74% 86 votes
One and a half
13% 16 votes
Already is forward facing
0% 1 vote
Car seat? What is that?
2% 3 votes

Re: When do you plan on putting your LO forward facing

• You need SS or different options. She will FF when she outgrows the limits for RF.
    Ditto. My 2yo DD is still RF. She's tiny, and the seat max for RF is 40lbs, so she's probably going to be RFing at like age 13. 

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Loading the player...
  • You need SS or different options. She will FF when she outgrows the limits for RF.
    I agree.

I'm hoping we'll rear-face until he's 4 years old, and short of him outgrowing the limits, that's what we'll be doing.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
    partial molar pregnancy : bfp 6.28.10, d/c 8.17.10, 7 rounds methotrexate, cleared 7.1.11
    alexander patrick : bfp 1.16.12, born 9.20.12 @ 39w1d, 7 lbs./11 oz./22 in.
    scarlett irene elizabeth : bfp 5.24.13, born 2.3.14 @ 41w2d, 7 lbs./13 oz./19 in.
  • We made it 16 months rfing with ds until he became a screaming hot mess on every.single.car ride. I plan on rfing dd until she does the same.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm PLANNING on 2 years, but most mamas I've talked to have switched around 18 months, so I'm realize that may not happen.
  • I plan on until at least 2 years. I also planned the same for DD but we ended up switching her around 18 months after she started freaking the eff out during every car ride. 
  • With DS1 we switched him when he was 1, this was before the standard was changed to 2 years. I will FF DS2 when I feel like he is getting too scrunched. I'm thinking maybe 1.5?

• I didn't put that option because my seat says they can rf until 40lbs but they also can ff at 20 lbs and she's been at 20lbs since 9months so I was curious if others were planning it more by age since there is such a wide range
  • jcieply said:

I didn't put that option because my seat says they can rf until 40lbs but they also can ff at 20 lbs and she's been at 20lbs since 9months so I was curious if others were planning it more by age since there is such a wide range

My kid was 20lbs. by 6 months. Research proves that it is 500% safer to keep them rear facing as long as possible.
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • jcieply said:

I didn't put that option because my seat says they can rf until 40lbs but they also can ff at 20 lbs and she's been at 20lbs since 9months so I was curious if others were planning it more by age since there is such a wide range

My kid was 20lbs. by 6 months. Research proves that it is 500% safer to keep them rear facing as long as possible.
    I agree with Kellers. We have a Diono Radian RXT and plan to rf as long as possible.
  • We turned DS1 at 1 before the AAP recommendation changed to 2.  We turned DD at 2 and will change DS2 at 2.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• We bought the Clek Foonf so we can RF as long as possible.  2 would the be the minimum age I would consider turning her, but I hope to RF her until at least 3. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I choose SS! She will RF until she can't RF anymore!!

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I didn't put that option because my seat says they can rf until 40lbs but they also can ff at 20 lbs and she's been at 20lbs since 9months so I was curious if others were planning it more by age since there is such a wide range
    This. Lil will rear face until she outgrows the rear-facing limits of her seat. I bought the Radian as well so we have a while.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • We are in Canada, not the States so keep that in mind.

We will turn her right before baby #4 arrives. This is because we have to move her car seat to behind the driver, in order to put the baby bucket behind the passenger. And when she's behind the driver, only FF seats can fit, otherwise DH can't fit in the drivers seat.

Again, in Canada, she will still reach the minimums by this point (above 20lbs and 1 year old), so I feel okay doing this by 14 months old.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I'm with all the ladies who said RF until the seat won't allow him to RF. 

• We'll FF him when he outgrows the seat limits. My two olders outgrew height requirements and he'll probably turn for the same reason.
    BFP #1 10/28/09 EDD 06/24/10- Miscarriage 11/2/09
    BFP #2 11/30/09 EDD 08/12/10- Sophia Grace born 8/1/10
    BFP #3 11/16/10 EDD 08/04/11- Samuel Richard born 7/28/11
    BFP #4 01/04/12 EDD 09/19/12- Simon Nathaniel born 9/6/12
    BFP #5 03/27/13 EDD 11/25/13- Savannah Lee born 11/18/13
  • I found this on the manufacturer's site for our carseat:

For Use Forward-Facing Child Must Meet All These Requirements Weight: 22 - 65 lbs (10 – 29,4 kg)Height: 28 - 50 inches (71 - 127 cm)The tops of their ears are below the top of the child restraint headrest.Age: At least one year of ageSo, I was wrong in that it is 22 lbs, not 20 lbs (but she'll still hit 22 by 14m).

Also, the Governemnt of Canada's site (https://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/carseat/choose.shtml) says 20 lbs.

