby was the same at 9 months also with sleep, but mine still wakes up at night, about every 4 hours or so for a bottle. Sometimes, I will just pat her back to sleep without the bottle but if I see she is having trouble falling back to sleep, then I will give in and give her the bottle. Her dr. says she still wakes up at night b/c she is not full, which is why I worry about her feedings. With my son, he was sleeping all night at 3 months and with my little girl, I am not so lucky. I just want her to be on the right track with her feedings and her weight. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It took a while for my LO to get used to the stage 3 foods. We stayed away from the meat and pasta ones, and stuck with flavors he knew like the fruit and vegetable ones. Once he got used to those we added in chicken and vegetables and the ones with rice and pasta. Now he loves them! Have you tried finger food yet? He loves to eat bread, bananas, pieces of bagels, turkey, pancakes, and carrots on his own. He loves picking up the food and eating himself. I know our pedi wanted us to stay away from eggs until he's one, and he can't have yogurt yet as he has a milk allergy, but if your doctor gives you the ok then I don't see why not.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Dee719Dee719 member
    Yes, I do give her finger foods. She eats the Gerber Puffs and I do give her pieces of whatever I am eating. However, she has not yet grasped the concept of picking up with her fingers yet, as she still  grabs pieces of food with her whole hand. I was also concerned with her eating habits, if she didn't pick up on eating solids/table foods by certain time frame, if this would delay her. But every child is different and they know when they are ready. I do give her the meat/pasta Gerber toddler meals; i just puree them for her. 
  • Options
    Dee719Dee719 member
    edited July 2013
  • Options
    Dee719Dee719 member
    edited July 2013
  • Options
    Dee719Dee719 member
    edited July 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards