Stay at Home Moms

S/O fashion - it SUCKS to have a little girl move out of 5T and into "girls"

My DD is very thin and not super tall. At nearly 7yrs old, she just recently moved out of the little girls section (5T) and into an XS or a size 6.

Thank GOD for Carter's, Gap Kids, and Gymboree because at least their stuff doesn't have obnoxious sayings all over it and doesn't break the bank!

I ordered a few skirts and dresses from Hannah Andersson and Mini Boden. Yikes! Talk about steep prices. 

How do y'all with kids in the "big girl/boy" section afford to keep clothes on your kids' backs?!?!?

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

Re: S/O fashion - it SUCKS to have a little girl move out of 5T and into "girls"

• We are thankful to have an older cousin we get a lot of clothes from.  Granted, only shirts or dresses pass down now - but it helps.  The girls also have a Grandma who loves to shop, so they each will get 3-4 outfits a year from Grandma new and Grandma likes to go to rummage sale shop as well.  We really only buy 4-5 new outfits per year per kid.

I am not into fashion, so I will shop at Wal-Mart, Target, Children's Place - whatever is close.

Ps.  A Size 6 is a Small, 4/5 is XS.
  • DD is wearing 5s in the big girl section. Most of her clothes are Gymboree, TCP, Crazy 8, and Carters.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes!  It has been a hard transition for us as well.  A lot of the little girl clothes are so ugly and look really cheap.  DD is also very thin and I have such a hard time finding items that aren't gigantic around her waist.  I end up spending way more for her clothes now than when she was in toddler sizes.  I just really don't like a lot of the clothes at the less expensive stores. 

I agree with the Tea Collection suggestion.  They have cute stuff and it's really good quality.  They are a bit pricey too, though.  I get most of DD's clothes from J Crew, Boden, Gap, Tea Collection, and Osh Kosh. 
    Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • I agree. I have a skinny but tall 5 year old. So pants are often a disaster and so we do a lot of dresses.

In addition to what's already been suggested do you have an H&M near you? They don't have a lot of stuff online but in store they have some cute things. I've always thought the fabrics felt thin to me and never expected them to hold up but I've been surprised every single time. We've had leggings and dresses there that she's worn for more than 1 season. And they still look great. Good prices too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DS is in a boy size five. I mostly get his clothes at Kohls, Carter's, and Macy's. I don't think the boy's stuff is too bad...I can still get polo's, basic stripes, athletic style tops with just numbers, and non offensive graphic tees for a reasonable price.

I am nervous about when DD is in this size. She's in a 2T right now and I'm already disgusted by the amount of glitter, animal print, character tops, and neon colors. The pretty stuff is much more expensive!

• I don't look forward to the day we have to change over to girls clothes either. DD is tall and thin too. Finding clothes for her is very difficult already. I don't need the added difficulty of horrible fashions.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love TCP for DDs age it is modest and cut without being babyish.
  • Hav=Fath said:
    You may be one of the ladies that doesn't like anything second hand, but if you have a Once Upon a Child near you, you should check it out. They are SO particular about what they buy from people, it's only name brand, no pilling, no stains etc, it is all in such good condition. I'd check it out! 
    Our local OUAC rarely has stuff above size 5.  A lot of kids start to wear out their clothes on they get to this stage.
  • I don't really have an answer for where the prices are good, but Crewcuts is my favorite. Try shopping on their factory website and also JCrew always has good sales. I was lucky because DD doesn't grow fast, so things usually last a long time. So paying more for quality clothes works out better because they don't have to be replaced.
  • CnAmom said:
    Totally random, but I went into our Goodwill store just to have a peek and it was jam packed with designer labels. The capris I dropped way too much money on? They had a similar pair for $6. I was completely gobsmacked!
    We got a huge bag of hand-me-downs (boys stuff) from Dh's co-worker.  The whole bag was filled with only Gap, Janie & Jack, and Gymboree.  Turns out it was all thrift store/Goodwill finds!  I couldn't believe it!  All the clothing was still in great condition and had gone through at least 2 kids already when we got it.

My mom and Gram swear by Goodwill type thrift shops.  I don't have a ton of patience when it comes to picking through stuff (I don't love TJ Maxx or Marshall's either) but for those prices we do go every so often. 
    _____________________________________________________________________________

SAHM to 4 kiddos... K (5/05), N (4/09), C (11/10) and Baby A 1/13/14

• @TobeMrsShavers, my BFF has a tall and thin little girl too.  She has found the Jumping Beans line at Kohl's works well for her daughter because they tend to run a smaller in the waist. 

She also buys a lot of Carter's because they fit her daughter really well.
    _____________________________________________________________________________

SAHM to 4 kiddos... K (5/05), N (4/09), C (11/10) and Baby A 1/13/14

• I feel the same way! :)  My DD is now in 5t and I'm dreading next year.. lol.
  • KateB1984 - our local children's boutique carries an extensive line of Tea and I've never browsed through it. It's on my to do list, thank you!

@winsywade - we have a brand new Kohl's here and I will definitely check out Jumping Beans, thank you!

• Arnegard said:
    We are thankful to have an older cousin we get a lot of clothes from.  Granted, only shirts or dresses pass down now - but it helps.  The girls also have a Grandma who loves to shop, so they each will get 3-4 outfits a year from Grandma new and Grandma likes to go to rummage sale shop as well.  We really only buy 4-5 new outfits per year per kid.

I am not into fashion, so I will shop at Wal-Mart, Target, Children's Place - whatever is close.

Ps.  A Size 6 is a Small, 4/5 is XS.
    You are correct, I just looked that up. See how clueless I am?!?!?

• I agree. I have a skinny but tall 5 year old. So pants are often a disaster and so we do a lot of dresses. In addition to what's already been suggested do you have an H&M near you? They don't have a lot of stuff online but in store they have some cute things. I've always thought the fabrics felt thin to me and never expected them to hold up but I've been surprised every single time. We've had leggings and dresses there that she's worn for more than 1 season. And they still look great. Good prices too.
    Yes, I can get to 2 of them. Looks like their prices are super cheap so, I guess it justifies if they wear out quicker. Thanks!

• Hav=Fath said:
    You may be one of the ladies that doesn't like anything second hand, but if you have a Once Upon a Child near you, you should check it out. They are SO particular about what they buy from people, it's only name brand, no pilling, no stains etc, it is all in such good condition. I'd check it out! 
    Not at all, I would LOVE to have hand-me-downs but my kids is one of the oldest in my groups of friends. We have several high-end and not-so high-end consignment stores that sell around me, I will look there. Thanks, Hav, I just honestly hadn't thought about it. :)

• I get wicked deals from LL Bean and Lands End during their end of season clearance.  I can buy one size up for Parker because she's pretty consistent with her growth.  I just went into LL Bean and spent $41 on a skirt, pair of shorts and 4 shirts.  
  • @englishmajor03 - SOOOOOOOO happy to see you, girl. how the hell are ya?

I have an LL Bean and a Garnet Hill catelog - I will be flipping through both. Thanks!!!

• It's been hard for us. Target and Old Navy used to be my go-to but their older girl stuff in those stores is too short and/or tight for my taste. Julia's tall and skinny and only wears skirts and dresses but anything that fits her waist is shorter than I allow. I've had good luck at crew cuts (outlet store clearance prices are decent). Gap has only been okay but limited selection. Once in a blue moon I find something at target. Children's Place was great but is too short lately.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's been hard for us. Target and Old Navy used to be my go-to but their older girl stuff in those stores is too short and/or tight for my taste. Julia's tall and skinny and only wears skirts and dresses but anything that fits her waist is shorter than I allow. I've had good luck at crew cuts (outlet store clearance prices are decent). Gap has only been okay but limited selection. Once in a blue moon I find something at target. Children's Place was great but is too short lately.
    @penguingrrl - OMG yes, everything is too damn short!!! I got all the "skooters" (skirts with shorts built in) at Old Navy for $8 in the big girls section and leggings in XS and S. I refuse to purchase shorts but at least it's never really all that warm here for her to wear them. 

@penguingrrl - OMG yes, everything is too damn short!!! I got all the "skooters" (skirts with shorts built in) at Old Navy for $8 in the big girls section and leggings in XS and S. I refuse to purchase shorts but at least it's never really all that warm here for her to wear them. 
    I know! It's all the same stuff for up to age 14 and I guess that's supposed to appeal to 14 year olds? It's shorter than I'll allow my 14 yo out of the house in too though. So frustrating! I was able to get Julia a great skirt this season at crew cuts. Fits her waist beautifully and it's down to her knees! And it's a prinmt she loves (white with huge highlighter pink polka dots)!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We shop target and TCP. Hannah is a 10 right now. I'm not a fan of the neon trend. Cant wait for that to pass.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • DS is making this transition this year.  I loved shopping the toddler/5Ts.  I don't love the older boys clothes.  I do love H&M kids and will probably pick up most of his clothes there.  I just ordered DS's winter coat from Mini Boden.