I do know it's safer for everyone (even us!) to be RFing but in order for DH to be able to drive, she needs to be FFing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • kbbgg said:
    Well, I'm also Canadian. I don't see how that would affect my thinking. RF is safest, bar none, so I plan to keep the boy that way until at the very minimum two years old but ideally until 35-40lbs. (Per my seat). My almost eight year old is still in a booster - because that's the safest place for her.
    Again, being Canadian just means we have different minimums for FFing. I know it's safer to RF but we will FFing when we hit these minimums.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Betty&Co said:
    Oh, Juli.
    Whhhaaaat? OP asked what we're doing and I answered. I'm not doing anything illegally, just different from you.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Same as most--RF until she hits the limits for the seat, or possibly (but hopefully not) if/when she starts flipping a shit RFing at 18 months, since this is apparently a thing? haha
  • I am hoping for 2
  • I am hoping for 2

This. Every time I've said that I will do X, LO has forced me into doing Y. I have learned to be hopeful about things instead.
    Great minds....

As long as you do what you think is right for your family, as long as you don't do this! 
  • I'm aiming for being as old as possible. I made it 22 months with ds before they extended the recommended age. Fwiw, I don't think Juliane should be given too hard a time. Not everyone can afford a new car when they have another kid. She's changing it for a valid reason.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Goal = 2 years old.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• BPerBPer member
    I plan on at least 2 years, but we also have a diono so extended RF is an option.

• I will keep them RF as long as possible. DD is 2 1/2 and she still RF in my car. DH is convinced she's uncomfortable (though she's never complained), so he has her FF in his car, but I keep it RF in mine.
  • Same as most--RF until she hits the limits for the seat, or possibly (but hopefully not) if/when she starts flipping a shit RFing at 18 months, since this is apparently a thing? haha
  • L8kissie said:

I'm aiming for being as old as possible. I made it 22 months with ds before they extended the recommended age. Fwiw, I don't think Juliane should be given too hard a time. Not everyone can afford a new car when they have another kid. She's changing it for a valid reason.

I agree about Juli. If my kid met the safety requirements and I was in that situation, I would do the same. I think she just said it in a confusing way,.

• We switched DD#1 at 1 year because like Mrs. Jenni said that was before AAP changed the recommendations so we will switch DD#2 at 2 or whenever she outgrows the RF option. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • I Want to be as diplomatic as I can about this - but we will be rear facing as long as humanly possible - hopefully until age four (we are in dionos and will on turn her if forced). 

OP - my dh could not drive with me in the car in either of our cars - so I drove.  My daughters safety is more important to me then my husband driving (honeslty we are all safer when I drive.. LOL / jk :)  )

THAT SAID - there are a LOT of smaller seats or the radian with an angle adjuster that will fit into smaller spaces.  We actually recently ended up buying two new cars and I told DH that he had to fit two rear facing seats in the car (just him and the two seats) - we got into a heated argument because here in WA State its legal to turn at 1 and 20 pounds.  He drives the baby to daycare (2 miles away) and thats really it.  I had to get off my freak out session and agree - 2 miles after 2 years (because this would only be an issue when we have a 2nd baby) - probably something I could be ok with.  (in the end the car he chose we should be able to rear face both babies with him driving and me in the passenger seat :) )

ANYWAY - do some research - https://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/  I'll spare you the link to the youtube videos where the kid was internally decapitated for being ff too early.. 
  • Wait. Why is everyone jumping on Juli!? She wasn't the only person here to say they were switching before 2 years.
    Agreed. People should jump on me, too. I will probably switch before 2. 
    I think when you have outgrown the limits of the seat - short of dropping $400 for a Fonf you get a little more ... "clearence?" - that said.. WOAH 36 pounds?  THat little guy in your sig?  My g/f had a little boy we called bam bam - sometimes I thank god for my little girl!
  • Wait. Why is everyone jumping on Juli!? She wasn't the only person here to say they were switching before 2 years.
    I didn't say anything to Juli, but I don't like how she worded her post. I think that is why everyone was commenting. "remember I am in Canada" is not a valid reason. I get the whole not fitting thing, we are pretty much a one car family now sine DH's car sucks for the passenger with a RF seat.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Betty&Co said:
    I agree with Kellers. We have a Diono Radian RXT and plan to rf as long as possible.
    Same here. As long as possible. 

• hmp1hmp1 member
    My baby is 36 lbs, and the rear facing limit is 40, so I see us changing pretty soon after his 1st birthday.
    James gained less than 4lb between his first and second birthday. Kids really slow their weight growth when they start walking/running. And like LL said, I would get a different seat before flipping a child before 18 months. Radians rear face to 45lb, that will get you to two.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"