Parenting after a Loss
Options

Hind milk/fore milk imbalance?

JulyMomma2U2JulyMomma2U2 member
edited July 2013 in Parenting after a Loss
I think we are having imbalance issues... DS has very watery, explosive green poop after every feed.. This morning I think I saw a tiny trace of blood in it. He never is able to completely empty a breast.. Even after 30 min of nursing, I can still hand express what looks like fore milk.. It's only in the evening when I think I'm empty enough that he's getting the hind milk.. I was going to try starting off the day pumping for 10 or so minutes to get the excess fore milk out, but not sure if that will screw up my supply? I definitely dont need to be producing any more.. Also, if I do pump the fore milk .. Should I keep the milk, or discard? If I'm pumping just fore milk, I feel like keeping it will only give this problem again down the road when I use my frozen stash.. What do you think? ETA I know dairy could also be a culprit.. Wanted to try fixing the fore milk issue first and if that doesn't help, will eliminate dairy.. Also ave a ped appointment in 2 weeks and will discuss then, too..
Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog about raising 2U2!

Re: Hind milk/fore milk imbalance?

• Options
    I'm interested to hear the responses to this too!  The only advice I have is for you NOT to pump 10 minutes.  This will definitely mess up your supply and I don't think it guarantees your LO not getting the foremilk.  My pedi did have me pump for about a min or two when I was having latch issues due to engorgement and I discarded that milk because I could tell it was only foremilk and used the same reasoning you have about perpetuating the problem. 

TTC #1 since 5/2010 dx: annovulatory 

RLP: 2/2012: normal HSG 3/2012: normal

BFP #1 7/20/11 M/C 7/25/11. BFP #2 11/29/11 M/C 12/21/11

I have two angel babies that I will see again one day

BFP #3 10/27/12 EDD: 7/6/13

Baby Emma arrived at 35 weeks by surprise on June 3rd, 2013!!

BFP #4: 5/23/14 EDD: 1/30/15  Emma's gonna be a big sister!

Beta #1 19DPO: 213 Beta #2 21DPO: 674

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    krwactkrwact member
    I'm not sure about fore/hind milk balance.  I've heard that your milk's composition changes throughout the day.  In the morning, you'll have a higher volume of more watery milk and towards evening, you'll have lower volume of creamier milk.  I don't know if that adds anything to your thought process.

One thought if you do pump a bit and don't want to dump it:  if you can store some in the freezer, you can use it later on for teething popsicles or for mixing into pureed food when he starts solids.
    Kim 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    krwact said:

One thought if you do pump a bit and don't want to dump it:  if you can store some in the freezer, you can use it later on for teething popsicles or for mixing into pureed food when he starts solids.
    What a great idea!!   =D>

TTC #1 since 5/2010 dx: annovulatory 

RLP: 2/2012: normal HSG 3/2012: normal

BFP #1 7/20/11 M/C 7/25/11. BFP #2 11/29/11 M/C 12/21/11

I have two angel babies that I will see again one day

BFP #3 10/27/12 EDD: 7/6/13

Baby Emma arrived at 35 weeks by surprise on June 3rd, 2013!!

BFP #4: 5/23/14 EDD: 1/30/15  Emma's gonna be a big sister!

Beta #1 19DPO: 213 Beta #2 21DPO: 674

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If you do think it is a fore/hind milk issue, kellymom has good info on block feeding and ways to correct it. Sorry on mobile and can't link it.
    This was my suggestion also. The kellymom site is a great resource.  
    DS born 2009
    BFP#2 ~ 8/2/11, EDD 4/11/12, D&C 9/12/11 at 9w5d
    BFP#3 ~ 4/15/12, EDD 12/21/12 ~ DD born 12/22/12
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You could pump first but I would only do 5min max but yes it could effect your supply. I suggest block feeding and stick with it. Your body will relearn and your milk will change over time. If you have to stop and burp to wake him up, do it as much as needed and just keep putting him on the same boob.

• Options
    I had this issue too, and block feeding fixed it. I only offered one breast for two feedings in a row and then switched sides for the next two. You'll get engorged and leak on your other side, but try not to pump so your supply can regulate. You can hand-express if you're too uncomfortable. After a week or so we were back to yellow poop, and she only ever eats on one side now. HTH!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    My Blog: One Emerald
    BFP#1: 9-13-11 EDD: 5-26-12 MMC: 11-4-11 D&C: 11-8-11
    BFP#2: 7-6-12 Elizabeth Faye ("Zuzu") born 3-21-13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"