April 2009
  • Yeah, we're moving my three year old into kids clothes since he's outgoing 5t. Yikes. I want to buy some stuff on clearance for next summer and I'm at a loss of where to go too. No advice just empathy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • OK, I have to laugh a little because my kids are VERY tall and DS#1 switched to little boy clothes right at age 4 and DS#2 switched at not even 3 years old.  At age 6 DS#1 is even starting to get into some of the big boy clothes.  So anyway, fortunately DS#2 gets hand me downs from his bother, and that is helpful.  We've also been going to Once Upon a Child - ours just had a $1 clearance sale and I got 8 items (most of the boy stuff was pretty picked over, but I grabbed up anything that fit my kids!)  I also pay close attention to sales at The Children's Place and use their coupons and get free shipping online when they offer it (several times a month).  At this point, I'm much more concerned about my grocery bill!!  haha
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • CnAmom said:
    This thread is making me so happy that I have boys. I would die if I had to weed through the stuff that really isn't appropriate for little girls.
    I was just thinking the same thing.
  • meglewmeglew member
    I agree!  DD wears 6/7(s) or 8(m) in some things because she is tall.  She is starting kindergarten this fall and I feel that there are A LOT of items that are too grown up looking for her.  I agree with the pps on Crewcuts being my absolute favorite.  We also shop a lot from Hanna Andersson and a few things from Old Navy.  I am fine spending a bit more on their clothes because they have held up so well, that DD2 will be able to wear some of the staple pieces.

@penguingrrl - my DD has the hot pink polka dot top from Crewcuts and loves it too!  She is actually wearing the hot pink striped dress and matching headband today.
    DD #1 - 01.08
    DD #2 - 03.13
  • DD1 just turned 7 and is a size 7/8, sometimes a size 10. I haven't had any problems finding age appropriate clothes for her. Oshkosh is my favorite because it fits slim enough, but I also shop at Target, Kohls, Shopko, TCP, ON, Crazy 8, and Gymboree.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • My 4 year old is super skinny too. She is wearing 18 month shorts today lol! She is 44 inches tall and 24 pounds. The big girl sections scare me! They look cheap, with scratchy material not good for my sensory avoiding DD, plus they look like miniature bar clothes lol! No advice but I feel your pain!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • pastalady said:
    My 4 year old is super skinny too. She is wearing 18 month shorts today lol! She is 44 inches tall and 24 pounds. The big girl sections scare me! They look cheap, with scratchy material not good for my sensory avoiding DD, plus they look like miniature bar clothes lol! No advice but I feel your pain!
    @pastalady - hahaha at "miniature bar clothes". Yes. 100x yes. The slogans and hipsters sayings I hear from the Jr. High kids walking by my house in the afternoons are not what I want on the front of my child's t-shirts. 

• pastalady said:
    My 4 year old is super skinny too. She is wearing 18 month shorts today lol! She is 44 inches tall and 24 pounds. The big girl sections scare me! They look cheap, with scratchy material not good for my sensory avoiding DD, plus they look like miniature bar clothes lol! No advice but I feel your pain!
    Wow, she's skinny! I refer to them as prostitot clothes lol! Love miniature bar clothes too!
  • @penguingrrl - prostitot. omg ahahahaha

• @TobeMrsShavers, my BFF has a tall and thin little girl too.  She has found the Jumping Beans line at Kohl's works well for her daughter because they tend to run a smaller in the waist. 

She also buys a lot of Carter's because they fit her daughter really well.
    This is true for Moira as well. She has a "tiny hiney" and so a lot of pants fall down on her, but she has long legs. Jumping beans does work for her for play clothes. 
    I've had luck with Gap in the store, but I agree. Mo is a size 6 at 5 yos and I am not looking forward to moving out of Carters. :(
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • @KateMW has does the JCrew factory brand compare to Crew Cuts off their regular site?

• You guys are so helpful, thank you very much.

I've never heard of Crew Cuts, I'll be looking that up for sure! :)

• @penguingrrl I haven't heard someone use the word prostitot in years---since I was in hs probably. I swear that must be a Jersey phrase, because no one outside of Jersey seems to have heard it ever. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Too funny! I don't remember where and when I heard it. @notwifezilla crew cuts outlet is definitely comparable to regular crew. They have an awesome outlet in the Jersey Shore outlets in Tinton Falls (Parkway exit 100 I think.... yes I'm from Jersey lol) if you're ever around these parts.
  • You guys are so helpful, thank you very much.

I had never hear of it either until someone mentioned it on here. We went to an outlet on vacation and they had a Crew Cuts. I got some cute stuff for both DD and DS.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • jnksmom said:
    You guys are so helpful, thank you very much.

I had never hear of it either until someone mentioned it on here. We went to an outlet on vacation and they had a Crew Cuts. I got some cute stuff for both DD and DS.
    The outlets are my crack. LOVE them. 

It's similar to the prices and stock of the factory website, but MORE!
  • Too funny! I don't remember where and when I heard it. @notwifezilla crew cuts outlet is definitely comparable to regular crew. They have an awesome outlet in the Jersey Shore outlets in Tinton Falls (Parkway exit 100 I think.... yes I'm from Jersey lol) if you're ever around these parts.
    I'm going to check out the Philly Premium Outlets to see now if they have JCrew outlet, since it's literally 2 miles away from my parents. Thanks ladies!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"