Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Probably dumb questions

I miscarried around 2am Saturday morning.  I went to the ER on Friday and was informed of the bad news. I'm doing okay, keeping busy with cleaning the house and started doing some remodeling projects that I've been putting off because I was pregnant.  I was told to contact my doctor on Monday and do a follow up with him, but I have some weird/dumb questions.  I was reading on the american pregnancy website about miscarriages obviously not what I wanted to read about but it said not to go in swimming pools, take baths, have sex and ect.  Has anyone's MD told them not to get in a pool or take a bath after a miscarriage?  I understand not have sex.  One more question has anyone used tampons after passing the fetal tissue and sac?  I hate pads(diapers) and feel disgusting when wearing them.  I know I'll probably ask my doctor these questions, I just wanted to get some input from you.  Thanks!

Also, is it wrong that I didn't take anytime off work? 

Re: Probably dumb questions

• Options
    The reason you shouldn't submerge in water or use tampons etc is because your cervix dialated to allow the tissue to pass. When your cervix is open it makes you more vulnerable to getting an infection. I would try to avoid any of the things you mentioned for at least 2 weeks including sex. That is what was recommended by my doctor. Hope that helps! Hoping you recover quickly.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BFP 4/17/13, MC began 5/2/13 @ 6 weeks
    EDD 12/27/13
    TTC since 2/2013
    BFP#2 9/23/13 EDD 6/8/14

My FF Chart

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I was told that you cannot have sex for at least 2 weeks after a miscarriage and you shouldn't use tampons either. I wasn't aware of the bath/swimming thing, but I kind of had a feeling that this could cause an infection so I never did this either. The way I see it - better safe than sorry!

BFP 06/05/2013 | EDD 02/10/2014 | D&C 07/12/2013
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The reason you shouldn't submerge in water or use tampons etc is because your cervix dialated to allow the tissue to pass. When your cervix is open it makes you more vulnerable to getting an infection. I would try to avoid any of the things you mentioned for at least 2 weeks including sex. That is what was recommended by my doctor. Hope that helps! Hoping you recover quickly.

All of this. If it's any consolation at all...and I'm pretty sure it's not....you get used to the pads after a few days or so. Hugs to you as you go through this

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP 5/19/2013. MC 7/2/2013 (9w6d) with est. loss at 8w. Miso 7/3/2013 and emergency D & C 7/6/2013.

BFP#2 11/6/2013.  CP 11/14/2013.  

BFP #3 12/13/2013.  Beta #1 @ 15dpo- 239. Progesterone 27.  Beta #2 @17dpo - 90.  CP 12/21/2013

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  -Philippians 4:6-7

All PgAL and PAL welcome.

• Options
    Deffinitly no sex and tampons! My ob said no pool or swim but I don't remember anything about the baths....I'm sorry for your loss......if u don't feel the need to take time off of work u don't need to everyone grieves differently...but it would be good for mind body and soul maybe a couple days off

We r all here for if u need us good luck with dr mon
  • Options
    I am going through same now and my doctor specifically said no sex or tampons because of potential for infection. He never said no swimming, but since you have to wear pads, you really can't anyway. I just said to my husband how much I hate pads. I had to go to a baptism today while dealing with the emotional loss and then wearing a disgusting pad and feeling the grossness. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    DS 8/11/97 DS 12/02/98 DS 1/21/10 M/C 7/25/13 BFP 10/6/2013 Due date 6/17/14
  • Options
    I am going jet skiing tomorrow with family and plan to wear running shorts the entire day. I am really nervous because my family will know something is up. I love going to the lake but the water is dirty and I don't think it is worth the risk of getting in. I did not tell them about the pregnancy or miscarriage.
  • Options
    I am truly sorry for your loss.  Yes, no tampons, swimming pools or sex because of infection that is was what my doctor said.  I did not take anytime off of work-- I took miso on a Sat and went to work on Monday. I did cancel a work trip though as I was suppose to fly on that Monday but there was no way I was comfortable flying that soon after it.  I cannot stand pads as either, I had to wear white pants this last weekend (long story) and I was terrified that I was going to leak, luckily all was well. Best of luck with the Dr. on Monday.  I found it best to write down all my questions ahead of time because it was emotional for me to go in and I tend to forget the questions when I get emotional.   
    1st BFP 6/12/13, EDD 2/24/14,  blightum ovum diagnosis 7/17/13
    2nd BFP 9/20/13, EDD 6/1/14 -- hoping for our sticky baby!

• Options
    Sorry for your loss. I had asked my doctor specifically about swimming and he said no. I also despise wearing pads and asked how soon I could switch to tampons, however the doctor also said not until my next period. Once the bleeding lightens up I found it helps to switch to panty liners as soon as you feel comfortable to do so. They feel less like a diaper, and you have less of that icky feeling.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Anniversary

TTC Since 04/01/13 

BFP #1 04/28/13 Its twins! EDD 01/08/2014 MMC confirmed 06/27/13 D&C 07/17/13

BFP#2 05/19/14 EDD 01/30/2015 Please be our rainbow!

My Ovulation Chart

*~*~* All AL Welcome*~*~*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"