Military Families

AF Early Retirement

I don't have all the specifics, but I know there is a small possibility of early retirement for certain career fields. Those particular career fields, according to my husband, haven't been announced yet for this year but should be shortly. He doesn't believe Meterology, what he does, will be on that short list, but we're both crossing our fingers. He has just under three years left before he can retire at 20, but it feels like an eternity.

If you or your spouse plan on retiring from the military, would you take the early retirement if it were an option? It does mean less pay, however for us, it brings about an infinity of options.

I'm just curious to see where everybody else stands on this subject.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: AF Early Retirement

• We would take it in a heartbeat but the AF is becoming critically manned with fighter pilots so there's no way an 11F code is going to be offered early retirement.
  • how much less pay. what percentage of base pay? do you get all the other benefits? my husband retires in 2 ish years. it will go by pretty quick. i know the last 2 flew by

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Loading the player...
  • My DH has 18 years in. I doubt that he would take an early retirement at this point. From his perspective, he does not have a job lined up, or even begun the search. From my perspective, we live in Germany now. We've been here for almost a year and a half and I really want to stay for another year. DH was deployed for almost a year and I want to experience Europe as a family. Our four year old attends German kindergarten. He has a good grasp of the German language, but I want him to have an even stronger base before we move home.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would!  But I think it would be a miracle if you husband got that option given what he does. Sorry.
  • I have a way to go before retirement, but as I get closer I would definitely consider it if it were available for my career field (12F), and depending on the economy and likelihood of getting a job in the civilian world.
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"